New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

Disney literally encourages people to do other stuff while “waiting”. The change they are implementing will help the system work better but nuking it the way they did has made a ton of people concerned. The changes should have been made then see the impact and proceed from there
Yes, I know Disney encourages, and I'm saying that they shouldn't do so. DAS is not supposed to provide an advantage, but it most definitely does, and that should be stopped.

NotTheOne

I think if Disney really wanted to kill the appeal of DAS for those who don’t quite need it, an impactful change would be requiring the user to be within range of the attraction to book it. A digital version of paper DAS, but without the ability to manufacture one’s own cards or written times. I can’t see a world in which they attempt to police what a user is doing during the wait.

I doubt we see this kind of thing though, it doesn’t seem to be the road they’re going down, but that’s just my opinion.
I can't see them doing it real time, but I certainly believe it's doable as an after-the-fact IF it's made clear in the DAS terms of use that the DAS user is not permitted to wait in a standby queue while holding a DAS time.

dreamfinder912

I'm lost in the acronyms but I was told when I asked two days ago at space mountain that I would be allowed to leave the queue after I made it to merge and told that cm that I needed to leave, and then would be brought back to merge upon my return. Which is completely useless, if I could make it to merge in standby I wouldn't be in this situation. When I've asked at other attractions I get a different answer depending on the day. It's extremely frustrating and confusing. It's difficult enough to have to go "can my mind/body do this today" now I have to also add in "will the person I talk to be willing/able to help today." (I say willing/able bc of the rumors they'll be reprimanded for issuing return times. They may be willing to help but have to consider their own job security)

There were many, many solutions to DAS overuse than to do -this-

Eliminate pre books (I never understood those anyway) and use a location based booking the way you have to do to get on a waitlist for a restaurant.

Or, the wild one they'd never consider, increase ticket prices and return to fp+. A LOT of disabled folks could make fp and fp+ work in ways that we can't get g+ to work. The bottom line remains the same. Guest flow improves. DAS is there and functional for the folks who need more than fp/fp+ can offer. There are many solutions that are functional for lots of people and the company. They just didn't choose one of those.

And please, for all those celebrating the end of the old DAS, it is not just the boogyman APer riding mine train a dozen times a day, it's real people with real disabilities losing functional access to a place they love. Please, please be kind.

ditzee

Wow. That's certainly not ideal. Looks like they've passed the tipping point on this.

Did 60 day ADRs yesterday, and it was remarkable to see the availability.
There were reservations available at CRT a couple of weeks before our trip. That was a reservation that used to poof almost immediately right at the 60 day mark. With the exception of Sci Fi and CRT (didn't want it but checked anyway) we could make table service reservations anywhere while at Disney World. The Disney road signs were showing rooms available as we were driving from one park to another.
Don't think DAS would be affecting much as far as lines at this point, except maybe for people who didn't realize that video chats are the only way to get it now.
They are all over the place.
The only umbrellas I saw had guests under them trying to get shade unless cast members no longer wear uniforms.

CampbellzSoup

I'm lost in the acronyms but I was told when I asked two days ago at space mountain that I would be allowed to leave the queue after I made it to merge and told that cm that I needed to leave, and then would be brought back to merge upon my return. Which is completely useless, if I could make it to merge in standby I wouldn't be in this situation. When I've asked at other attractions I get a different answer depending on the day. It's extremely frustrating and confusing. It's difficult enough to have to go "can my mind/body do this today" now I have to also add in "will the person I talk to be willing/able to help today." (I say willing/able bc of the rumors they'll be reprimanded for issuing return times. They may be willing to help but have to consider their own job security)

There were many, many solutions to DAS overuse than to do -this-

Eliminate pre books (I never understood those anyway) and use a location based booking the way you have to do to get on a waitlist for a restaurant.

Or, the wild one they'd never consider, increase ticket prices and return to fp+. A LOT of disabled folks could make fp and fp+ work in ways that we can't get g+ to work. The bottom line remains the same. Guest flow improves. DAS is there and functional for the folks who need more than fp/fp+ can offer. There are many solutions that are functional for lots of people and the company. They just didn't choose one of those.

And please, for all those celebrating the end of the old DAS, it is not just the boogyman APer riding mine train a dozen times a day, it's real people with real disabilities losing functional access to a place they love. Please, please be kind.

I think everyone is being kind. Pushing back to close loopholes isn't unkind. The stories I've been seeing make my eyes roll—Disney is literally putting people’s lives at risk who can't wait in line, only to use the Lightning Lane and... wait in line.

The type of fraud I’ve seen isn’t just limited to Disney it’s all over people have legit zero shame so it shouldn’t surprise anyone that this is ripe as well for abuse.

RamblinWreck

Yes, I know Disney encourages, and I'm saying that they shouldn't do so. DAS is not supposed to provide an advantage, but it most definitely does, and that should be stopped.
I agree.

Over a year ago I pointed out on another forum that if they really thought DAS abuse was rising that the first logical thing would be to install tapstiles at all ride entrances, LL and Standby, and prevent DAS users from riding other rides while they wait for their DAS reservation. It would be a good way to disincentivize the cheating while maintaining the intended benefit.

The vitriol I was met with was disturbing.

homerdance

But they do “blindly accept” other needs such as hearing loss, service animals, allergies, etc.

Of course, DAS is unique since it does provide an advantage in the parks - the closest comparison would be handicap parking spots which again Disney can’t argue about, you either have the tag or not.
You want to talk about a system full of abuse. 9 out of 10 cars on our last trip we saw everyone in the car jump out and jog/run to the gates. So many slimy people.

homerdance

But unfortunately there are lots of shady parents out there willing to lie to get what they think they or their children deserve. I see it every single day in the schools.
I can understand a parent wanting to provide the best experience for their kids. It’s why it’s unfortunate that Disney doesn’t offer a paid way to get a similar experience as DAS. The VIP experiences used to be impossible to get.

I am in no way saying it's ok to lie or advocating for people to bend the rules. But i understand it.

Angel Ariel

You want to talk about a system full of abuse. 9 out of 10 cars on our last trip we saw everyone in the car jump out and jog/run to the gates. So many slimy people.
Accessible parking permits are given for multiple reasons, not all are physical disability. Some are cognitive and/or developmental, or related to safety risks such as elopement - none of which would necessarily impact a person's ability to jog/run.

TrainsOfDisney

F224D074-FF09-4133-89CA-43EE3B40879A.png

RamblinWreck

People get extremely angry when they don’t get their preferred line skip accommodation.
I think it also speaks to why Disney didn’t bother with solutions like that. They were going to face the same backlash regardless of what they did.

I’m not here to insult anyone’s disabilities and I’m sure many people are able to much more safely and comfortably enjoy the parks with DAS-like accommodations.

But there’s some serious entitlement on display when you will berate someone suggesting the idea of eliminating one of the aspects of DAS that invites abuse, while still maintaining all of the intended benefits.

ditzee

I can understand a parent wanting to provide the best experience for their kids. It’s why it’s unfortunate that Disney doesn’t offer a paid way to get a similar experience as DAS. The VIP experiences used to be impossible to get.

I am in no way saying it's ok to lie or advocating for people to bend the rules. But i understand it.
Really? We never had a problem getting a private VIP tour if that's what you mean. My favorite was the semi private VIP tour because it was about 1/4 the cost. Wasn't private but with only about 10 people, it wasn't bad.

homerdance

There may be a lawyer or 2 that would take on Disney if you are willing to pay their retainer and all the costs up front..but it will be a lot $$$$$ or more to fight Disney, especially since they "Disney" make you sign the no class action suit thing.
I would think you would have better luck filling a complaint with the DOJ regarding giving up your rights to sue as part of a class to find out if you can be accommodated via DAS vs the legality of DAS.

lazyboy97o

I think if Disney really wanted to kill the appeal of DAS for those who don’t quite need it, an impactful change would be requiring the user to be within range of the attraction to book it. A digital version of paper DAS, but without the ability to manufacture one’s own cards or written times. I can’t see a world in which they attempt to police what a user is doing during the wait.

I doubt we see this kind of thing though, it doesn’t seem to be the road they’re going down, but that’s just my opinion.
The remote selection ability was intentional feature to address those who become fixated on certain subjects.

Basil of Baker Street

I agree.

Over a year ago I pointed out on another forum that if they really thought DAS abuse was rising that the first logical thing would be to install tapstiles at all ride entrances, LL and Standby, and prevent DAS users from riding other rides while they wait for their DAS reservation. It would be a good way to disincentivize the cheating while maintaining the intended benefit.

The vitriol I was met with was disturbing.
I also think this is the best solution going forward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom