New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

TrainsOfDisney

Disney not charging for Fastpass never, ever made sense to me (even if the OG Fastpass did help with park ops) because those aspects can be realized through paid “Fastpass equivalents” as well.
It made sense from a guest relations perspective. Disney Parks, at one time, really did excel in guest relations / customer satisfaction. I remember a bottled coke at Disney Parks was like $2 when it was $4 at six flags. There was a line that Disney tried to walk in order to be both profitable and also leave guests happy and wanting to return.

In relation to DAS, a free fast pass system would solve the problem for many guests needs who don’t qualify for the new DAS system, but still need to skip the line for any number of reasons.

The pay for fast pass issue is part of the problem here.

DoubleSwitchback

Not exactly, the new rules came into effect on 5/20/2024 and one of the rules was that you could no longer go to guest services to get approval for DAS.

I'm sure there have been some who tried to go through GS since 5/20 and where told they would have to call and do a video chat and some would have been rejected, others may not even have made the effort.
A lot of the past few posts are talking past each other with vacationers versus APs/power users. I think the summary is:
  • Most casual vacationers are long past having DAS under the old rules
  • In 10 days, no one will have preselects left
  • APs/power users could potentially still be under old approval rules until July 18th, and I'd think most were savvy enough to renew under the 60 day limit as late as possible

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
It made sense from a guest relations perspective. Disney Parks, at one time, really did excel in guest relations / customer satisfaction. I remember a bottled coke at Disney Parks was like $2 when it was $4 at six flags. There was a line that Disney tried to walk in order to be both profitable and also leave guests happy and wanting to return.

In relation to DAS, a free fast pass system would solve the problem for many guests needs who don’t qualify for the new DAS system, but still need to skip the line for any number of reasons.

The pay for fast pass issue is part of the problem here.
I agree on that front (and the “nickel and diming”) feeling Disney is giving off now, but not when it is causing other people to have worse experiences in the park, which has always been the case with DAS due to it being far to good of a perk and rampant, unfettered abuse of the system. Genie+ just made it more obvious to the point where it had to be addressed, but even in the Fastpass+ days DAS was regularly taking up a a significant amount of a Fastpass queue’s capacity.

I know paid fastpass is a touchy subject, but I don’t think charging for fast pass is as inherently evil as people act. I actually think it is the better approach (not because it helps me personally but because it hurts me). Europa-Park’s (which is otherwise absolutely phenomenal) free Fastpass system just shouldn’t exist at all. It artificially inflates waits for no reason, only really helping the avid theme park goer while making everyone else’s day worse. The nature of a paid fast pass system moves the groups of people that benefit from the system to one’s that don’t “need” it to one’s more likely that “do,” at least based on my understanding of park ops and how this has been playing out.

Mem11

A lot of the past few posts are talking past each other with vacationers versus APs/power users. I think the summary is:
  • Most casual vacationers are long past having DAS under the old rules
  • In 10 days, no one will have preselects left
  • APs/power users could potentially still be under old approval rules until July 18th, and I'd think most were savvy enough to renew under the 60 day limit as late as possible
I agree, but anybody that tried to get one in the parks after 5/20 is being effected. So the new rules are in effect for some before 6/20. That was my only point.

Angel Ariel

I'm sure there have been some who tried to go through GS since 5/20 and where told they would have to call and do a video chat. Some would have been rejected, others may not even have made the effort.
Guest relations now gives people iPads to do the video call from the park rather than have the GR CM do it.

Keep in mind international travelers often have no choice but to get it upon arrival as they are blocked from the pre vosit registration website - so it's not that the process can't be done once you're onsite - I can, they just have the parks set up to also send you to the video call. At Disneyland it's going to be one of the old ticket windows in the esplanade.

RamblinWreck

DAS interviews started under the new rules for WDW on May 20. Any DAS issued June 19th or before was under the old rules and expires 30 days after issuance. We should see most if not all of these expire on or before June 20th.
Anyone with an AP could have theoretically extended a DAS pass to mid July.

For AP holders registering under the old rules as May 20 approached, you could register 30 days prior to the start of your trip and the pass was good for 30 days (starting from the start of that trip).

I personally know someone who has one that doesn’t expire until July 3.

DoubleSwitchback

Anyone who is there now & needed DAS are under the old rules None are expiring so any numbers regarding wait times have Zero to do with any new rules for DAS…

You would be surprised how many vacationers find out about DAS close to their trip. I am trying to help a lady now who just found out three days before her trip.

(I agree that wait times don't have a lot to do with DAS, but for other reasons.)

Angel Ariel

That’s not quite true.

Many people were used to registering at a blue umbrella upon arrival.

Surely we have lost many of those.
Why? You can still register on site, guest relations CMs just direct you to iPads to connect to the video call to do so rather than doing it themselves. Haven't heard any reports of crazy onsite waits for the call to go through.

fairy8i8

Sorry, but I don't think the AP holders are typically the super users. Most AP holder experiences I read about go on a couple rides and get a bite to eat. They are very inefficient at touring the parks. Yes, you might have some, but it's more a personality (I have that personality of wanting to optimize), not a ticket type.

If you read some of @lentesta on other threads, it seems more that DAS use has TRIPLED in the last 5 years, and is way above national averages of disabilities. Yes, they have been flexible in the past, so the rise is much less abusers, but more legitimate needs that can be accommodated in other ways or that are sporadic, for which they now suggest return to the queue. Basically, Disney sees this as 2/3 of DAS users got by fine with the free system, but now they don't want to pay. Disney wants to increase their revenue, so they want those who got by before on the free system to use the paid system, just like mobility issues haven't gotten you a DAS in the past. They just told you to rent a wheelchair or scooter and pay $10-50/day for it. As a user, I know- I haven't ever gotten a DAS for mobility, and almost all regular queues are wheelchair friendly, so the comment that only LL are is false. The few rides that don't have ADA general lines have crazy long waits for wheelchairs- longer than standby often (Here's looking at you, Big Ball- and I wasted a fastpass learning I couldn't use one of my 3 pastpasses for it and instead had to wait an hour at the exit). Genie+ is less than a scooter rental.

In addition, there is abuse of DAS in that a way higher percentage of DAS users are using the LL line for the most popular attractions than they have DAS users and company. That means these people are repeat riding the best attractions over and over. While there may be some DAS users that could handle this and might like it, the likelihood of a child (or adult) who has serious issues in lines repeating headliners constantly is probably much lower.

Disney's approach right now is probably what is right for them. They want to wean most people off of DAS and get them on their paid system to level the playing field with other guests and increase revenue. They don't have to offer free accommodations, just like they don't have to offer free scooters. It just was nice that they did for so long for so many people and made their vacations much more magical and manageable.

Also, I wouldn't push for RTQ passes. I read something from a past employee that said that Disney now considers those money, and they are not wanting CMs to pass them out. Disney is limiting RTQ vouchers as a comp for any issue. Instead, expect the CM to offer to have you reconnect with your party through the fastpass line for an emergency or get scanned for rider switch, which would not get the CM tracked and audited by Disney.

TrainsOfDisney

The nature of a paid fast pass system moves the groups of people that benefit from the system to one’s that don’t “need” it to one’s more likely that “do,” at least based on my understanding of park ops and how this has been playing out.
You lost me on this… trying to understand what you are saying here

rk3668

You lost me on this… trying to understand what you are saying here
I am not sure if this is what the post meant exactly, but I think it is something like this: AP holders will not buy Genie+ every visit but would use FP+ every visit. They don't "need" a line skipping service because they have already been on every ride and have other chances to ride everything they want. A once every five years visitor will buy Genie+ for their four day trip, and they "do" need it so that they can ride the headliners. So, Genie+ benefits this second group of visitors more than free FP+ because they don't have to compete with as many of the first type of visitors (AP holders).

TrainsOfDisney

AP holders will not buy Genie+ every visit but would use FP+ every visit. They don't "need" a line skipping service because they have already been on every ride and have other chances to ride everything they want. A once every five years visitor will buy Genie+ for their four day trip, and they "do" need it so that they can ride the headliners.
Well if Disney charged passholders for FP access and not day guests that would be a different discussion.

ditzee

That’s not quite true.

Many people were used to registering at a blue umbrella upon arrival.

Surely we have lost many of those.
Maybe I was not looking in the right places but for the heck of it, I looked for blue umbrellas on our trip week before last and did not see one in any of the parks.

nickys

Premium Member
DAS interviews started under the new rules for WDW on May 20. Any DAS issued June 19th or before was under the old rules and expires 30 days after issuance. We should see most if not all of these expire on or before June 20th.
DAS is valid for the length of stay. If you apply 30 days before Day 1 and you have a 10 or 14 night visit, your DAS will be valid until the last day your ticket is valid for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom