New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

nickys

Premium Member
Honestly, parties should be limited to the user plus one person as well,
What about an adult who needs support but there are children in the party?
Or anyone who needs more than one person to support?
Or a solo parent with a child with DAS plus others?

For instance, wheelchair users should not automatically need a DAS pass.
They never did.

nickys

Premium Member
  • Most casual vacationers are long past having DAS under the old rules
  • In 10 days, no one will have preselects left
A guest whose vacation starts on June 18th may have applied on May 19th. They could have a 10 or 14 day ticket, valid for up to 18 days. They will be under the old rules.

Some people are reporting that they are still being offered pre-selects under the new system.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes, but these aren’t unusual situations.

I didn’t have to me to read all his post, so he might have addressed them later. But it was a pretty blanket statement.
In this context especially, I think it’s important to respect people’s experiences.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
What about an adult who needs support but there are children in the party?
Or anyone who needs more than one person to support?
Or a solo parent with a child with DAS plus others?
I wrote about possible exceptions. I don’t see why a more tailored approach couldn’t account for both those first two scenarios.

The third I don’t know if it’s as necessary as that is where the abuse stems from, but like I said, I wouldn’t consider narrowing party sizes down further unless other changes were exhausted first.

If you were in a wheelchair or “struggled to stand” it was extremely easy to get a DAS pass if you knew what to say, which is a reason why it was so abused.

Last edited:

lentesta

Premium Member
Had some time last week to count guests going into the standby and LL lines at Haunted Mansion.

Recall that an earlier count from September 2023 showed around 56% of guests using LL at HM.

Last week that was down to 43% of guests using LL.

13% seems to be a large shift. It would help lower standby wait times.

We'll count more in a bit.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Had some time last week to count guests going into the standby and LL lines at Haunted Mansion.

Recall that an earlier count from September 2023 showed around 56% of guests using LL at HM.

How are the crowds? I had heard that it's pretty dead.

Maybe also the novelty of usefulness of paying extra for G+ has worn off with the general public?

lentesta

Premium Member
How are the crowds? I had heard that it's pretty dead.

Maybe also the novelty of usefulness of paying extra for G+ has worn off with the general public?

Wait times are definitely down. Not sure how much of that is due to the DAS change.

I've heard table-service dining numbers are well into scary-low territory, with well-known and popular places at maybe 50% capacity some nights.

Here's Akershus for 6 pm dinner this past Friday:

1718023433187.jpeg

monothingie

Premium Member
Wait times are definitely down. Not sure how much of that is due to the DAS change.

I've heard table-service dining numbers are well into scary-low territory, with well-known and popular places at maybe 50% capacity some nights.

View attachment 790563
Wow. That's certainly not ideal. Looks like they've passed the tipping point on this.

Did 60 day ADRs yesterday, and it was remarkable to see the availability.

Fido Chuckwagon

Thank you @lentesta for continuing to do this kind of work. 13 percent certainly seems statistically significant. I'm glad we are starting to get some evidence that Disney's attempts to stop DAS abuse are bearing fruit.

DisneyCane

I am not sure if this is what the post meant exactly, but I think it is something like this: AP holders will not buy Genie+ every visit but would use FP+ every visit. They don't "need" a line skipping service because they have already been on every ride and have other chances to ride everything they want. A once every five years visitor will buy Genie+ for their four day trip, and they "do" need it so that they can ride the headliners. So, Genie+ benefits this second group of visitors more than free FP+ because they don't have to compete with as many of the first type of visitors (AP holders).
As a passholder for two decades not only won't I buy Genie+ on every visit, I won't buy it on ANY visit. I've experienced every attraction in the parks and the ones that I like I have experienced dozens or hundreds of times. Each visit I just need a few experiences each day to get value and enjoyment. I can wait 90 minutes for a headliner that I want to do and play with my phone in the queue. It doesn't matter that waiting so long lowers the number of things I can do.

My typical visit is arriving in the late afternoon one day, going on 2 or 3 rides and having dinner. The next day we'll usually hit one park for a few hours in the morning, go have lunch at DS, hit another park for 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon/evening and grab dinner. Then we'll usually hit Epcot on day 3 which is also departure day for breakfast and a couple of rides and then we'll drive home.

Adding Genie+ destroys the value proposition for me. If it got to the point where our typical itinerary required Genie+ and/or ILL purchases I'd stop renewing the passes and visit maybe once every other year for 4 days.

monothingie

Premium Member
As a passholder for two decades not only won't I buy Genie+ on every visit, I won't buy it on ANY visit. I've experienced every attraction in the parks and the ones that I like I have experienced dozens or hundreds of times. Each visit I just need a few experiences each day to get value and enjoyment. I can wait 90 minutes for a headliner that I want to do and play with my phone in the queue. It doesn't matter that waiting so long lowers the number of things I can do.

My typical visit is arriving in the late afternoon one day, going on 2 or 3 rides and having dinner. The next day we'll usually hit one park for a few hours in the morning, go have lunch at DS, hit another park for 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon/evening and grab dinner. Then we'll usually hit Epcot on day 3 which is also departure day for breakfast and a couple of rides and then we'll drive home.

Adding Genie+ destroys the value proposition for me. If it got to the point where our typical itinerary required Genie+ and/or ILL purchases I'd stop renewing the passes and visit maybe once every other year for 4 days.
I'm with you. I'm an AP Holder and I've only purchased G+ one time on the dozens of trips I've taken since the thing was released.

I think a lot of guests have learned to do stuff without G+ and/or a lot of people have just checked out completely from Disney Parks. For longtime returning guests with dozens and dozens of trips under their belts, G+ was just the motivation needed them to stop going, make fewer trip, or go somewhere else.

Disstevefan1

I will say with all the screaming about the vast abuse of the DAS system I am personally disappointed with only a 13 percent drop in LL use.

I would love to know what a 13 percent drop in LL feels like to both the LL queue and standby waits.

I am going to stick with my original opinion that the Genie+ is so inherently broken, the reduction in wait times will not be significant to actual folks who are wanting in the queues.

lentesta

Premium Member
I will say with all the screaming about the vast abuse of the DAS system I am personally disappointed with only a 13 percent drop in LL use.

I would love to know what a 13 percent drop in LL feels like to both the LL queue and standby waits.

I am going to stick with my original opinion that the Genie+ is so inherently broken, the reduction in wait times will not be significant to actual folks who are wanting in the queues.

Let me get more data. That's a secondary attraction, and it's one measurement.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

View attachment 790563
I’ve heard hotel bookings are at emergency type numbers…restaurants are getting there too.

Time to do layoffs and blame the staff…SOP

Figgy1

I did see on a FB page the case of an adult with autism who was approved for DAS, but only for herself - she was told that she can't add anyone else, and that if someone else comes with her to the park, she can have them wait in line and then meet up or they can buy Genie+.
i wonder if it was because she was able to advocate for herself

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom