New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

DisneyHead123

There's just no equivalence between the parent of a child, who has an IEP, requesting a meeting concerning that IEP, and a person who only got a RTQ line skip at a theme park instead of an unlimited DAS line skip calling the DOJ civil rights division to complain about this, and encouraging others to also tie up those resources and complain about it.
I think it’s silly to accuse someone of “spamming” a hotline when they’re using it specifically for its intended purpose. You feel differently so we’ll have to leave it at that.

Either way, we should probably keep this thread on track by talking about DAS, and not other posters.

C33Mom

This is the million dollar question. The ship has sailed on mounting any meaningful social media backlash for two reasons:
  1. The DAS community cannot agree on whether the right approach is to admit that changes were necessary and focus on one or two unsatisfactory aspects of the implemented changes to collectively push back against, or to insist that anything short of going back to the old system (and previous lack of discretion in awarding it) is unacceptable
  2. Savvy insiders and APs all knew about DAS, but the publicity around the changes and discussion of the old system has made more casuals aware and many are pretty furious; they were paying for Genie+, getting shut out, sometimes enduring long LL lines, not realizing how much of LL was an even better free service that was being abused. If anything, there's been a stronger anti-DAS backlash recently as more "standby people" are becoming aware
I agree about the lack of consensus in pushback— I think it stems from the fact that the majority of people who are complaining only care how it impacts them and aren’t interested in helping people with different or greater needs. A lot of people on this thread have made clear they believe they are entitled to full DAS and either deny there is a serious capacity issue or believe that only other people should be forced to make any sacrifices to fix it instead of trying to visit the parks with a smaller DAS party, AQR, or rider switch, etc.
It doesn’t surprise me that the non-DAS people are not sympathetic, especially since many of the people complaining come across as extremely entitled— when changes were announced there were dozens of people outraged that they might have to limit their DAS party to exclude grandparents, cousins, in laws, parties of 8, etc (and most assumed they wouldn’t have to). I think Disney intended DAS for families who would not use a huge amount of ride capacity, but it got completely out of control when it was expanded to meet additional needs for people who were superusers “on a good day” along with outright fakers and then it could be abused to allow large parties to ride 2x as many attractions as the average non-DAS guest.

However, the main reason I think the movement will fail is Disney doesn’t want the people who think their condition means they never should stand in line or even have anyone in their family in line but also balk at the idea of paying $20-40 for Genie+. If everybody who is angry actually boycotted, it might force Disney to pivot…but if only the people who won’t pay for G+ pivot, that’s a win for Disney— less DAS and less alternative accommodations as well, and more opportunities to make G+ more functional (and more expensive) for the people who will pay handsomely for a DAS-equivalent experience.
If they don't agree with the new policies, I am positive there are other places available to vacation in this country.
I think that is the answer…but I’m also wondering about what happens to Universal if it becomes the new hotspot for high level disability accommodations for everybody who used to use DAS.

Figgy1

I agree about the lack of consensus in pushback— I think it stems from the fact that the majority of people who are complaining only care how it impacts them and aren’t interested in helping people with different or greater needs. A lot of people on this thread have made clear they believe they are entitled to full DAS and either deny there is a serious capacity issue or believe that only other people should be forced to make any sacrifices to fix it instead of trying to visit the parks with a smaller DAS party, AQR, or rider switch, etc.
It doesn’t surprise me that the non-DAS people are not sympathetic, especially since many of the people complaining come across as extremely entitled— when changes were announced there were dozens of people outraged that they might have to limit their DAS party to exclude grandparents, cousins, in laws, parties of 8, etc (and most assumed they wouldn’t have to). I think Disney intended DAS for families who would not use a huge amount of ride capacity, but it got completely out of control when it was expanded to meet additional needs for people who were superusers “on a good day” along with outright fakers and then it could be abused to allow large parties to ride 2x as many attractions as the average non-DAS guest.

However, the main reason I think the movement will fail is Disney doesn’t want the people who think their condition means they never should stand in line or even have anyone in their family in line but also balk at the idea of paying $20-40 for Genie+. If everybody who is angry actually boycotted, it might force Disney to pivot…but if only the people who won’t pay for G+ pivot, that’s a win for Disney— less DAS and less alternative accommodations as well, and more opportunities to make G+ more functional (and more expensive) for the people who will pay handsomely for a DAS-equivalent experience.

I think that is the answer…but I’m also wondering about what happens to Universal if it becomes the new hotspot for high level disability accommodations for everybody who used to use DAS.
DAS for mobility is usually an elevator or ramp for ques that aren't accessible at UNI not DAS, they also require documentation for DAS in advance

Ayla

Universal didn't even cross my mind. There are hundreds and hundreds of other options.

ditzee

The person in this thread tied up a human being on the phone for some time, and encouraged others to do the same.
That person was me and hello, the people with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) work with people who are disabled. That's their job. If others want to call, great, if not, that's great too. I had questions some of which were answered and I shared what I learned. There was conjecture all over the internet so I thought I would go to those whose job it is to know the answers. If no one calls people who work with the Americans with Disabilities Act, then what's their purpose? We pay their salaries, don't forget. I got my money's worth.

DoubleSwitchback

Universal Hollywood's rides (the attractions themselves, not the queues) are nowhere near as accessible as Disneyland's, so I highly doubt that Universal parks will somehow become the hotspot for disabled guests who are denied DAS at Disney.
Can you say more about this? I'm not very familiar with Universal, I've only heard of it wrt being hard for very obese people. Are there other ways in which the rides themselves are generally less accessible?

Fido Chuckwagon

Can you say more about this? I'm not very familiar with Universal, I've only heard of it wrt being hard for very obese people. Are there other ways in which the rides themselves are generally less accessible?
It’s largely down to ride type. Universal doesn’t have many dark rides, it’s mostly motion simulators and thrill rides/coasters.

Angel Ariel

They're more thrill oriented and also heavy on screens/volume, so for those that struggle with things like bracing themselves or audio input (just two small examples, not exhaustive), it can make accessing attractions more difficult.

We went to UH earlier this year. We rode the new MarioKart ride. DD isn't able to keep the VR helmet on her head - too much pressure on her head. So while she could see the animatronics/physical aspects of the ride, she couldn't participate in the experience.

UH was nice for a one day experience for WWoHP, and we will try UO for Diagon Alley - but it is not a replacement in any way for Disney in terms of what DD can access.

MickeyLuv'r

Speak for yourself, thanks.

I have 50 years of visiting WDW without GAC or DAS, but I am sympathetic to the situation.

This thread I've read reads like the exact opposite of what you posed above, with non-DAS users posting over and over about pre-change DAS.

SamusAranX

CMs have reportedly been instructed to no longer offer Genie+ as a possible solution to guests who have been denied DAS and instead to perplexingly suggest using the free version of Genie to plan around projected low wait times.
Been saying for a bit now that hopefully they wouldn’t be doing that. It’s a minefield they need not attempt stepping in

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
The most common type of person threatening to resign (whether they will is another matter) tends to say things like "I'm an AP, I've gone 5 times a month for the past 10 years, and if someone like me is giving up on Disney, they'll be sorry!" and all I can think is that Disney would be dancing with joy to lose that type of guest.

Wrong. I go 6 times a month.

Touchdown

Sorry I missed yesterday but today looks like it’s another dead Saturday:

IMG_5213.jpeg

I suspect all the locals are avoiding the parks because of the heat and it has significantly affected wait times.

SamusAranX

I don't think it's a minefield, but no matter how Disney presents it, someone who has been denied DAS may hear it as an alternate disability accommodation that they're required to pay for. It's more of a perception thing.
Agreed, a perception minefield. It’s just better avoided; even if not illegal, bad publicity is something I’m sure WDW wants to avoid

fairy8i8

Universal Hollywood's rides (the attractions themselves, not the queues) are nowhere near as accessible as Disneyland's, so I highly doubt that Universal parks will somehow become the hotspot for disabled guests who are denied DAS at Disney.
As a person needing mobility assistance, Universal Hollywood is WAY more accessible. Also, I have boys, so even my ones with some disabilities love the rides, but they also like action/adventure. However, I wasn't sure how to access a lot of Nintendo World for them, even though we bought the bands because they have issues in crowds.

Angel Ariel

As a person needing mobility assistance, Universal Hollywood is WAY more accessible. Also, I have boys, so even my ones with some disabilities love the rides, but they also like action/adventure. However, I wasn't sure how to access a lot of Nintendo World for them, even though we bought the bands because they have issues in crowds.
As with all disabilities, of course it will vary person to person. DD loves rides. Tower of a terror is a favorite. So was guardians. But forbidden journey was a stretch for her not from content but the motion of the ride. We also struggled with mobility at UH in part because of the construction happening and the elevator access from upper lot to lower was not functioning.

Not being able to access Mario kart wasn't expected and was a bummer. Even for DH and I Mario kart was just disappointing. We bought the band for her too, and she couldnt even hit it on the blocks herself - it required more force than she is able to do.

Like I said - it was fun for us for a day, but not for a vacation.

NotTheOne

All of this!

My other favorite is seeing people complain about the medical professionals that are advising Disney and are on some of the calls... "What are their credentials?", "How are they qualified to make this decision?", etc.

I bet not of them ever complained when the medically ignorant CM was handing out DAS like candy.

ConfettiCupcake

Akin to what happened when GAC changed to DAS, I’m sure over time people will learn to accept this system. Once people realize that, for example, having a rollator doesn’t equate to getting an unlimited line skip no matter how intensely you yell at the cast members, the better it will get for everyone, as those people learn to use the new RTQ and AQR accommodations.

Will there be some attrition of those guests not going? Maybe a little, but it’ll likely be statistically insignificant, and Disney certainly won’t feel any pain.

I remember a huge discussion point at the time of the switchover being the GAC holder would never be able to handle the built in delay of the new DAS system. That has become virtually a non issue over the years since DAS was introduced. Either the people who were concerned ended up fine, they adapted, or they stopped visiting with no overall impact. People no longer expect to ever be able to enter the LL without some sort of delay.

I imagine this change will be the same. The vast majority will end up adapting to AQR or whatever the CMs are giving them at each attraction without much fanfare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom