New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Hockey89

The issue with lack of teachers is much more complicated, and goes into the lack of systemic support and appropriate pay and benefits for the profession over the course of multiple decades - for ALL teachers, not just special education teachers. The National teacher shortage isn't *because of* students with disabilities. This country also, on a federal level, promised funds and supports for students with disabilities that have never appeared.

Please let's not get into likening this complicated national systemic issue to DAS changes.
Teachers have some of the best benefits in this country.... Their medical plans destroy the private sector which pays for those benefits,,,

KrzyKtty

My point was that it is not rude, inappropriate or inconsiderate in our culture to call a disability compliance line with a good faith complaint. I wanted to provide some context for Fido as I don’t think he is familiar with the world of disability and how such things work in other contexts.

Whether or not that’s sustainable long term is another big conversation. It would probably be considered too political for the boards so I’ll leave my thoughts at this - I do think that DAS will become unsustainable as disability rates grow. And I think the solution is for Disney to make the parks more accessible overall. Their lines are out of control and they need to make the line experience in particular more user friendly for everyone.
No I understand. I was mostly piggy backing off of your statement to kind of give a thought that grew out of it.

KrzyKtty

The issue with lack of teachers is much more complicated, and goes into the lack of systemic support and appropriate pay and benefits for the profession over the course of multiple decades - for ALL teachers, not just special education teachers. The National teacher shortage isn't *because of* students with disabilities. This country also, on a federal level, promised funds and supports for students with disabilities that have never appeared.

Please let's not get into likening this complicated national systemic issue to DAS changes.
That is not exactly what I was doing. I was pointing out the fact that disney has more opportunities to change their system and are employing those.

Chi84

Premium Member
My point was that it is not rude, inappropriate or inconsiderate in our culture to call a disability compliance line with a good faith complaint. I wanted to provide some context for Fido as I don’t think he is familiar with the world of disability and how such things work in other contexts.

Whether or not that’s sustainable long term is another big conversation. It would probably be considered too political for the boards so I’ll leave my thoughts at this - I do think that DAS will become unsustainable as disability rates grow. And I think the solution is for Disney to make the parks more accessible overall. Their lines are out of control and they need to make the line experience in particular more user friendly for everyone.
I have mixed feelings about filing complaints with the DOJ.

The ADA is implemented by the DOJ. There are DOJ regulations covering some but not all disability accommodations. If a DOJ regulation requires a business to have wheelchair ramps and it doesn't, it makes sense to file a complaint even if you personally haven't tried to enter the business.

But there is no DOJ regulation requiring Disney to provide DAS or any other sort of line-skip system. So the absence of such a system in and of itself is not a violation of the ADA. It seems any person filing a complaint would have to rely on the general provisions of the ADA requiring a business to provide reasonable accommodation. In that case, it's possible the person would have to represent that the offered accommodation did not in fact accommodate their disability. Filing complaints on the basis that one has been denied DAS may be premature.

In any event, it makes more sense to complain to the DOJ than to hire a lawyer on the basis that you've been denied DAS.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Not the place for any debate on this topic.

So are a lot of the other items that have been tossed on this dog pile. The topic is "New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024". Its not a general diatribe. Disney announce a new rule replacing an old rule. So naturally discussions of other things not in any of the Disney Theme parks takes over and its a juggernaut of differing opinions with every side claiming moral superiority.

DisneyHead123

I have mixed feelings about filing complaints with the DOJ.

The ADA is implemented by the DOJ. There are DOJ regulations covering some but not all disability accommodations. If a DOJ regulation requires a business to have wheelchair ramps and it doesn't, it makes sense to file a complaint even if you personally haven't tried to enter the business.

But there is no DOJ regulation requiring Disney to provide DAS or any other sort of line-skip system. So the absence of such a system in and of itself is not a violation of the ADA. It seems any person filing a complaint would have to rely on the general provisions of the ADA requiring a business to provide reasonable accommodation. In that case, it's possible the person would have to represent that the offered accommodation did not in fact accommodate their disability. Filing complaints on the basis that one has been denied DAS may be premature.

In any event, it makes more sense to complain to the DOJ than to hire a lawyer on the basis that you've been denied DAS.
What are your thoughts regarding where people should direct their energy, if they don’t agree with the new policies?

So far going to social media seems to be the most common method of pushing back - and honestly, is probably one of the more effective methods. I would think conveying complaints to individual lobbying groups would be another route.

KrzyKtty

What are your thoughts regarding where people should direct their energy, if they don’t agree with the new policies?

So far going to social media seems to be the most common method of pushing back - and honestly, is probably one of the more effective methods. I would think conveying complaints to individual lobbying groups would be another route.
I say honestly, whatever the person feels is appropriate. I don't think any of them are going to be effective.

MickeyLuv'r

But I have also seen many teachers point out that the # of kids in a class with IEPs/504s is almost unsustainable. Class of 35 kids, over half have IEP/504s, all with very different, sometimes conflicting requirements, and only one teacher. That is why so many parents have issues with all of the requirements being met, there aren't enough teachers to meet all needs of every requirement for every student.

My point is even schools are reaching a breaking point, but unlike Disney, a school's options are limited. Disney is able to try to change their program to still get the people who need it, the accommodations they need.
On the other hand, a number of parents are not able to show up for IEP annual meetings. A great many parents have to work (multiple jobs) to make ends meet, that they can't afford to take time off from work, especially if they rely on public transportation.

Alas though, schools are not WDW.

Chi84

Premium Member

Those are probably the most common. I’m sure everyone is complaining to Disney, which is the right thing to do but probably ineffective since their decision has been made.

DisneyHead123

I say honestly, whatever the person feels is appropriate. I don't think any of them are going to be effective.
Those are probably the most common. I’m sure everyone is complaining to Disney, which is the right thing to do but probably ineffective since their decision has been made.
Agree, although I can actually see social media being one of the more effective routes. If there is enough backlash there I could see Disney making minor to moderate changes in hopes of decreasing that.

If there are any major changes I think those will stem from court challenges (Not saying these changes won’t hold up in court, as that’s not my area. Just saying if there were changes, I think that’s where they’d come from.)

DoubleSwitchback

This is the million dollar question. The ship has sailed on mounting any meaningful social media backlash for two reasons:
  1. The DAS community cannot agree on whether the right approach is to admit that changes were necessary and focus on one or two unsatisfactory aspects of the implemented changes to collectively push back against, or to insist that anything short of going back to the old system (and previous lack of discretion in awarding it) is unacceptable
  2. Savvy insiders and APs all knew about DAS, but the publicity around the changes and discussion of the old system has made more casuals aware and many are pretty furious; they were paying for Genie+, getting shut out, sometimes enduring long LL lines, not realizing how much of LL was an even better free service that was being abused. If anything, there's been a stronger anti-DAS backlash recently as more "standby people" are becoming aware

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

In the school system, if a child has an IEP, the child’s parents can call an IEP meeting at any time for any reason. That means teachers, therapists, and an administrator step away from their work with other students, substitutes need to be hired, etc. No one tells parents that they must really limit their meeting requests to when it’s dubbed “really important” or some such thing. If they want to meet 12 times a year or more, they have the right to.

My point is that this is how we choose to address issues of disability in this country. A person with a disability is not asked to stand back, wring their hands, and wonder if they are taking up someone’s precious time when advocating for their needs. Advocacy is generally very much encouraged in our culture. Grumbled about, maybe, but generally enshrined as protected and necessary.

If a person is reporting a violation in bad faith or due to a personal dispute that has nothing to do with disability, not ok. If it’s a genuine concern, they have the right to make that complaint.
There's just no equivalence between the parent of a child, who has an IEP, requesting a meeting concerning that IEP, and a person who only got a RTQ line skip at a theme park instead of an unlimited DAS line skip calling the DOJ civil rights division to complain about this, and encouraging others to also tie up those resources and complain about it.

Ayla

If they don't agree with the new policies, I am positive there are other places available to vacation in this country.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom