New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jennab55

I also understand the leagality of this, but I have the medical documentation to prove and we were still denied. I would have happily shown the Cast Memeber.
But what medical documentation would one need? A note stating they can’t wait in line or ANY medical documentation? My issue with the documentation is there are a lot of disabled people who can wait in line. Their disabilities do not prevent this. So does that mean just because they are disabled they would be eligible for DAS too? If so, that would just keep us in the same boat we are now with overuse…

If it is some sort of note or document that needs to be signed I feel that would be easy to obtain or possibly forge if it’s a form to fill out. There’s no one perfect solution unfortunately.

ConfettiCupcake

The simplest solution all along but also the most legally nebulous one is still, requiring medical documentation. Would instantly eliminate so many of the fakers

The choice not to do this is an indicator to me that they were more concerned with cutting legitimate use than they were fakers. The fakers are IMO a convenient scapegoat for Disney.

My guess is they had reasons to suspect a bulk of the use was made up by people with real issues that can be accommodated in other ways in Disneys opinion.

jaklgreen

In all fairness, in my post, I did state it was related to videos I saw on TicTok. There is so much misinformation being spread there that when I point it out to multiple people that there is a difference between RTQ and AQR, they were genuinely flabbergasted.

I also did state that here was a lot different in my follow on post.

And it's not like I am not empathetic, I do live with a disability every single day. Dr's are constantly dumbfounded by my skewed pain scale because of it.
Tictok is just a weird entity in itself. It really is sad how people see something on that forum and actually believe it to be true. But again, this is where Disney could do a better job of getting information out there.

ConfettiCupcake

Tictok is just a weird entity in itself. It really is sad how people see something on that forum and actually believe it to be true. But again, this is where Disney could do a better job of getting information out there.

TikTok is so sensitive to what you’ve already viewed too. If you watch a couple DAS related videos in their entirety you’ll be flooded with them until you stop engaging or they run out. Definitely can make it seem like certain viewpoints, opinions, and experiences are more prevalent than they may actually be.

jaklgreen

the "massive space" is a logistical issue. Has no bearing on the legality of the solution, or the simplicity/ease of it. In fact, if this would get to court as argument, it would likely be Disney arguing that building separate waiting area's into each of its rides to accommodate people is too intrusive/expensive an undertaking to render it an unreasonable accommodation, as opposed to people arguing legally it was an insufficient accommodation.
Can you imagine having a big, air conditioned space, possibly with them selling snacks just for those with disabilities? Everyone would want to be let into this amazing lounge. LOL

Fido Chuckwagon

My guess is they had reasons to suspect a bulk of the use was made up by people with real issues that can be accommodated in other ways in Disneys opinion.
It’s definitely this. Again I point to the poster in this thread who bragged that he used his “heat sensitivity” disability to also avoid waiting in air conditioned queues because “Disney’s IT was too incompetent to stop him.” That type of abuse was almost certainly widespread; People with legitimate disabilities who were nonetheless using a service they did not need.

KrzyKtty

That I can agree with whole heartedly. There is still ways to clarify how systems will work without spilling so much they're worried about people gaming the system.

SamusAranX

But what medical documentation would one need? A note stating they can’t wait in line or ANY medical documentation? My issue with the documentation is there are a lot of disabled people who can wait in line. Their disabilities do not prevent this. So does that mean just because they are disabled they would be eligible for DAS too? If so, that would just keep us in the same boat we are now with overuse…

If it is some sort of note or document that needs to be signed I feel that would be easy to obtain or possibly forge if it’s a form to fill out. There’s no one perfect solution unfortunately.
A document notarized and signed by the disabled guest and/or their guardian, from a doctor or medically qualified person stating 1. The person in question 2. Their disability 3. Exactly the what and why of their diagnosis that specifically affects their ability to wait in line physically. Disney then requires signature on a document attesting this document was not fraudulent and the consequences of such (lifetime ban and/or legal consequences of forgery)

Chip Chipperson

We can still have a discussion without people telling those with disabilities that they will be just fine with other accommodation. I don't know how anyone can claim to know other's medical conditions to say that. That absolutely comes off as rude and ableist at worst, and insensitive at best. How can these random posters know what my medical condition is to say that I will be just fine with the return to line, as an example? They don't, and that is the point that I am making.
It is bad enough having medical issues without people telling you that you exaggerating or downright scamming. It is not too much to ask to keep that kind of discussion out of this.
Unless there were posts deleted by mods that I didn't see, nobody has told you specifically that you don't need DAS. It should be obvious to anyone that not everyone disability requires DAS and nothing else could possibly work. That is a fact. It may or may not apply to your situation - I don't know because I haven't seen you post any details about your condition (and you are perfectly within your rights to not share that information here). The point is, posters pointing out that not every disability orevery autistic person requires DAS is not directed at you. We're just stating a general fact without directing it at you.

KrzyKtty

I have read every single post in this discussion and no one is getting hysterical. Come on.
I think this was just a confusion of communication. I was stating that comments and videos on tiktok were getting hysterical. Things have been much more level headed here. I actually tried to tell a few different people to come here to see if it helped provide them clarification.

KrzyKtty

A document notarized and signed by the disabled guest and/or their guardian, from a doctor or medically qualified person stating 1. The person in question 2. Their disability 3. Exactly the what and why of their diagnosis that specifically affects their ability to wait in line physically. Disney then requires signature on a document attesting this document was not fraudulent and the consequences of such (lifetime ban and/or legal consequences of forgery)
In all fairness doctors do sometimes throw documents around like that like candy.

Honestly I don't think there is any perfect system. I do wonder why they decided not to do something more Like what universal does though🤔

jennab55

It’s the #3 that’s REALLY important. I worry drs will just write it for people in wheelchairs because they are asked (in my example it’s someone who could still wait in line and just had mobility issues). I honestly don’t think it would be that hard to get my dr to write this for me or my husband’s dr for him (and it’s our son, not us who has gotten DAS in the past). I could tell my dr there’s an option for people with anxiety but I need her signature on a document and I bet she would do it. Now is that right or wrong? Hard to say… I just don’t think it would fix the problem.

KrzyKtty

It’s the #3 that’s REALLY important. I worry drs will just write it for people in wheelchairs because they are asked (in my example it’s someone who could still wait in line and just had mobility issues). I honestly don’t think it would be that hard to get my dr to write this for me or my husband’s dr for him (and it’s our son, not us who has gotten DAS in the past). I could tell my dr there’s an option for people with anxiety but I need her signature on a document and I bet she would do it. Now is that right or wrong? Hard to say… I just don’t think it would fix the problem.
This. The number one thing people stupidly admit to at my work all the time when turning in accomidation/disability paperwork is the Dr asking them what they want so they include what they want on the form. They basically admit the doctor just puts in what they tell them to.

SamusAranX

The choice not to do this is an indicator to me that they were more concerned with cutting legitimate use than they were fakers. The fakers are IMO a convenient scapegoat for Disney.

A cynical take but reasonable. But the documentation option I presented just now in another post would solve that. It shouldn’t be a note saying “x person has anxiety and can’t wait in lines”. It needs to lay a clear and specific line of symptoms and reasons and how it affects that specific scenario

SamusAranX

Again will the doctor be willing to sign a notarized document WITH the specific reasons and symptoms? I feel that is a barrier to exaggeration as most doctors won’t sign a legal document as such if they don’t personally evaluate and know that those are your actual symptoms

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom