New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chip Chipperson

No, @Club Cooloholic keeps trying to present scenarios where Disney will or should stop someone from forgoing accommodations. It’s an attempt at trying to catch people being hypocritical while ignoring the vast spectrum of scenarios.
All Club Coolobplic said was that Disney would tell the guest with a shrimp allergy that they cannot make shrimp scampi shrimp-free while keeping the shrimp in the dish.

lazyboy97o

All Club Coolobplic said was that Disney would tell the guest with a shrimp allergy that they cannot make shrimp scampi shrimp-free while keeping the shrimp in the dish.
Go back and read more. It was Disney refusing the dish. Someone with a shellfish allergy is allowed to order shrimp scampi with the shrimp. This was the latest hypothetical after others about preventing people from riding attractions if they seek accommodations for an issue that could be aggravated by the attraction. It’s a whole series of hypotheticals that seek to deny agency to those with disabilities.

Fido Chuckwagon

That is like sending an innocent man to jail just so the guilty one doesn't go free
It is true that our criminal justice system is predicated upon the notion that it is better to let 100 guilty men go free than to put one innocent man in jail. Unfortunately your analogy falls pretty flat when you change it to: “It’s better to let 100 cheaters lying about or exaggerating their disability and needs skip a line at an amusement park than it is to force one disabled person to use the return to queue feature.”

Fido Chuckwagon

The DIS poll is currently at 60% of those applying (under the new rules) have been granted DAS, 40% denied.
That makes sense. I doubt very many outright cheaters/liars were posting in that thread to begin with, so Disney is weeding out those with legitimate disabilities that nonetheless can be accommodated with RTQ, as they should.

Basil of Baker Street

Neither parents or individuals were deciding they needed DAS and just getting it. You always had to explain the need, and it was always Disney's decision who got it and who didn't. Yes, people learned to cheat the system - but it was still Disney making the decision to give it to them or not.
Sounds like the same plan going forward.

Fido Chuckwagon

Neither parents or individuals were deciding they needed DAS and just getting it. You always had to explain the need, and it was always Disney's decision who got it and who didn't. Yes, people learned to cheat the system - but it was still Disney making the decision to give it to them or not.
Under the old system it appears anyone could get it by providing any credible reason why they could not wait in line. That is not really very different from “I need DAS because I want DAS.”

Angel Ariel

Under the old system it appears anyone could get it by providing any credible reason why they could not wait in line. That is not really very different from “I want DAS because I need DAS.”
It's not the same as "I want DAS because I need DAS" - but whatever.

Regardless, the point is there is responsibility on Disney for this too. Yes cheaters are responsible for cheating. Disney is also responsible for the inconsistent application of their own training.

Basil of Baker Street

It's not the same as "I want DAS because I need DAS" - but whatever.

Regardless, the point is there is responsibility on Disney for this too. Yes cheaters are responsible for cheating. Disney is also responsible for the inconsistent application of their own training.
I think most would agree its 100% on Disney. If you come up with a system that is advantageous to exploit and not expect it to be exploited, the onus is on you.

Fido Chuckwagon

I agree that Disney bears responsibility for underestimating how awful people would be in abusing this accommodation meant for people who are so disabled they have no ability to wait in a conventional line.

Angel Ariel

I agree that Disney bears responsibility for underestimating how awful people would be in abusing this accommodation meant for people who are so disabled they have no ability to wait in a conventional line.
Given the GAC change and lawsuit change to DAS had already occurred, so Disney had prior experience with people doing worse things to game the system, it's going quite easy on them to chalk it up to underestimating.

Club Cooloholic

No, @Club Cooloholic keeps trying to present scenarios where Disney will or should stop someone from forgoing accommodations. It’s an attempt at trying to catch people being hypocritical while ignoring the vast spectrum of scenarios.

Yes. I was responding to the idea that Disney must accommodate every situation like they do with allergies. They certainly will attempt to but they cannot always. @lazyboy97o I am simply stating how it works, not how someone would want it to work

Club Cooloholic

Go back and read more. It was Disney refusing the dish. Someone with a shellfish allergy is allowed to order shrimp scampi with the shrimp. This was the latest hypothetical after others about preventing people from riding attractions if they seek accommodations for an issue that could be aggravated by the attraction. It’s a whole series of hypotheticals that seek to deny agency to those with disabilities.
Yes go back. It wasn't refusing the dish, it was refusing to provide an Allergy Accommodation for the dish, because there is none, if the customer is asking to leave in the shrimp which they are allergic to.
Anyway sorry this turned into a food allergy thread for a bit lol.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Yes go back. It wasn't refusing the dish, it was refusing to provide an Allergy Accommodation for the dish, because there is none, if the customer is asking to leave in the shrimp which they are allergic to.
Just to put an end to this conversation, my dh has a shellfish allergy, CHH has or had up until recently had a sign out front saying they could not accommodate fish/shellfish allergies due to risk of cross contamination or something close to that.
Some places can substitute chicken or tofu for fish or shellfish not all can or will. Hope that answers any questions on the subject but this really should be discussed in the dining section and I'm willing to answer allergy questions in PMs as everybody in my family has at least one

John park hopper

I have a deadly shellfish allergy also. when we ate at Rainforest cafe I told the server --the chef came out and talked to me and assured me they would not cross contaminate any of my food. My advice talk to the server and Disney will do whatever they can to accommodate allergy

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Just to put an end to this conversation, my dh has a shellfish allergy, CHH has or had up until recently had a sign out front saying they could not accommodate fish/shellfish allergies due to risk of cross contamination or something close to that.
Interesting - indeed that still seems to be the case. It’s weird they don’t list the uncrustable pb&j as an option.

Edit to add - this is an unusual exception- all other major MK counter service offer menu items for all allergies. I’m guessing it’s a combo of an older kitchen and a majority of a seafood menu. I do wonder if the older menu offered it though - they used to have some really great food there!
DBF95A9D-06A5-4A6E-8FB4-1DA2C221A969.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom