New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

maemae74

What benefit does it give the kids to lie about them having a disability in the school setting?
It is really more about the severity of their disability or health issues. It can affect how behavior issues are dealt with, modifications for work and/or test etc. Like I recently had one that lied about the severity of bathroom issues which led to the student being granted the ability to leave whenever. Took total advantage and would leave 2-3 times per hour. Was eventually got caught by camera maybe going into the bathroom 3 out of the 15 times he left that day. Spent the rest of the so called bathroom visits wandering the hall ways.

Figgy1

The wait may be longer but you can you use that time to grab a bite to eat , sit on somewhere with ac, hop on a ride with a lower wait time , or perhaps watch a parade. Something a no DAS guest don't get to without wasting valuable attraction time.
You make that sound easy or even doable, if only it was that easy Creating diversions can be nerve racking

Last edited:

jaklgreen

They ask specific questions. If you can't provide an answer that demonstrates why DAS is the only option that works, then you have to use the other options. It really isn't as complicated as you're trying to make it out to be.
I know what they ask, I have had DAS for several years. But people are already reporting that their children are being denied. And the sad part is that the scammers will absolutely know what to say to get DAS. This is not going to stop abuse, it will just keep legitimate people from getting the accommodations they need.

Chi84

Premium Member
I know what they ask, I have had DAS for several years. But people are already reporting that their children are being denied. And the sad part is that the scammers will absolutely know what to say to get DAS. This is not going to stop abuse, it will just keep legitimate people from getting the accommodations they need.
I’m not sure we can definitively say that at this time. Disney’s changes were made not only to stop abuse but also to reduce strain on the system from legitimate users. They want to give only the accommodation needed and no more than that.

The statistics stated earlier in this thread established that DAS couldn’t be sustained at its current level. Many people refuse to acknowledge the difficulty involved in stopping abuse within the constraints of the law. Just stop the abuse sounds great, but how? And what if more people need DAS than Disney can reasonably provide?

Many people are blaming Disney because they gave too much in the way of accommodation.

jaklgreen

I’m not sure we can definitively say that at this time. Disney’s changes were made not only to stop abuse but also to reduce strain on the system from legitimate users. They want to give only the accommodation needed and no more than that.

The statistics stated earlier in this thread established that DAS couldn’t be sustained at its current level. Many people refuse to acknowledge the difficulty involved in stopping abuse within the constraints of the law. Just stop the abuse sounds great, but how? And what if more people need DAS than Disney can reasonably provide?
I truly hope that they find a balance helping those who need it and getting rid of the abuse. WDW is very special to many people and it would be sad if some could not attend anymore because they have gone too far.

Last edited:

Mem11

The DIS poll is currently at 60% of those applying (under the new rules) have been granted DAS, 40% denied.
I must be looking at a different poll, but this is what I'm seeing:

Yes - 44.2%
No - 26.9%
RTQ - 17.3%
Other 11.5%
Total Votes 52

I'm guessing you're adding Yes and RTQ to get 60%?

Reading the thread it sounds like the people who think they are being approved for RTQ are being told this is one of the options they can request when they get to the attraction, if they aren't approved. I would call that a No along with Other making it 44.2% approved and 55.8% Disapproved, unless you can be pre approved for RTQ?

Again maybe it's a different poll, but this is the only one I could find.

TrojanUSC

I really wish people wouldn't call it a line skip system because the wait time to ride is equal or greater than the actual line

I think you'd have an easier time with this argument if people were given an air conditioned room to wait in and do nothing else except play on their phone or watch Disney movies. Instead they often ride other rides (in the regular queue or via G+), go watch a show, etc. So while yes you're actually waiting an amount of time, the system allows you to double dip, effectively getting twice as much done as someone just in a standby queue. This is one of the reasons that the majority of people using it were doing so for convenience, not for a disability which made it impossible for them to wait in a standby queue.

Figgy1

I think you'd have an easier time with this argument if people were given an air conditioned room to wait in and do nothing else except play on their phone or watch Disney movies. Instead they often ride other rides (in the regular queue or via G+), go watch a show, etc. So while yes you're actually waiting an amount of time, the system allows you to double dip, effectively getting twice as much done as someone just in a standby queue. This is one of the reasons that the majority of people using it were doing so for convenience, not for a disability which made it impossible for them to wait in a standby queue.
Without giving a roadmap to cheaters in my ds' case that would be way worse. Phone, not happening
Do you really wish people be miserable because the need DAS

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
But please remember that you are talking about people with disabilities. You’re assuming they have it as easy as non disabled persons, which is not true.

Also, the idea of containing people in a room is off-putting, to put it mildly.

Angel Ariel

Instead they often ride other rides (in the regular queue or via G+), go watch a show, etc.
Also known as - doing what Disney told them to do.

Being able to wait 5-10 minutes to ride teacups while waiting a 75 minute wait for SDMT doesn't mean the person was lying or cheating about not being able to wait the 75 for mine train.

While I understand the position that this feature makes it attractive to cheaters, people who were doing this with legitimate need for DAS were not cheating anything. If this were a huge concern Disney had, they would have removed this recommendation from the site with the updates to the new DAS. They haven't. People who qualify for DAS are still advised by Disney to ride other rides, watch a show, eat or shop while they wait for their return time.

TrojanUSC

But please remember that you are talking about people with disabilities. You’re assuming they have it as easy as non disabled persons, which is not true.

Also, the idea of containing people in a room is off-putting, to put it mildly.

Universal has such rooms for Child Swap, it's not unprecedented.

Angel Ariel

Universal has such rooms for Child Swap, it's not unprecedented.
At least the last time I used those rooms, (which granted has been a while) you aren't in there for the length of a standby wait. You're there for the time it takes the first party to ride, as we weren't brought there until we got to the boarding area. Again, 5-10 mins max is much different than 60 mins+.

Angel Ariel

an air conditioned room to wait in and do nothing else except play on their phone or watch Disney movies.
Also, you do realize this describes pretty much every pediatric hospital/medical waiting room? And that people who need DAS are also a population more likely to spend much more time in medical waiting rooms than most people? And that kids, especially, often have a lot more anxiety with medical waiting rooms, esp when they have to be there frequently? And that they do often spend a lot of time waiting, so these families know exactly what that experience is like for their kids?

I won't speak for anyone else, but we go to Disney to *escape* all of that for a little bit.

C33Mom

Also known as - doing what Disney told them to do.

…While I understand the position that this feature makes it attractive to cheaters, people who were doing this with legitimate need for DAS were not cheating anything. If this were a huge concern Disney had, they would have removed this recommendation from the site with the updates to the new DAS. They haven't. People who qualify for DAS are still advised by Disney to ride other rides, watch a show, eat or shop while they wait for their return time.
I completely agree with you that people who were the original (and current?) intended target for DAS were not cheating anything and I’d go a step further and say everybody else approved for DAS (without lying or exaggerating) wasn’t cheating anything either— the horrible problem is that plenty of people were cheating (either outright lying or significant exaggerating) because the DAS experience is so much better than G+ if you can also wait in 15-30 minute queues all day with or without other medical problems. The total number of people (DASholder and boarding group members) was unsustainable for Disney— so Disney dramatically narrowed inclusion to families who they think can’t/won’t use it to get on more rides than the average non-DAS guest.

Unfortunately, in addition to the outright cheaters, Disney now created this new class of extremely entitled ex-DAS user who genuinely believe they deserve to be able to use DAS (often doubling up with Genie+ or ILL) and that Disney made an illegitimate choice because: “AQR just won’t work for me” or “how can you expect my medical condition to prevent me from doing 7DMT at the exact same time as my kids and their spouses and their kids in our party of 8?”, etc. We’ve already seen people on boards shamelessly suggest they will manipulate their friends and family on their account to try to get around new DAS restrictions and I’m certain that many users with children who meet criteria for AQR or other limited accommodations are going to claim their children are much higher needs levels and they won’t even see themselves as fakers. I know someone who told me her daughter needed it for her ADHD and said daughter had an IEP so they had legal documentation…that might sound reasonable but that daughter is also currently attending an elite university, I pushed back gently and she told me that everybody does it and it’s Disney’s fault for making trips so expensive. Many people have convinced themselves it’s a victimless crime and/or they’re going to “stick it to the mouse” as an act of social justice. Others are saying they will sue because their medical issues don’t get the exact same treatment as major developmental disability limitations.

Because so many people are sure they are morally/legally entitled, I don’t think that just tightening the rules is going to be enough to save the system—I fear Disney will ultimately end the program and point to a 500% rise in severe [DAS qualifying conditions] in the inevitable litigation. I don’t know what the answer is, but Disney has access to a lot of data to do a better job sorting the outright fakers and liars from the new target audience and I hope they start making examples of people who used to travel as parties of 8 and are suddenly now “6 parties of severely autistic adults, 2 of whom have caretakers.”

I truly hope that DAS stays available for people (especially children) who genuinely can’t get on most rides without them, and the best way to do it is to make the product less desirable for fakers or seriously deter the people looking to exploit the system by enforcing real consequences. I don’t think they need to catch everyone—just identifying 10-25% of people who claimed a condition that one or more people in their party don’t actually have and banning them from the parks for a decade would seriously cut down on abuse.

nickys

Premium Member
I must be looking at a different poll, but this is what I'm seeing:

Yes - 44.2%
No - 26.9%
RTQ - 17.3%
Other 11.5%
Total Votes 52

I'm guessing you're adding Yes and RTQ to get 60%?

Reading the thread it sounds like the people who think they are being approved for RTQ are being told this is one of the options they can request when they get to the attraction, if they aren't approved. I would call that a No along with Other making it 44.2% approved and 55.8% Disapproved, unless you can be pre approved for RTQ?

Again maybe it's a different poll, but this is the only one I could find.
When I looked I just took the Granted and Denied figures.

Anyone being given RTQ or other options has been denied the actual DAS, therefore I assumed they are a subset of denied.

Otherwise it’s a crap poll.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom