New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

TrainsOfDisney

Disney has no legal obligation to blindly accept "I need DAS" without justification,
But they do “blindly accept” other needs such as hearing loss, service animals, allergies, etc.

Of course, DAS is unique since it does provide an advantage in the parks - the closest comparison would be handicap parking spots which again Disney can’t argue about, you either have the tag or not.

Grantwil93

That’s the crux of the problem. It’s such a desirable advantage that Disney is making millions selling a lesser form of the service to its guests.
Given how effective each of them are and how each system can restrict a guests day, DAS would be worth 2-300$ per person you see at some other parks for fast lane in comparison to what you get with G+

It works so incredibly well and isn't bound to any shred of capacity limits or availability outside of the 2 VQ rides.

It should work that well for those who have no other alternative when visiting. But clearly it's essentially too good to be given out to anyone who asks

jaklgreen

But you have to give them credit for at least trying to continue to provide DAS to those who really need it. Will they sometimes make the wrong decision? Most likely, but the program is being continued and alternate accommodations are being offered to those who don’t get DAS.

I doubt their decisions are arbitrary but they certainly will be difficult ones.
That is like sending an innocent man to jail just so the guilty one doesn't go free. It's 2024 for goodness sakes, it would be completely disgusting and heartless if theme parks didn't do anything for those with disabilities. No, I don't give them "credit" for doing the right thing. That should be the standard.

jaklgreen

Where are think Disney is going to get in trouble here is the anecdotal recommendations of medical advice. Things like suggesting noise canceling ear coverings can be construed as medical advice.
I just think that the would have a hard time showing why they approve some and not others, especially those with autism that they are denying. This year is the first year that I have not had a trip in almost 3 decades, baring the covid years. I am going to give it a year or so to see how they handle conditions like mine. Namely a solo traveler that has bathroom issues.

jaklgreen

Saying that Disney has to do whatever the guest says they need without question is not reasonable. That was established when Disney won the lawsuit over the switch from GAC to DAS.

We know people have lied to get DAS. We know people who got DAS legitimately have admitted to using it when it wasn't needed. We know that not every autistic person needs to skip the lines. Disney’s video calls are used to find out what obstacles a person has and respond accordingly. When someone says, "I need to skip the lines," it is not unreasonable for Disney to ask WHY they need that service and determine if that's really the only accomodation that is suitable or if it's just the preferred accomodation despite the alternatives being suitable. Disney has no legal obligation to blindly accept "I need DAS" without justification, nor are they required to have a policy granting DAS to every guest with autism. It is based on needs, not diagnosis.
I never said that Disney has to do whatever the guest says. I said that their website claims that DAS is for those with autism and similar issues. It does not say only severe cases of autism. So yeah, of course people are going to expect to get the DAS for their autistic kids if they had it before, since that is what Disney is saying. And they NEVER just gave a DAS to anyone saying they need it without explaining why.
Your post has no point to it because that is not what is happening and that is not what anyone is saying.

Grantwil93

I never said that Disney has to do whatever the guest says. I said that their website claims that DAS is for those with autism and similar issues. It does not say only severe cases of autism. So yeah, of course people are going to expect to get the DAS for their autistic kids if they had it before, since that is what Disney is saying. And they NEVER just gave a DAS to anyone saying they need it without explaining why.
Your post has no point to it because that is not what is happening and that is not what anyone is saying.
Literally this exact conversation happened constantly
-

"Hi, I need a DAS pass"

Guest Relations: "okay, what are your concerns about waiting in line?"

"I have anxiety"

Guest Relations: "okay, thanks. Let me see your ticket and who is with you? Perfect, you are all set, can I help you book your first ride?"
-
Wish I was exaggerating. That's literally all it was to get one.

TrojanUSC

-

"Hi, I need a DAS pass"

"I have anxiety"

Guest Relations: "okay, thanks. Let me see your ticket and who is with you? Perfect, you are all set, can I help you book your first ride?"
-

Literally know at least six people who have done this. The other common one was "I am on some medicine so I have to pee a lot." DAS granted every time. It was embarrassing the level of abuse out there.

rk3668

The website says it is for "Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar disorder, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time." That is not all guests with autism.

In the groups that I know well and go to Disney, nobody has ever gotten DAS. But, based on the way Disney was giving it out, I think each group has at least one member with some issue (type 1 diabetes, ADHD, on anti-anxiety medication, 'giftedness'-- they have an IEP at school that lists it as a disability and they 'need more stimulation' than the average guest) that they could have used to request getting one under the old system. If the DAS use percentage continued increasing like it was, the groups like the ones I know would be stupid to not get one too (or to just stop going to Disney). Something had to change and I think it had to include limiting the number of people getting DAS.

JMcMahonEsq

But they are. On their website they said DAS is for those with Autism. But several people have already said that their autistic child have been denied. How do you explain that? How do they decide who is autistic "enough"?
Because reasonable accommodations are not a one sizes fits all program. They are designed as providing reasonable accommodations for the individual and their needs, not a diagnosis. And not a reasonable accommodation for a whole group of people who are with the person who needs it.

Club Cooloholic

But they do “blindly accept” other needs such as hearing loss, service animals, allergies, etc.

Of course, DAS is unique since it does provide an advantage in the parks - the closest comparison would be handicap parking spots which again Disney can’t argue about, you either have the tag or not.
Hearing loss, service animal accomodations and allergies have no impact on other guests whatsoever. And even allergies, Disney will do it's best to accommodate a food allergy, but if someone says they are allergic to shellfish they are going to be told they can't have Shrimp Scampi...with shrimp

lazyboy97o

Hearing loss, service animal accomodations and allergies have no impact on other guests whatsoever. And even allergies, Disney will do it's best to accommodate a food allergy, but if someone says they are allergic to shellfish they are going to be told they can't have Shrimp Scampi...with shrimp
Once again, there is no system of control over guests with medical issues and/or disabilities. They do not stop people from making their own decisions.

ditzee

Service dogs may have an impact on other guests because some people are terrified of dogs. People cheat to get their service animals into the parks and on planes as well.

lazyboy97o

No but they will say they can't accommodate the allergy with dish.
You don’t know that. You keep trying to create absolutes you can control. Allergies are not uniform in their triggers or severity. There are also exposure therapies that people utilize with allergies. A plate of shrimp scampi with a reduced portion of shrimp may well be an accommodation.

KDM31091

Do you think every autistic person is incapable of waiting in line? I can guarantee you that's not the case. There are plenty of autistic people who function very well in their daily lives and you wouldn't even know they were autistic unless you know them very well.

They are deciding who needs DAS vs. other offered accommodations by asking questions about the person's needs and the issues they feel keep them from being able to wait in line like everyone else.
Exactly. That's why it's called the autism spectrum. Many people are on it. And not all of them, or even most of them, are so affected that they cannot wait in any type of line.

I'm not denying that for others, it can be crippling and indeed they need accommodation to reasonably enjoy themselves in the park. But the "need" part was getting very blurry. When DAS was much easier to get, of course anyone who vaguely felt they "needed" it would go for it, because why not? It was free and a way to avoid standing in long lines. This is why it became a monster, and now Disney is trying to undo the damage. Initially there will be outrage as with any major policy changes but eventually things will settle.

There's no 100% perfect system. Yes, some legitimate cases may end up being denied. And it's unfortunate. But it does not mean you cannot go to the park and enjoy many attractions considering there are several at every park that rarely have a long wait to begin with.

jaklgreen

-

"Hi, I need a DAS pass"

"I have anxiety"

-
But that is on Disney though, isn't it? I still don't see how they can decide which autistic kid is autistic "enough" from just a video call.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom