New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chip Chipperson

But they do “blindly accept” other needs such as hearing loss, service animals, allergies, etc.

Of course, DAS is unique since it does provide an advantage in the parks - the closest comparison would be handicap parking spots which again Disney can’t argue about, you either have the tag or not.
You answered exactly why it's different. Lying about a food allergy provides no benefit. Your food often takes longer to arrive and the options are fewer than the regularmenu - I know from personal experience. Plus, anyone could order the allergy-friendly food if they liked the taste better. Same with hearing aids. An accessible room for hearing impairments isn't a better room in any way. It just has visual smile/fire alarms that the other rooms don't. As for service animals Disney has stated that if they catch you lying about that (such as a "service" dog not behaving the way a trained service dog should act) then they can kick you out and ban you - so they're not really taking your word completely unquestioned there.

Chip Chipperson

I never said that Disney has to do whatever the guest says. I said that their website claims that DAS is for those with autism and similar issues. It does not say only severe cases of autism. So yeah, of course people are going to expect to get the DAS for their autistic kids if they had it before, since that is what Disney is saying. And they NEVER just gave a DAS to anyone saying they need it without explaining why.
Your post has no point to it because that is not what is happening and that is not what anyone is saying.
You're the one questioning how Disney determines if someone is "autistic enough" to get DAS and are selectively parsing their statement about who DAS is intended for. The full wording is, "DAS is one of the programs offered at Walt Disney World Resort theme parks intended to accommodate those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time." So it's not a matter of simply having autism or similar disorder - it's autism or a similar disorder that prevents you from waiting in line, which brings us back to my point that not everyone with autism is incapable of waiting in line and the interviews are designed to determine what difficulties a guest has and which of the available accommodations is sufficient based on the answers the guests provide during the interview.

Chip Chipperson

You don’t know that. You keep trying to create absolutes you can control. Allergies are not uniform in their triggers or severity. There are also exposure therapies that people utilize with allergies. A plate of shrimp scampi with a reduced portion of shrimp may well be an accommodation.
As someone with a food allergy, there are absolutely times when a dish cannot be altered to accommodate an allergy. Which dishes can be altered will vary depending on the allergy (and no business in its right mind would ever knowingly serve a reduced portion of shrimp to someone with a shrimp allergy because the risk of a lawsuit is too high) and how the dish is prepared. Add in the various festival food booths, holiday party offerings, etc. and there are plenty of things that will not be available to guests with specific allergies. If you disagree, tell me where I can get a gluten free soft Mickey Pretzel anywhere on WDW property. Or how they can modify a pre-made cake pop to be gluten free. I've been to 1 Halloween Party where there was a gluten free cake pop. Disney is the most accommodating place I've been in terms of food allergies, but they are not capable of making everything safe for every allergy. It isn't possible, not would it be reasonable to expect it. My condition is technically an autoimmune disorder, which means it is a disability under the law. I still don't expect DAS (and never even considered asking for it) and certainly don't expect Disney to make unreasonable accommodations for food. Kitchen space is limited and they do the best they can. The same applies to DAS. Capacity is limited (even if they expand all 4 parks to an incredible degree) and there are limits to what can reasonably be expected of them when accomdating guests with disabilities.

ConfettiCupcake

If food allergies allowed guests to walk straight into a QS and bypass the line, or dine at TS without a reservation or walk up wait, maybe this would be a remotely comparable conversation and Disney might be a little concerned with making sure users had legitimate allergies.

There’s literally no benefit to claiming an allergy when you don’t need the allergy friendly item.

TrainsOfDisney

If you have an allergy to shellfish, and ask from them to make shrimp Scampi with the shrimp I have a feeling the chef will look at you like you might be nuts, as well as say we can't make it allergy friendly while including the shrimp.
I’m so confused by this… what point is trying to be made? Is this the DAS argument for back pain and wanting to ride a coaster?

TrainsOfDisney

There’s literally no benefit to claiming an allergy when you don’t need the allergy friendly item.
Correct, but the point is - it’s usually not expected to have to prove a disability, allergy, etc. to get a special accommodation- you simply ask for it. It’s unusual.

imagine having to video call a representative for Jiko before your vacation and explain to them you want a gluten free dinner - and then have that representative decide if you have enough of a gluten intolerance to have the chef offer you gluten free items.

lazyboy97o

As someone with a food allergy, there are absolutely times when a dish cannot be altered to accommodate an allergy. Which dishes can be altered will vary depending on the allergy (and no business in its right mind would ever knowingly serve a reduced portion of shrimp to someone with a shrimp allergy because the risk of a lawsuit is too high) and how the dish is prepared. Add in the various festival food booths, holiday party offerings, etc. and there are plenty of things that will not be available to guests with specific allergies. If you disagree, tell me where I can get a gluten free soft Mickey Pretzel anywhere on WDW property. Or how they can modify a pre-made cake pop to be gluten free. I've been to 1 Halloween Party where there was a gluten free cake pop. Disney is the most accommodating place I've been in terms of food allergies, but they are not capable of making everything safe for every allergy. It isn't possible, not would it be reasonable to expect it. My condition is technically an autoimmune disorder, which means it is a disability under the law. I still don't expect DAS (and never even considered asking for it) and certainly don't expect Disney to make unreasonable accommodations for food. Kitchen space is limited and they do the best they can. The same applies to DAS. Capacity is limited (even if they expand all 4 parks to an incredible degree) and there are limits to what can reasonably be expected of them when accomdating guests with disabilities.
None of that changes you’re ability to make your own decision and purchase those items. This whole tangent is about Disney making decisions for people.

Angel Ariel

Correct, but the point is - it’s usually not expected to have to prove a disability, allergy, etc. to get a special accommodation- you simply ask for it. It’s unusual.

imagine having to video call a representative for Jiko before your vacation and explain to them you want a gluten free dinner - and then have that representative decide if you have enough of a gluten intolerance to have the chef offer you gluten free items.
To be fair, that depends on the accommodation. You do need to have a doctor sign off on accessible parking tags, for ex, and then go through the application process with the DMV, for ex.

For many accommodations for kids in school, families need to go through either the 504 or IEP process. I haven't experienced the 504 process, but local screening to determine eligibility for an IEP is fairly extensive and lengthy.

It shouldn't be completely surprising to families to need to explain the need their child has.

ConfettiCupcake

I bet you’d have to call and explain your need for a gluten free meal if it came at no cost whereas everyone else was paying for the similar service (their meal). That is more comparable DAS is vs Genie+.

It’s blatantly obvious IMO why Disney needs people to state their case with DAS and why it’s different than other accommodations they just give.

Angel Ariel

On the allergy route - we have actually had to coordinate with Disney's special diets team ahead of time in the past. It was a time DD had 4+ different types of foods she needed to avoid, and we had tried one trip without arranging ahead and it went poorly.

Disney has at times changed what types of parties the special diets team will talk with pre trip (vs just advising people to ask for accommodation at the restaurant). The special diets email used to (a long time ago now) be able to be used by anyone, but now they have specific guidelines for who should use the email because demand for food allergy accommodations is so high, so they filter out as much as they can with the allergy menus they offer for everyone, and the ability to connect with the chef at the restaurant. These are now the guidelines for reaching out to the special diets team ahead of time:

1717347826332.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
To be fair, that depends on the accommodation. You do need to have a doctor sign off on accessible parking tags, for ex, and then go through the application process with the DMV, for ex.

For many accommodations for kids in school, families need to go through either the 504 or IEP process. I haven't experienced the 504 process, but local screening to determine eligibility for an IEP is fairly extensive and lengthy.

It shouldn't be completely surprising to families to need to explain the need their child has.

You have to pass a rigerous standardized exam to sign engineering documents.

Does that mean I should expect to pass an exam to sign contract?

Or is it... even tho they are both confirmations of my review of the material, the two processes are regulated differently, and in fact have different requirements?

Schools, and handicap placards are not regulated the same as public places... nor are they even engaged the same. You don't drop into a random school on a Tuesday and expect to get taught.

Chip Chipperson

None of that changes you’re ability to make your own decision and purchase those items. This whole tangent is about Disney making decisions for people.
The issue is accommodation. Disney accommodates to the best of their ability. If the menu doesn't work for me, I don't book a reservation (or i book knowing my prefferred meal cannotbe accomdated and order what is available). The same applies to DAS and the changes in accommodation. They are still accommodating guests with disabilities. They've changed what those are but the guest can still choose to go and use the available accommodations or choose not to book a trip there if they're not satisfied with the accommodation options.

Angel Ariel

You have to pass a rigerous standardized exam to sign engineering documents.

Does that mean I should expect to pass an exam to sign contract?

Or is it... even tho they are both confirmations of my review of the material, the two processes are regulated differently, and in fact have different requirements?

Schools, and handicap placards are not regulated the same as public places... nor are they even engaged the same. You don't drop into a random school on a Tuesday and expect to get taught.
I see your point, but having a child with significant disabilities, I am used to having to explain her needs in a variety of places.

I had to have a pre-field trip visit to a local athletic facility to ensure she could be accommodated. (It wasn't super accessible and there were no accommodations provided by the location)

I had to contact a regional public park where the school was taking the kids earlier this year to ask about accommodations there (which were pretty much nonexistent). She required a wheelchair at that point as she was recovering from knee surgery over the summer and the paths were loose rock, requiring 3 adults to help push it through.

Virtually any place we go - public or private - we have to research it ahead of time to see how accessible it is and what accommodations may be needed. This includes theme parks, public parks, entertainment facilities, etc. Many of the families I know in similar places as us have to do the same. Or they just don't go to those places because they know they aren't accessible or accommodating.

So, yes, many years into supporting DD's needs, it's not a surprise to me to need to explain them to various facilities - public or private.

Basil of Baker Street

I think that parents of autistic children know what their children can and can not handle. That is why they ask for DAS. I think that many, probably even Disney, don't fully comprehend how these medical issues manifest. It is easy for someone to say, "well, if your child can't handle the line anymore, then just leave for a while". But autistic children/adults are not like typical people. Many times they can get too worked up and it can take a long time for them to calm down. Some even have to leave the parks for the day.
So just because the leaving the queue accommodation seems reasonable to you, doesn't mean that it is.
And how in the world can Disney possibly know which autistic person is capable of waiting in line and which are not? We all know that their decision is completely arbitrary. If they are looking for specific phrases, once those phrases get out, then everyone is going to use them to get a DAS.
Letting the parents decide "Hey, my kid needs DAS" is what got us in this mess.

lazyboy97o

The issue is accommodation. Disney accommodates to the best of their ability. If the menu doesn't work for me, I don't book a reservation (or i book knowing my prefferred meal cannotbe accomdated and order what is available). The same applies to DAS and the changes in accommodation. They are still accommodating guests with disabilities. They've changed what those are but the guest can still choose to go and use the available accommodations or choose not to book a trip there if they're not satisfied with the accommodation options.
No, @Club Cooloholic keeps trying to present scenarios where Disney will or should stop someone from forgoing accommodations. It’s an attempt at trying to catch people being hypocritical while ignoring the vast spectrum of scenarios.

nickys

Premium Member
The DIS poll is currently at 60% of those applying (under the new rules) have been granted DAS, 40% denied.

Edit: I just discovered the poll is a pile of 💩 so those figures aren’t the whole story. That said, of people I’ve seen reporting actual experiences, there are more being accepted than denied. Obviously purely anecdotal. But what is true is that it is not just kids and not just those with autism or developmental disabilities who are being granted DAS.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom