New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

The Mom

Premium Member
Again, this is a discussion - not an argument. Please be respectful of other posters, and please stop the personal attacks. You have no way of really knowing what other posters are dealing with day to day, just as you have no way of knowing exactly how this new system will play out, and what sort of tweaks might have to be made in the future.
If posters cannot respond appropriately and civilly to others, they will go into time out.

Disney Glimpses

But how does a company pick and choose who is disabled "enough"?
They aren't. They have decided what types of disabilities they think make sense for DAS going forward. Everyone else is able to request accommodations as needed at each attraction and based on your situation, your party, etc. they will come a some resolution to help that guest.

KrzyKtty

But how does a company pick and choose who is disabled "enough"? This is the crux of the issue with what Disney is doing now. They are arbitrarily saying yes and no to people without really knowing the full scope of someone's medical issue. I truly don't know how this can be solved but denying people accommodations is not the way. Especially since this is a problem created by them by allowing too many people in the parks without having enough things to spread everyone out. As been said many times, this is a capacity issue. They should look at fixing that too.
To point out they aren't denying people accommodations, they are offering alternative accommodations.

Angel Ariel

It is worth noting that developmental disabilities - which have been noted to be what current DAS is still for - are not necessarily mental or neurological conditions. Many are genetic conditions that don't have a mental health or neurological base.

Disney Glimpses

It’s interesting, based on all the information I’ve been gathering, it seems like Disney is limiting DAS specifically to neurological and mental conditions and is arguing that physical issues are present everywhere throughout the park and that a DAS pass doesn’t necessarily solve anything.
Disney is also really leaning into the "if your party has enough people over the age of 13, you can meet them when ready to board," from what I am hearing anyways. Sounds like even if approved for DAS or a single attraction LL accommodation, the bare minimum number of people will be attached to that.

Grantwil93

🤔 any ideas what this could be?
I don't know for sure, they just said a change to wheelchair tags is going live tomorrow to make the system less loose for abuse.

They said they weren't changing the requirements to get them, so I'm assuming it's perhaps a way to make people update them regularly. Cause they are only supposed to be good for the dates written on the tag, but no one checks.

It's a quiet change, so I'm sure people in the parks will be reporting on it tomorrow

jaklgreen

They aren't. They have decided what types of disabilities they think make sense for DAS going forward. Everyone else is able to request accommodations as needed at each attraction and based on your situation, your party, etc. they will come a some resolution to help that guest.
But they are. On their website they said DAS is for those with Autism. But several people have already said that their autistic child have been denied. How do you explain that? How do they decide who is autistic "enough"?

jaklgreen

Found out from a friend in Guest Relations that more changes on the way for curbing abuse of offered accommodations. This time in regards to wheelchair tags for strollers and wagons. More info tomorrow.
Should be interesting if they completely ban wagons. I think that most of us have seen more and more wagons be approved and not actually have a child in them or medical equipment. I wonder if they will ban them altogether.

Disney Glimpses

But they are. On their website they said DAS is for those with Autism. But several people have already said that their autistic child have been denied. How do you explain that? How do they decide who is autistic "enough"?
It’s not about being “autistic enough” or even having autism. That’s serving as a guide for who is typically approved. In reality, they don’t ask or care about specific diagnoses. It’s about the challenges one faces that are distinctly unique to attraction queues. If you have an issue where you will also face it outside the attraction queue, it will likely be denied.

Chip Chipperson

Do you think every autistic person is incapable of waiting in line? I can guarantee you that's not the case. There are plenty of autistic people who function very well in their daily lives and you wouldn't even know they were autistic unless you know them very well.

They are deciding who needs DAS vs. other offered accommodations by asking questions about the person's needs and the issues they feel keep them from being able to wait in line like everyone else.

jaklgreen

Do you think every autistic person is incapable of waiting in line? I can guarantee you that's not the case. There are plenty of autistic people who function very well in their daily lives and you wouldn't even know they were autistic unless you know them very well.

They are deciding who needs DAS vs. other offered accommodations by asking questions about the person's needs and the issues they feel keep them from being able to wait in line like everyone else.
I think that parents of autistic children know what their children can and can not handle. That is why they ask for DAS. I think that many, probably even Disney, don't fully comprehend how these medical issues manifest. It is easy for someone to say, "well, if your child can't handle the line anymore, then just leave for a while". But autistic children/adults are not like typical people. Many times they can get too worked up and it can take a long time for them to calm down. Some even have to leave the parks for the day.
So just because the leaving the queue accommodation seems reasonable to you, doesn't mean that it is.
And how in the world can Disney possibly know which autistic person is capable of waiting in line and which are not? We all know that their decision is completely arbitrary. If they are looking for specific phrases, once those phrases get out, then everyone is going to use them to get a DAS.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think that parents of autistic children know what their children can and can not handle. That is why they ask for DAS. I think that many, probably even Disney, don't fully comprehend how these medical issues manifest. It is easy for someone to say, "well, if your child can't handle the line anymore, then just leave for a while". But autistic children/adults are not like typical people. Many times they can get too worked up and it can take a long time for them to calm down. Some even have to leave the parks for the day.
So just because the leaving the queue accommodation seems reasonable to you, doesn't mean that it is.
And how in the world can Disney possibly know which autistic person is capable of waiting in line and which are not? We all know that their decision is completely arbitrary. If they are looking for specific phrases, once those phrases get out, then everyone is going to use them to get a DAS.
But you have to give them credit for at least trying to continue to provide DAS to those who really need it. Will they sometimes make the wrong decision? Most likely, but the program is being continued and alternate accommodations are being offered to those who don’t get DAS.

I doubt their decisions are arbitrary but they certainly will be difficult ones.

RSoxNo1

Where I think Disney is going to get in trouble here is the anecdotal recommendations of medical advice. Things like suggesting noise canceling ear coverings can be construed as medical advice.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

I don’t think anyone disagrees with this. But Disney CMs ask pretty specific questions and when answered a certain way, may disqualify someone from DAS. They are looking for other solutions and accommodations before offering DAS and if the parent/caretaker suggests or indicates that those may work, DAS will be off the table. At this point, it appears to be a last resort.

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

Saying that Disney has to do whatever the guest says they need without question is not reasonable. That was established when Disney won the lawsuit over the switch from GAC to DAS.

We know people have lied to get DAS. We know people who got DAS legitimately have admitted to using it when it wasn't needed. We know that not every autistic person needs to skip the lines. Disney’s video calls are used to find out what obstacles a person has and respond accordingly. When someone says, "I need to skip the lines," it is not unreasonable for Disney to ask WHY they need that service and determine if that's really the only accomodation that is suitable or if it's just the preferred accomodation despite the alternatives being suitable. Disney has no legal obligation to blindly accept "I need DAS" without justification, nor are they required to have a policy granting DAS to every guest with autism. It is based on needs, not diagnosis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom