New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Grantwil93

I think they are going to be used very sparingly.

It looks like Disney is planning on putting everyone but a very small number of people in the standby line with the AQR as the accommodation. I expect that the attraction CMs have definite criteria for RTQ - not just who looks the worst - and they’re going to be held to it.

From what I’ve been reading, they’re likely prepared for people who insist nothing will work for them except RTQ. If they relent too easily the changes won’t work.

A lot of former DAS users will probably decide to buy Genie+ rather than deal with the inconvenience or insufficiency (whether perceived or real) of the offered accommodation.
pretty much all leaders and managers are saying to call if CM's aren't sure about a situation or there is a disagreement. They are making themselves "extra available" for these discussions if need be. Maybe the party just wants return passes and won't accept another answer and the CM doesn't feel comfortable issuing them, they are being told managers will help.

And at least for my location, that's true. Disney definitely did make it very clear to CM's to not just give out the return passes like candy cause it's easier than talking. They will know how many each CM is issuing

I know that a few rides in MK were already in trouble for giving them out as the "first option" cause it was easier and were retrained on it.

DisneyHead123

A lot of former DAS users will probably decide to buy Genie+ rather than deal with the inconvenience or insufficiency (whether perceived or real) of the offered accommodation.
I keep seeing Genie+ mentioned but I feel like it's a very different service. Genie+ is meant to be a line skip program that gets you about 2-3 busier rides, while DAS is meant to be more of a physical line replacement program for any ride at any time. I think that will leave a lot of demand for RTQ and AQR, but we'll see I guess.

JMcMahonEsq

Do they provide complimentary wheelchairs at beginning of queues (doubt they have room for it unless they cut down on strollers somehow lol)? That to me would really be great. From what I’ve read so far, it sounds like there are a bunch of people for whom that would work - and be better than putting it on the guest to pay for a wheelchair for a day and take it around the park, when they may only need it for some queues…
We were just there and one person in our party had a physical impediement that required her to use a EV. For every ride there were CM's who assisted us in getting her through the line with EV. Now we had Genie Plus and almost always used LL, but the CM's were always there to help to make sure she could load and unload off the line, and would take us around areas when nessisary. For some rides where the EV couldn't be used as easily, there were multiple wheel chairs available and were always quickly provided for us. Like for PotC where there were small elevators to take up to the surface after the ride.

We have been to WDW at least 1 per year for last 8 years, and this was the first year where after an injury a physical disability came into play. It really could not have gone any smoother.

Fido Chuckwagon

I walk some, sit some, and stand some.
Luckily for me yesterday was amazing. I had decided to get Genie+ and to only use that to see if it worked. Never had to use it because from the 1st ride, CMs insisted on giving us DAS accommodations. Don't know if it was my rollator, the fact that my husband and I are older with 2 young grandsons or a combination but in 2 parks yesterday CMs asked if I had DAS, I told them yes but that we were only using Genie+. They said this or the equivalent of, "Oh but DAS will work better for you.". They offered us the choice of immediate LL or return times. I chose return times. It was shocking and amazing and wonderful!
I suspect that most people who have posted that they "are never going back to WDW" based on these changes, like you did earlier in this thread, are not actually going to follow through with that, like you didn't. I'm glad you had a great time. and that the new alternatives to DAS are working so well for you. If everyone just gives Disney a chance here I suspect this transition will be very similar to what happened when GAC turned into DAS.

Trauma

I suspect that most people who have posted that they "are never going back to WDW" based on these changes, like you did earlier in this thread, are not actually going to follow through with that, like you didn't. I'm glad you had a great time. and that the new alternatives to DAS are working so well for you. If everyone just gives Disney a chance here I suspect this transition will be very similar to what happened when GAC turned into DAS.
It sounds like the new alternative to DAS for this poster was DAS accommodations.

So it would make sense that DAS worked as well as DAS.

Disney Glimpses

The reality is that even aside from abuse, a significant number of DAS pass holders were using DAS all the time despite only needing it periodically. IMO, it's perfectly reasonable for Disney to shift this pass to folks who absolutely need it 100% of the time while still offering 2 very accommodating options for everyone else. You can still leave the queue to use a restroom and then return. You can still also request a return time from a CM at each attraction. Being denied DAS isn't the end-all.

Fido Chuckwagon

It sounds like the new alternative to DAS for this poster was DAS accommodations.

So it would make sense that DAS worked as well as DAS.
I mean, RTQ is basically DAS but you have to talk to the line attendants so you can't grab new return times while in line for your other ride or while eating your dinner, which is what it sounds like this poster did...

Fido Chuckwagon

The reality is that even aside from abuse, a significant number of DAS pass holders were using DAS all the time despite only needing it periodically. IMO, it's perfectly reasonable for Disney to shift this pass to folks who absolutely need it 100% of the time while still offering 2 very accommodating options for everyone else. You can still leave the queue to use a restroom and then return. You can still also request a return time from a CM at each attraction. Being denied DAS isn't the end-all.
Yeah, this. I continue to think that, in an era where Disney has made a lot of mistakes recently, the way they are rolling out this system is being done extremely well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right now there is a ton of confusion for guests and CM's
1674845190880.gif

And hoping that 'things will settle' by hoping dissociated individuals will converge... is fantasy too. What that converges to is a pattern of inconsistency instead of a cloud of confusion.

Trauma

View attachment 788158

And hoping that 'things will settle' by hoping dissociated individuals will converge... is fantasy too. What that converges to is a pattern of inconsistency instead of a cloud of confusion.
I find some of the inconsistency’s that can arrive from this system to be alarming.

There is to much left to the discretion of Disney employees.

What if we find a white child is given DAS but an African American child with extremely similar symptoms is denied?

Im not saying that has or will happen. However it is certainly possible under the current system.

The grey area that Disney created leaves people to jump to their own conclusions about why they were denied.

Chi84

Premium Member
View attachment 788158

That's absolutely true. Creating a system that is meant to address individual, changing needs that will be different depending on the nature of the queue is going to be terribly inconsistent. I think they're just going for accommodating each person the best they are able at each attraction. Hopefully it will be tweaked when Disney gets some experience on how both disabled individuals and CMs are dealing with this.

Chip Chipperson

I find some of the inconsistency’s that can arrive from this system to be alarming.

There is to much left to the discretion of Disney employees.

What if we find a white child is given DAS but an African American child with extremely similar symptoms is denied?

Im not saying that has or will happen. However it is certainly possible under the current system.

The grey area that Disney created leaves people to jump to their own conclusions about why they were denied.
Isn't that true regardless of who decides whether or not a guest should receive DAS accommodations? Anyone can believe, "I was denied because of X,Y, or Z."

The odds of 2 groups at the same ride at the same time with the exact same conditions seeking the same accommodation are quite small - and the chances of a CM telling 1 group "Yes" and the next group "No" in that scenario are virtually non-existent, simply because nobody wants to be questioned about why they didn't get the same treatment.

MickeyLuv'r

We're choosing to opt out after next week.
One positive about getting older is the ability to not care what people think about me and also the ability to say, “I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this any more!” and mean it.
The above forum member was approved under the prior DAS rules, and said their Memorial Day weekend trip would likely be their last.

They have been very clear about that.

MickeyLuv'r

huh?

The above poster had DAS.
The above poster was approved for DAS under the old rules.
The above poster said the CM's encouraged them to use their DAS instead of booking G+.

Trauma

Isn't that true regardless of who decides whether or not a guest should receive DAS accommodations? Anyone can believe, "I was denied because of X,Y, or Z."

The odds of 2 groups at the same ride at the same time with the exact same conditions seeking the same accommodation are quite small - and the chances of a CM telling 1 group "Yes" and the next group "No" in that scenario are virtually non-existent, simply because nobody wants to be questioned about why they didn't get the same treatment.
Let me try to give a clearer example.

Old system:

Your child has autism - you get DAS

So autism = DAS

No grey areas.

New system:

Parent of Billy a white 7 year old calls in, and due to his needs arising from autism is approved for DAS.

Parent of Sarah a Black 7 year old calls in, however she is denied DAS for her autistic child.

Sarahs Mom knows Billy’s mom and is aware her son was approved. She also knows her daughters symptoms are more severe than Billy’s so her daughter should have been accommodated.

Now the reasons for Sarah’s denial of DAS might not have anything to due at all with racism. Maybe the Mom didn’t do a good job explaining the symptoms or maybe the cast member taking the call had been screamed at by the last 3 people, and had a bad moment.

But I tell you how this is going to look to Sarah’s Mom. It looks like white kid gets DAS, black kid gets denied.

That will make for an interesting social media post that I’m sure won’t frame Disney in a positive light.

Purduevian

Old system:

So autism = DAS

No grey areas.

New system:

Parent of Billy a white 7 year old calls in, and due to his needs arising from autism is approved for DAS.

Parent of Sarah a Black 7 year old calls in, however she is denied DAS for her autistic child.

Sarah Mom knows Billy’s mom and is aware her son was approved. She also knows her daughters symptoms are more severe than Billy’s so her daughter should have been accommodated.

Now the reasons for Sarah’s denial of DAS might not have anything at all with racism. Maybe the Mom didn’t do a good job explaining the symptoms or maybe the cast member taking the call had been screamed at by the last 3 people, and had a bad moment.

But I tell you how this is going to look to Sarah’s Mom. It looks like white kid gets DAS, black kid gets denied.

That will make for an interesting social media post that I’m sure won’t frame Disney in a positive light.
It will be awful if that happens... but that is a LOT of what ifs.

Disney Glimpses

Old system:

So autism = DAS

No grey areas.

New system:

Sarahs Mom knows Billy’s mom and is aware her son was approved. She also knows her daughters symptoms are more severe than Billy’s so her daughter should have been accommodated.

Now the reasons for Sarah’s denial of DAS might not have anything at all with racism. Maybe the Mom didn’t do a good job explaining the symptoms or maybe the cast member taking the call had been screamed at by the last 3 people, and had a bad moment.

I think you are getting way too hung up on the specific diagnosis. I realize Disney calls out "developmental disabilities" and "autism" specifically; but this is really to serve as a guide for who is typically approved and/or requires the pass. It's not to frame a criteria.

In reality, the CM will ask about the specific challenges that the disabled person faces and will determine if the alternative accommodations will suit their needs. Losing DAS doesn't mean that you won't be accommodated, it just means it was determined that you specifically don't require that specific higher tier accommodation.

And in terms of your specific example, ASD is a spectrum. Many, many (some may argue most) autistic kids can handle normal standby queues just fine. I personally know many who do! For example, only 25% of autistic people have what is considered to be "profound." So your example that shows one kid with ASD being approved and the other not, won't be unusual or atypical. Race has nothing to do with it, though I see the conclusion your example is trying to draw. It's just about needs and what accommodations make sense for each guest.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's absolutely true. Creating a system that is meant to address individual, changing needs that will be different depending on the nature of the queue is going to be terribly inconsistent. I think they're just going for accommodating each person the best they are able at each attraction. Hopefully it will be tweaked when Disney gets some experience on how both disabled individuals and CMs are dealing with this.
Individualized is great... my concern is the inconsistency will be experienced by a single person... which is bad.

If you take a 100 different employees, do not give them a clear method, give them conflicting motivations, and then say GO - you're gonna get dozens of different outcomes.

Imagine if every time you got in line for the same attraction, you never knew what you were going to get day to day. That's stressful and ripe for conflict.... ESPECIALLY when dealing with a situation where you are reducing the offering to someone.

It also opens Disney to huge liabilities when the accommodation assessment will vary from employee to employee.. That's not how Disney tends to roll. This whole system screams of being pushed by people who don't actually own all sides of the problem... it sounds like throwing it over the fence and believing they will just sort it out.

This will end up just being DAS assignment at the greeter position all over again...

Disney Glimpses

Disney honestly should've renamed this service. I can see why many would be off put or confused as to previously qualifying to no longer qualifying. It feels like something is being taken away. In reality, the DAS of today has different durations, criteria and accommodations. And it's now clearly meant for folks who cannot under any circumstance experience the parks without such flexibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom