New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

if you were told return to queue nd not attraction queue rentry, it is a different process.

Return to Queue (RTQ) is similar to what DAS was pre-Covid. You go to the attraction, tell the CM you need a return time, they give you one based off the standby wait and you return later - as is done with DAS. The difference with RTQ is that it has to be done individually at each ride, and you will need to explain your child's needs at each ride.

Attraction Queue Reentey (AQR) is where the party enters standby, and when the disabled guest needs to leave they tell the CM and exit the line, while the majority of their party remains in standby - you then go through LL to meet up at the merge point (either by your party calling you, or the disabled guests is able to return to the line through the LL and wait there for the standby party to meet them).
I really hate that they are making people do that. Who wants to have to explain to a cast member, in full ear shot of everyone around them, at every ride what their medical issues are?

DrummerAlly

My son has level 1 and got denied today. We have used das in the past. We are passholders who are typically in the park for only a.few hours then leave to head back and relax at the resort. It worked for my son who if the wait is too long will vocally stim by singing. We don't want to bother others and will try to distract him by talking about other things, playing games etc but he will inevitably go back to singing. Now I'm the lady in line quieting my kid constantly to not disturb others with 2 younger kids. I was told we should use return to queue. I guarantee we will not be returning to most rides if we leave the line. Also we will now be bringing constant attention to my son who is sensitive about autism in the first place. I'm pretty disgusted with the whole situation. We will go early and leave around lunch. Probably be done for the day. Maybe next year we do universal instead and just stay in the premier hotels for unlimited express. Vacation shouldn't be stressful but Disney seems to be making it that way.
I’m really sorry. Sounds similar to my level 1 daughter. She is okay with short waits but if anything goes “wrong” (in her eyes, like for example the line stops moving briefly), she begins panicking and asking a million questions very loudly and definitely annoys the guests around us. RTQ will be far more stressful on her and cause more problems.

I’m preparing for a denial - sounds like most kids with level 1 aren’t getting it anymore.

I’m going to do exactly what Disney wants me to, which is put on a good face, adjust my touring plans, and buy genie+, but this will be our last trip for a little while. We love universal just as much and the express passes will work much better for my daughter.

Fido Chuckwagon

It sounds like on Memorial Day Touringplans predicted a crowd level 5 for MK and in actuality it came in as a crowd level 1. (The crowd levels are based on wait times, not actual people in the parks). Still early days, but that is an interesting data point.

Club Cooloholic

This sounds similar to universal which also worked well. He and we are all able bodied and coming and going is not the issue. I am relieved if this is how it works. At universal they issue a card which is presented and a time written down. Explaining at every attraction nis not needed.
I do want to say this, while I can never say there won't be jerks in lines, I think it is getting better, and the younger generations are growing up with autistic kids of all levels right in their classrooms. It was amazing how considerate and protective kids were of some of these special needs kids whenever I was at my kids schools. I have seen it translate in my kids, never batting an eye when seeing kids exhibiting the behavior like your son does with his singing. All I am saying is, I totally get what you are saying about being frustrated, but the world is learning to better understand these kids,.

Last edited:

Jumping Fountains

Just from a philosophical standpoint I was kind of curious about this aspect as it seems a person’s ability to sign away their legal rights should be extremely limited. Otherwise, why wouldn’t everyone selling anything have you initial an “I promise not to sue” clause?

Liability waivers for risky activities seem to be common, although I’m not sure if they hold up in court. Other than that, I can’t think of a good example of people being allowed to sign away the right to use the legal system.
You should see the arbitration clauses in, say, nursing homes. It’s maddening.

Jumping Fountains

Having spent the last hour reading people on Twitter I, on one hand, feel guilty that some people who are legitimately in need of DAS are being turned down. On the other, there are a whole lot of people, based on their statement of needs, have convinced themselves they need it when other accommodations (complimentary wheelchair access for queues, exit points to visit the restroom, etc) would work absolutely fine. This is to say nothing of the many people who lie about having an illness to get it.
Do they provide complimentary wheelchairs at beginning of queues (doubt they have room for it unless they cut down on strollers somehow lol)? That to me would really be great. From what I’ve read so far, it sounds like there are a bunch of people for whom that would work - and be better than putting it on the guest to pay for a wheelchair for a day and take it around the park, when they may only need it for some queues…

Purduevian

Do they provide complimentary wheelchairs at beginning of queues (doubt they have room for it unless they cut down on strollers somehow lol)? That to me would really be great. From what I’ve read so far, it sounds like there are a bunch of people for whom that would work - and be better than putting it on the guest to pay for a wheelchair for a day and take it around the park, when they may only need it for some queues…
I can't state for every attraction, but there were free wheelchairs to use while in line at ROTR back in 2021 (my FIL hurt his knee and couldn't stand or walk for long periods of time). He of course refused to use a wheelchair so he went to baseline while we all waited in line.

ditzee

So what do u do in the meantime while you wait if both standing and sitting cause you pain?
I walk some, sit some, and stand some.
Luckily for me yesterday was amazing. I had decided to get Genie+ and to only use that to see if it worked. Never had to use it because from the 1st ride, CMs insisted on giving us DAS accommodations. Don't know if it was my rollator, the fact that my husband and I are older with 2 young grandsons or a combination but in 2 parks yesterday CMs asked if I had DAS, I told them yes but that we were only using Genie+. They said this or the equivalent of, "Oh but DAS will work better for you.". They offered us the choice of immediate LL or return times. I chose return times. It was shocking and amazing and wonderful!

RamblinWreck

Over on disboards there is a poll of existing DAS users who have applied for the new DAS and whether they got it. Over half of those applying are still getting the new DAS.
The thread is also full of people saying they registered before May 20th so I’m not sure how scientific it is since nobody actually reads what they’re responding to.

natatomic

I’m really sorry. Sounds similar to my level 1 daughter. She is okay with short waits but if anything goes “wrong” (in her eyes, like for example the line stops moving briefly), she begins panicking and asking a million questions very loudly and definitely annoys the guests around us. RTQ will be far more stressful on her and cause more problems.

I’m preparing for a denial - sounds like most kids with level 1 aren’t getting it anymore.

I’m going to do exactly what Disney wants me to, which is put on a good face, adjust my touring plans, and buy genie+, but this will be our last trip for a little while. We love universal just as much and the express passes will work much better for my daughter.
What about universal’s assistance service? Does your daughter qualify for that one?

Grantwil93

I emailed specifically for a general idea of where the first CM is in line for GotG & Remy because the walk-throughs I found didn't show any until boarding. The response was they couldn't tell be about exit/reenter. Seems even trying to at least know where to find a CM is secret right now.
My best advice is to talk to the ones at the entrance of the ride itself. Thats what Disney "wants" to happen. Definitely a lot of growing pains in that regard at the moment. For both guests and CM's alike. I've been frustrated by how unprepared I feel CM's are in general on this when it really shouldn't be hard to implement. I'm hoping after a month or so everyone gets on the same page. As for guests, from what I can tell the information you get from your interview on alternative accommodations is confusing and not as reliable as asking Guest Relations in the park or especially the CM'S at the ride you are trying to access. Guests are confused and I understand why. I can promise myself and many others are trying to do the best we can with this.

All rides got the same list and strategies for alternate accommodations. 1 size fits all with the understanding that each ride would end up modifying the procedure or leaning into one more heavily. So it'll become even more important to have those conversations at each ride you are trying to access. And don't be afraid to ask for a manager if you feel you aren't getting correct information, that's literally part of their job. Just be nice and polite and hopefully after a month or so this will be more smoothed out

Chi84

Premium Member
Honestly that is way higher than I expected. I thought it would be like 20% or less based on what I've read here and elsewhere.
There are currently 46 total votes in that poll. And these boards are usually composed of the fans who visit frequently and are experienced in Disney systems and how they work.

Trauma

There are currently 46 total votes in that poll. And these boards are usually composed of the fans who visit frequently and are experienced in Disney systems and how they work.
So they are experienced with how Disney works. What does that have to do with the approval rate?

Are you suggesting that they are “saying the right things” to still get approved for DAS?

Grantwil93

Maybe this isn’t their intention but it seems like RTQ and AQR aren’t really intended for guests to understand on the same level as the others (and DAS only for a small group).

They seem more like internal processes where the guest is told what to do at each attraction when they need to leave or can’t queue at all. I’m under the impression guests don’t need to pick and choose what method works or learn how to use it, they express their need when they have one and are told what can be done.
Exactly. That's what Disney wants to happen. Not sure if this will work or if it will be smooth. But you articulated want Disney wants alternate accommodations to be, far better than I've been able too

They want people asking each ride. They don't want uniform systems of understanding. The accommodations are meant to make the process of waiting easier or to accommodate emergencies (bathroom or otherwise). The key word being "easier" not necessarily "shorter" than regular standby

They don't want any reason for these things to be abused. Because they aren't shorter waits, they are ways to make the waiting easier and require you to have a conversation and actually go to the ride you want.

I'm curious how much it will smooth out, if at all. Right now there is a ton of confusion for guests and CM's

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
So they are experienced with how Disney works. What does that have to do with the approval rate?

Are you suggesting that they are “saying the right things” to still get approved for DAS?
No I’m saying the poll is worthless because there aren’t enough people and it’s not a representative sample. All it means is 19 people (currently) who previously got DAS got it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom