New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

maemae74

Entitlement? Really?

Tell me you’ve led a privileged life with relatively few health complications without telling me you’ve led that life.
Again, DAS should be for individuals with profound disabilities and terminal illnesses. The RTQ is a very good option for those who don't and have your run of the mill health issues I listed that you took offense to.

Joel

In related news...

“There is massive, rampant abuse of special services. There are people using wheelchair assistance who don’t need it at all,” Biffle said at a Wings Club luncheon on Thursday in New York.

He said he has seen some Frontier flights where 20 people were brought in wheelchairs at departure, with only three using them upon arrival.

Frontier must just want to sell more Genie+.

SamusAranX

Again, DAS should be for individuals with profound disabilities and terminal illnesses. The RTQ is a very good option for those who don't and have your run of the mill health issues I listed that you took offense to.
I don’t necessarily disagree that RTQ well help certain ones, but for people who needed it, DAS wasn’t an entitlement. I guarantee many would rather physically wait in lines if it meant not having to deal with the health issues they have

SamusAranX

In related news...

Frontier must just want to sell more Genie+.
Frontier wants to sell more of everything. They legitimately rip people off, go watch the videos of people who’s bags clearly fit and the employees are still charging them gate check fees.

That said, it doesn’t justify using a wheelchair if you have no disability.

KrzyKtty

Frontier wants to sell more of everything. They legitimately rip people off, go watch the videos of people who’s bags clearly fit and the employees are still charging them gate check fees.

That said, it doesn’t justify using a wheelchair if you have no disability.
Who is to judge who does and does not need one?

My MIL is 80+ and never uses one. You can bet my husband finally convinced her to use one at ATL when they had ten minutes to go to a completly other terminal to catch a flight.

SamusAranX

Who is to judge who does and does not need one?

My MIL is 80+ and never uses one. You can bet my husband finally convinced her to use one at ATL when they had ten minutes to go to a completly other terminal to catch a flight.
Unfortunately you can’t ever really know, so that’s on the individual’s conscience if they deliberately falsify a need for the wheelchair to get a preferred seat.

TrainsOfDisney

Unfortunately you can’t ever really know, so that’s on the individual’s conscience if they deliberately falsify a need for the wheelchair to get a preferred seat.
Oh is frontier open seating? Was trying to figure out what the benefit was.

If I don’t have a carry or know my bag will be gate checked anyways I try to board last - the less time on the plane the better haha.

SamusAranX

Oh is frontier open seating? Was trying to figure out what the benefit was.

If I don’t have a carry or know my bag will be gate checked anyways I try to board last - the less time on the plane the better haha.
They charge ahead for seat selection I believe, which in a vacuum isn’t unheard of, but they charge fees for EVERYTHING. I’ve only flown with them a couple times. It was enough for me lol

natatomic

Agreed. And. Neither is any discussion of trading disabilities.
Not to derail this thread further, but one of my favorite quotes I ever heard is something along the lines of, “If everyone put their own set problems into a pile with everyone else’s and then got to choose a new set of problems to have, everyone would end up choosing their original problems.” I can’t remember it word for word, but you get the idea.

Angel Ariel

Make a wish is for terminal illnesses, and is a *true* skip the line accommodation, as it should be. The family in that video may want to think about applying through make a wish instead.

Basil of Baker Street

We've gone over this. There is no excuse for using DAS if you don't need it. You can tell yourself otherwise, but when another poster says they used it when they didn't need too simply because the app isn't programmed to stop them then that's not helping anyone's case when they are upset about the changes to DAS.

You keep harping on "show me where Disney says don't do this" because you know there is a difference between what is technically allowed and what the system is intended to do. It was never intended for "I don't feel like standing in line even though I'm capable of doing so." Jon Bon Jovi has some restaurants near me that have no menu prices. The idea behind the restaurant is that the needy can come in and get a meal while only paying what they can afford - and if they can't afford to pay at all then they pay nothing without any questions asked. Those who can pay for their meals do so knowing that the restaurant uses that money to cover the cost of the free meals. I fortunately don't need to get a free meal, so if I eat there I'm not going to say, "Well there's nothing saying I HAVE to pay, so I'm not going to." That would be abusing the spirit of the policy even though it doesn't violate the actual policy itself.
It's sad that this has to be explained.

Jessica_25

I am a frequent reader and first time poster on this forum, and I had a few questions that I wanted to ask/ comments that I wanted to make.

I have used DAS in the past at WDW and its counterpart in Disney Land Paris. I have a well documented neurological disability that makes standing in queues impossible for me since I cannot stand for long periods of time, nor can I tolerate heat as it will cause me attacks. Given that I have been hospitalized before, and I can easily be hospitalized again, I use accommodations in my daily life to prevent exacerbations. This new system is scaring me that I might not be able to return to WDW again. I could never wait in a standard queue as it would be far too long and too much walking for me to handle. As it is, I struggle tremendously just walking in the parks. DAS was a savior as it enabled me to sit in a cool, shaded area while I awaited my time and then returned. The fact that they are now limiting this service, presumably, only to those guests with cognitive disabilities does not exactly seem fair. What about those of us who limit their use of mobility devices? I am honestly not supposed to rely on wheelchairs or mobility aids as it leads to setbacks in my ambulatory progress, so telling me that that is the only solution I can pursue seems unreasonable.

So now that I have explained my own personal feeling about DAS and what it means to me, my questions are as follows: would a person such as myself qualify for DAS under the new rules? And if not, what accommodations could they possibly provide?

The fact that you cannot even speak with a representative to get a determination of the approved accommodations before purchasing a ticket is unreasonable. I do not think I could feasibly return if the accommodations were completely removed. I would honestly rather WDW just ask me for all my proof of Disability like Paris did. I have the America the Beautiful Pass and a letter from my doctor. They did not even need the latter. They simply processed my pass and approved my accommodation. Why can’t they implement something like that here? I guarantee there will be less people seeking DAS since getting approved for the America the Beautiful Pass requires actual documentation.

Vegas Disney Fan

It's sad that this has to be explained.
This has been answered by several people already, the system was being used as designed and as Disney instructed people to use it, that was the point of the post, Disney could have made changes to the program to limit it to specific use for individual needs and salvaged it, instead they chose to simply scrap the whole thing.

You’re blaming people for using the program as they were instructed to use it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom