New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

SamusAranX

Genie+ is a product sold to everyone. If you don’t get your preferred accommodation, it’s available for purchase by disabled guests.

I doubt any CM is agreeing that the offered accommodation is insufficient and then suggesting Genie+.
Like I said, I’m not necessarily taking a firm stand it’s legally wrong, but I feel as if it’s murky area Disney would want [it’s cast members] to avoid

J Pye

There’s an awful lot of ableism in this thread I feel. Disney should really be trying to do what it can to reasonably accommodate so that someone with disability’s day is as enjoyable as those who have no disabilities. Telling a child who has bladder issues and is on a transplant list that they will have to somehow turn their wheelchair around (the lines do accommodate wheelchairs/ECVs but I’m not convinced how easily they’ll accommodate them turning around) and then exit the line and then request a return time does not feel like a fair and equitable way to spend the day. Nor does it seem enjoyable. Disney has a duty to make sure that the system isn’t abused, yes, but they also have to make sure that those who have legitimate disabilities aren’t having their days ruined through the supposed “sufficient accommodations”.

KrzyKtty

I think there is a lot of unnecessary doom and gloom for a bunch of situations most people have not even been able to try out in person yet.

I completely understand the frustration of losing something that you were used to and the anxiety that goes along with that. But I have seen video after video on tic tok about people saying they are not going back because it Will never work for them. But they haven't actually even tried the new accommodations yet. It's all or nothing.

ConfettiCupcake

There’s an awful lot of ableism in this thread I feel. Disney should really be trying to do what it can to reasonably accommodate so that someone with disability’s day is as enjoyable as those who have no disabilities. Telling a child who has bladder issues and is on a transplant list that they will have to somehow turn their wheelchair around (the lines do accommodate wheelchairs/ECVs but I’m not convinced how easily they’ll accommodate them turning around) and then exit the line and then request a return time does not feel like a fair and equitable way to spend the day. Nor does it seem enjoyable. Disney has a duty to make sure that the system isn’t abused, yes, but they also have to make sure that those who have legitimate disabilities aren’t having their days ruined through the supposed “sufficient accommodations”.

You touched on where a lot of the divisiveness comes from. The accommodations aren’t designed to make one persons day as enjoyable as anyone else’s is, as noble as that may be. The accommodations are for access to each individual attraction. That’s it.

It can be debated whether or not these new accommodations are providing access adequately enough for people (it’s hard to know for sure until more people actually use it), but the intent has never been to compensate someone for issues that may impact their overall day.

KrzyKtty

The situation specifically about the bathroom is equitable because when my daughter had to use the bathroom on splash mountain two years ago, we were guided out of the line so that she could go and then guided back into it when she was done. There wasn't even a return to Q time. So in that case, bathroom related issues are being treated equitably.

The bigger issue with your example would be if somebody on the transplant list should really be stuck in a line with everybody else and their germs. The situation there would be different and should be presented as such to DAS. " My child specifically cannot wait in line surrounded by a bunch of people because they are on immuno suppressants, and being an a line with all of those people and their germs would be life threatening to my child". I have heard horror stories of situations like this not being approved on tiktok but i'm not really sure how much I believe them. That place can be a cess pool.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Getting a wheelchair out of a queue sounds like a nightmare, my guess is that’s going to be the first change, I don’t think we can compare our experiences (walking out of a line) to those in a wheelchair or a mobility device.

One thing I’ve learned reading this thread is my GFs medical situation (that got us DAS) is minor and very manageable compared to what others are dealing with, we’ll be able to survive without DAS, we’ll have to skip some things and plan more, but it’ll be a minor inconvenience compared to how it’s going to affect others.

Touchdown

The situation specifically about the bathroom is equitable because when my daughter had to use the bathroom on splash mountain two years ago, we were guided out of the line so that she could go and then guided back into it when she was done. There wasn't even a return to Q time. So in that case, bathroom related issues are being treated equitably.

The bigger issue with your example would be if somebody on the transplant list should really be stuck in a line with everybody else and their germs. The situation there would be different and should be presented as such to DAS. " My child specifically cannot wait in line surrounded by a bunch of people because they are on immuno suppressants, and being an a line with all of those people and their germs would be life threatening to my child". I have heard horror stories of situations like this not being approved on tiktok but i'm not really sure how much I believe them. That place can be a cess pool.
As much as I sympathize if you are worried about catching an infection you should be avoiding large public spaces with lots of people and there is no way to experience WDW and not enter a large public space full of people, it’s as dangerous to go on a ride, eat in a restaurant or watch a parade as it is to be in a queue. It’s not like the queue is inherently more dangerous then any other indoor space.

KrzyKtty

As much as I sympathize if you are worried about catching an infection you should be avoiding large public spaces with lots of people and there is no way to experience WDW and not enter a large public space full of people, it’s as dangerous to go on a ride, eat in a restaurant or watch a parade as it is to be in a queue. It’s not like the queue is inherently more dangerous then any other indoor space.
It's not that I don't agree with you, It's more I was speaking to that specific example given, Which ironically also tied into a tictok I saw.

But I will also not judge another parent whose child might be on the transplant list and just wants to make happy memories. 🤷‍♀️

KrzyKtty

Honest questions were mobility only based users included in DAS? Just off of the net, I thought they already generally we're just told to wait in the line?

TrainsOfDisney

if you are worried about catching an infection you should be avoiding large public spaces with lots of people and there is no way to experience WDW and not enter a large public space full of people
It doesn’t apply directly to the topic of waiting in lines and riding attractions but there are ways to experience WDW and not be exposed to large crowds especially crowded indoor environments.

Lots of outdoor food options, and lots to see and experience outdoors .

Touchdown

It doesn’t apply directly to the topic of waiting in lines and riding attractions but there are ways to experience WDW and not be exposed to large crowds especially crowded indoor environments.

Lots of outdoor food options, and lots to see and experience outdoors .
But those outdoor spaces are full of tightly packed people, which is still a risk. I’m not saying they can’t go to WDW, just that if they can go to WDW they can also wait in a queue (solely based on infection risk, not counting any other factor.)

Fido Chuckwagon

Entitlement? Really?

Tell me you’ve led a privileged life with relatively few health complications without telling me you’ve led that life.
You really want to talk about “privilege” in a thread where people are complaining about the quality of their line-skip accommodation in the most expensive theme park in the world? A place that 90+ percent of the global population could never afford to step foot in?

I bet a lot of people would trade having heat insensitivity and IBS for the financial security and quality of life that comes with that kind of wealth that people in this thread have.

J Pye

You touched on where a lot of the divisiveness comes from. The accommodations aren’t designed to make one persons day as enjoyable as anyone else’s is, as noble as that may be. The accommodations are for access to each individual attraction. That’s it.

It can be debated whether or not these new accommodations are providing access adequately enough for people (it’s hard to know for sure until more people actually use it), but the intent has never been to compensate someone for issues that may impact their overall day.
I do agree that the accommodations are for attractions access. However, the difficulty Disney opens themselves up to are if those accommodations don’t make the experience for those with disabilities equitable to those without disabilities. I’m not entirely convinced right now that all of the new accommodations for attraction access will mean that those with disabilities will be able to access attractions in an equitable manner to those without disabilities (especially return to queue).

TrainsOfDisney

But those outdoor spaces are full of tightly packed people, which is still a risk. I’m not saying they can’t go to WDW, just that if they can go to WDW they can also wait in a queue (solely based on infection risk, not counting any other factor.)
Not at all - my mom is very nervous about crowds and there are plenty of places she can enjoy at Disney. Lots of open space at Epcot. She also plans ahead and goes to see the voices of Liberty at the first shows when it’s less crowded.

The idea that Disney is wall to wall people is just not true… I mean it’s true for new years haha. B

Touchdown

Not at all - my mom is very nervous about crowds and there are plenty of places she can enjoy at Disney. Lots of open space at Epcot. She also plans ahead and goes to see the voices of Liberty at the first shows when it’s less crowded.

The idea that Disney is wall to wall people is just not true… I mean it’s true for new years haha. B
When it comes to infection risk it’s about density, and it doesn’t need many people. This isn’t about anxiety which is very different.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom