New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
I do agree that the accommodations are for attractions access. However, the difficulty Disney opens themselves up to are if those accommodations don’t make the experience for those with disabilities equitable to those without disabilities. I’m not entirely convinced right now that all of the new accommodations for attraction access will mean that those with disabilities will be able to access attractions in an equitable manner to those without disabilities (especially return to queue).
I think Disney is trying for as equitable as possible; equitable probably isn't obtainable given the nature of the business they're running.

SamusAranX

You really want to talk about “privilege” in a thread where people are complaining about the quality of their line-skip accommodation in the most expensive theme park in the world? A place that 90+ percent of the global population could never afford to step foot in?

I bet a lot of people would trade having heat insensitivity and IBS for the financial security and quality of life that comes with that kind of wealth that people in this thread have.
Really? You think people would trade having severe health problems for money? Coming from someone who struggles with a severe illness, there’s no amount of money you can offer me to “have” this so I can go to Disney, or have a comfortable financial lifestyle. I would trade everything I have NOT to have this and the pain it’s caused my life but you know, I guess youre right: all I want is wealth enough to go to Disney. My health be damned.

For many people, these changes are difficult as they save and scrimp to have a vacation, with one that’s been accommodating up to this point. Most people with disabilities are NOT entitled. They’re struggling to adapt as Disney makes these changes, and if there are insensitivities within delivery of the rejection, of course I empathize with that. They’re not entitled, they’re come to rely on the DaS system and now the changes for a place that they enjoy will no doubt be uncharted waters. theres bad apples in every bunch, and the abusers who are throwing a tantrum I’m sure, but you seem to enjoy cutting from whole cloth. you saying people would trade physical impairment for money tells me all I need to know about your entitled views

pigglewiggle

Really? You think people would trade having severe health problems for money? Coming from someone who struggles with a severe illness, there’s no amount of money you can offer me to “have” this so I can go to Disney, or have a comfortable financial lifestyle. I would trade everything I have NOT to have this and the pain it’s caused my life but you know, I guess youre right: all I want is wealth enough to go to Disney. My health be damned.

For many people, these changes are difficult as they save and scrimp to have a vacation, with one that’s been accommodating up to this point. Most people with disabilities are NOT entitled. They’re struggling to adapt as Disney makes these changes, and if there are insensitivities within delivery of the rejection, of course I empathize with that. They’re not entitled, they’re come to rely on the DaS system and now the changes for a place that they enjoy will no doubt be uncharted waters. theres bad apples in every bunch, and the abusers who are throwing a tantrum I’m sure, but you seem to enjoy cutting from whole cloth. you saying people would trade physical impairment for money tells me all I need to know about your entitled views

If you can scrimp and save to go to WDW at all, you have some amount of privilege. Majority of population can't go to Disney.

Many families with children with chronic or terminal illness will never be able to afford a Disney vacation, maybe any vacation.

So maybe cool it with the entitled talk.

SamusAranX

If you can scrimp and save to go to WDW at all, you have some amount of privilege.

Many families with children with chronic or terminal illness will never be able to afford a Disney vacation, maybe any vacation.

So maybe cool it with the entitled talk.
I have to strongly disagree.

Scrimping and saving to take a vacation directly implies you are not economically privileged. Privilege means you can easily afford a trip, drop what you’re doing (aka not bat an eye missing work due to wealth or PTO), casually book whenever, etc

I won’t get into details, but my life is not one of privilege. I grew up poor and worked very hard to finally get to a point to afford a nice thing in life (my pixie pass last year, on a payment plan).

It’s the painting everyone with the same brush that irks me. Yes, some families with disabilities do also happen to have generational or current wealth, nice jobs (a prerequisite almost to getting high quality insurance now)but that doesn’t make them entitled when they are not sure how their Disney vacation will be affected in a negative way by using the new accommodations Disney is implementing

pigglewiggle

I have to strongly disagree.

Scrimping and saving to take a vacation directly implies you are not economically privileged. Privilege means you can easily afford a trip, drop what you’re doing (aka not bat an eye missing work due to wealth or PTO), casually book whenever, etc

I won’t get into details, but my life is not one of privilege. I grew up poor and worked very hard to finally get to a point to afford a nice thing in life (my pixie pass last year, on a payment plan).

It’s the painting everyone with the same brush that irks me. Yes, some families with disabilities do also happen to have generational or current wealth, nice jobs (a prerequisite almost to getting high quality insurance now)but that doesn’t make them entitled when they are not sure how their Disney vacation will be affected in a negative way by using the new accommodations Disney is implementing

Sorry, but you can go by means of being able to save. That's privilege. Many can't save, can barely pay rent or put food on the table, let alone save for a trip.

It's nothing to be ashamed of, just admit you are one of the lucky ones that can go because of hard work and saving. We are too. A lot of other people work hard but still can't afford it.

Heck, I don't even think we are using privilege correctly.

SamusAranX

Sorry, but you can go by means of being able to save. That's privilege. Many can't save, can barely pay rent.

It's nothing to be ashamed of, just admit you are one of the lucky ones that can go. We are too.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree but I appreciate you being respectful in your arguments.

Privilege often has a negative connotation. and at some point it’s hard to call someone privileged when they say, get to eat two meals of ramen and PBandJ a day, when someone doesn’t even get one meal a day. are they technically “privleged” maybe? I guess? But in most contexts that’s the word I wouldn’t advise using them describe that person.

That said, I still love PBandJ to this day. I’ll be eating that even if I made six figures

DisneyHead123

I’m sympathetic to the idea that we should be very mindful of global income inequality. That’s a long discussion for another time.

The specific topic being discussed here, however, is if disabled people are “entitled” for requesting accommodations. To say “people are dying of hunger in some countries” makes little sense as a response there. If your waiter spit in your soup and you complained to the manager and the health department, they should address your concerns - not tell you to check your privilege because some people don’t have access to clean water for soup and many die of water borne diseases every day.

pigglewiggle

Somehow this is all turning into a Tik Tok cause of the moment and a (silent) majority of people will lose interest and/or sympathy. At this point I will quote Logan Roy "you're just not serious people".

I hope people who truly need DAS can get it. I hope Disney makes adjustments where it's needed. I hope others are able to find that the other offered accomodations fits their needs after all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like I said, I’m not necessarily taking a firm stand it’s legally wrong, but I feel as if it’s murky area Disney would want [it’s cast members] to avoid

Reminding customers what other services and options they have for a visit is not going to run afoul of anything. Just like disney publishing an accessible guide isn’t. The person isn’t being directed to this as their accommodation - just being made aware of the various services and policies the park has which the guest may use to improve their visit and maybe help their needs.

SamusAranX

Reminding customers what other services and options they have for a visit is not going to run afoul of anything. Just like disney publishing an accessible guide isn’t. The person isn’t being directed to this as their accommodation - just being made aware of the various services and policies the park has which the guest may use to improve their visit and maybe help their needs.
Hopefully. I’m not a lawyer. If I were a cast member I would just feel careful about how I explained it.

maemae74

Entitlement? Really?

Tell me you’ve led a privileged life with relatively few health complications without telling me you’ve led that life.
Again, DAS should be for individuals with profound disabilities and terminal illnesses. The RTQ is a very good option for those who don't and have your run of the mill health issues I listed that you took offense to.

Joel

In related news...

“There is massive, rampant abuse of special services. There are people using wheelchair assistance who don’t need it at all,” Biffle said at a Wings Club luncheon on Thursday in New York.

He said he has seen some Frontier flights where 20 people were brought in wheelchairs at departure, with only three using them upon arrival.

Frontier must just want to sell more Genie+.

SamusAranX

Again, DAS should be for individuals with profound disabilities and terminal illnesses. The RTQ is a very good option for those who don't and have your run of the mill health issues I listed that you took offense to.
I don’t necessarily disagree that RTQ well help certain ones, but for people who needed it, DAS wasn’t an entitlement. I guarantee many would rather physically wait in lines if it meant not having to deal with the health issues they have

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom