New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

RSoxNo1

I'm curious if Steve / or a mod would be willing to revitalize (or at least bump and lock) the thread on the last DAS reset. I imagine many of the same talking points were there as well.

I'm viewing this as a reset. Disney has these systems that gradually see an increase in usage and abuse. Every few years they reset the system and it cuts back the usage. I can recall multiple cycles of this including this post from Meg Crofton where she flat out called out the abuse.

That was in 2013. Then in 2021, they announced the virtual meeting and advanced DAS selections. I 100% believe that second part further contributed to the issues here.

TrainsOfDisney

Not necessarily. Some people can tolerate short waits - 10-20 minutes. But longer waits cause a major issue.
Yes - and it also depends on where the longer wait is. Slinky dog is a long wait but in a large open space that never feels claustrophobic since there is always open air spaces visible. That’s very different from a similar wait time in space mountain in dark corridors with no visible way out for example.

And for some the opposite could work - slinky dog being all outside might not be possible because of heat - vs. space mountain that is entirely climate controlled.

MotherofaPrincessLover

The sad part is I am starting to wonder if that high support needs young boy with violent meltdowns is even going to qualify. The parents just need to practice more with him🙄
This is what I'm afraid of. I don't think other people in line are going to find Disney very magical if my son is overstimulated and starts dropping F bombs and hitting and kicking.

Purduevian

This is the threshold conversation. A person may be able to wait 15-20 mins, but not be able to wait 60+. Going on something like tea cups with a 5-10 min wait while waiting for a 60+ min wait on SDMT doesn't mean they're lying or abusing anything.

Not necessarily. Some people can tolerate short waits - 10-20 minutes. But longer waits cause a major issue.

(abuse= got DAS but are fully capable of waiting in hour plus lines).
Glad us 3 are all in violent agreement (this is the comment that started the whole debate). Trains of Disney said this is not abuse.

Splash4eva

I thought the entire point of DAS was to provide a return time for those that can not wait in a line... If they then go wait in an hour long line without any issue isn't that abuse?

To compare it to your analogy, its like watching someone park in a handicap spot for one store, then go to another store immediately after and park in a decently far spot and walk in and out just fine. I'll concede that it doesn't 100% mean abuse, but it is certainly suspicious and worth looking into.

I think there are people that abuse the system to get DAS, but don't get G+. They get a 120min return time for 7D, then go hop in a 65min space mountain line. Again, I don't think this is automatically abuse but should probably be investigated by Disney (maybe it's an outdoor vs indoor issue for example).
Again imo anyone who is lying to get DAS is doing so to avoid any lines. Not trying to get 7D then wait elsewhere…

Happyday

This is what I'm afraid of. I don't think other people in line are going to find Disney very magical if my son is overstimulated and starts dropping F bombs and hitting and kicking.
You forgot biting, throwing things, pinching and scratching😝all of these are possible reactions from an overstimulated individual with Developmental delays or anyone with a diagnosis that affects the brain.

KDM31091

I sympathize with those who have a legitimate need for DAS but the reality is that Disney hosts many thousands of people every day. If they accommodate every single disability of any kind, all of a sudden the standby lines are at a crawl or dead stop, which isn't fair to those who have also paid for admission and expect to reasonably be able to access at least a few attractions throughout their day.

I think the missing link in most people's heads is the scale. It's just not sustainable to have even 10% of people requesting/getting DAS. That is thousands of people even on a slow day. That's not insignificant. It has an impact on operations and standby lines.

Disney's verbiage is IMO correct that this should be limited to a small minority of guests. Over time the rules have been bent further and further and eventually a monster was created, and now Disney is trying to undo that. Does it screw some amount of people who legitimately need/benefit from the service? Sure. But there's also a lot of entitlement with this issue and I think people just don't realize that DAS is not a legal requirement or right, just something Disney chooses to do as a courtesy. ADA access and DAS are not the same thing and a lot of people seem to think they are.

ConfettiCupcake

The variety of needs here (long waits are okay in some lines not in others) will definitely be seen by Disney as confirmation that in-line accommodations that fit the exact need at the moment are more appropriate than DAS.

Agreed. And in addition to this, the insistence that lines over X amount of time are unsuitable and will lead to a variety of negative things only supports their attempts to better control the length of the LL in order to keep the waits low and consistent.

It keeps getting lost the LL themselves can creep up beyond the 15-20 minute ceiling some people have described. Certain attractions are notorious for it.

Chi84

Premium Member
I sympathize with those who have a legitimate need for DAS but the reality is that Disney hosts many thousands of people every day. If they accommodate every single disability of any kind, all of a sudden the standby lines are at a crawl or dead stop, which isn't fair to those who have also paid for admission and expect to reasonably be able to access at least a few attractions throughout their day.

I think the missing link in most people's heads is the scale. It's just not sustainable to have even 10% of people requesting/getting DAS. That is thousands of people even on a slow day. That's not insignificant. It has an impact on operations and standby lines.

Disney's verbiage is IMO correct that this should be limited to a small minority of guests. Over time the rules have been bent further and further and eventually a monster was created, and now Disney is trying to undo that. Does it screw some amount of people who legitimately need/benefit from the service? Sure. But there's also a lot of entitlement with this issue and I think people just don't realize that DAS is not a legal requirement or right, just something Disney chooses to do as a courtesy. ADA access and DAS are not the same thing and a lot of people seem to think they are.
I wouldn't call it entitlement; more like honest confusion as to what is required in the way of accommodation.

ditzee

K, I called the ADAA because I figured that agency could give me answers. We are not experts and can debate for a quadrillion yrs but our thoughts are not laws.
The woman I spoke to told me that Disney cannot make people buy an accommodation, ie, Genie+. Now, CMs are not making people buy Genie+, it's a suggestion. She did say it needs to be looked into and that if people are having problems with denials, they should file a complaint. Disney only has to provide reasonable accommodations which I think we all know. No accommodation is not reasonable. So, say if someone goes to a ride CM and is not given a return to the line time and the guest feels this is not reasonable because of their condition, file a claim with file a complaint with the Disability Rights Section (DRS) in the Department of Justice , not the ADA. Note this will not help cheaters because filers will have to prove their disability, especially if the claim moves up the ladder.
My other question was about the class action thing you have to sign and she said they can't answer legal questions.

Last edited:

ConfettiCupcake

K, I called the ADA because I figured that agency could give me answers. We are not experts and can debate for a quadrillion yrs but our thoughts are not laws.
The woman I spoke to told me that Disney cannot make people buy an accommodation, ie, Genie+. Now, CMs are not making people buy Genie+, it's a suggestion. She did say it needs to be looked into and that if people are having problems with denials, they should file a complaint. Disney only has to provide reasonable accommodations which I think we all know. No accommodation is not reasonable. So, say if someone goes to a ride CM and is not given a return to the line time and the guest feels this is not reasonable because of their condition, file a claim with the ADA.
My other question was about the class action thing you have to sign and she said they can't answer legal questions.

They aren’t making anyone buy anything though. The accommodation when you’re denied DAS is the exit and return to line (not go buy Genie), which unless I’m misunderstanding doesn’t even require approval to use.

If there’s one thing I know about Disney is that they covered themselves legally before making moves here.

JAN J

Well sometimes WDW's customers have successfully pushed back on unfavorable policies, as in the case of the ADR no show fee. It still exists, but it has been tweaked over the years.

If WDW's customers vote with their wallet, then WDW makes corrections.

Mind, I'm not saying it will happen with this policy change.
I guess if it's something that affects pretty much all guests negatively and only generates bad publicity (i.e. paid parking in resorts and the reservation system), then, yes, it can be reversed.

But this only affects a subset of guests, and since (at least in theory) it can actually improve waiting times, and Disney can always see they provide different accomodations (and suggestions from the look of it), I see this maybe getting tweaked a bit. But I wouldn't count on a full reversal or something too similar to the old system.

The ideal world would be old system with no abusers. But, unfortunately, I don't think that's possible.

MickeyLuv'r

I'm speaking in generalities - that the point of all of this to have Genie + work the way it was meant to work for people purchasing it.

You gave a lot of what ifs, which isn't really what I'm talking about. Of course anything can happen.
Tone is hard to convey in a forum. I partly agree with you. I'm more posting more to discuss than to disagree.

As I said though, I'm a bit skeptical that this those who have never used DAS will see a big improvement.

Happyday

Just as there were what, like 30,000 pages in the Covid thread?
I have started reading the thread referenced here and so far it is just talking about Genie+ how it works why it's bad... I have only found one post about the Universal system. Disclaimer there are over 1000 posts and there are still posts coming in, I have only scratched the surface.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom