New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Vclguy90

Even among those with ASD, many people don't neatly fit into a particular level. There's an expression in the ASD community. If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism. The levels are useful in a clinical setting, but autism experts tend to caution about over generalization and some are even advocating for removing them from the DSM.

No, that's allowed. Abuse is someone making up a diagnosis to get DAS.
Understood. How is this verifiable without requiring documentation? Are they employing clinical psychologist as DAS agents?

MickeyLuv'r

It will work the way it was meant to work. That's it.
Call me a bit skeptical.

This discussion reminds me of the old FP- and FP+ threads. Disney has a long-standing issue with reliability. They also have a long history of having a double standard when it comes to time constraints. So we do everything WDW asks, we set our alarm, we pay, we book our G+ exactly at 7am, we wait 10-20-maybe30mniutes of an unpredictable transportation system, get through security.....

Then we get to Remy and five minutes later the ride goes down. (It doesn't matter how much effort we made to arrive for 8:30am.)

Or we get to 'Ohana, 15 minutes ahead of our ADR time, but we have to wait another 50 to be seated. (Doesn't matter how much effort we made to arrive on time.)

Or we get to the boat dock, but the boat isn't running. Or the bus doesn't arrive for over an hour. (Doesn't matter if we miss Early Entry.)

Long ago, WDW was a bit forgiving. If you were late to your FP- because you were stuck waiting on a bus, a slow meal, or were literally stuck on Splash Mountain, it was okay. You could still you your FP- an hour outside the time window.

But over the last 20 years WDW has come to squeeze their guests ever more to compensate. (If MDE glitches at 7am, too bad. If your $30M+band has a software glitch, too bad. )

If you are saying it will work for Disney, I agree. If you are saying it will work better for WDW's customers, I'm skeptical.

I recall all the many forum posts I've read where WDW's customers were blamed over and over for the failures of FP-, FP+, ADR's, G+ and transportation.

ConfettiCupcake

It won't crash and burn, the outrage will die down and then it will be accepted. Just like with everything else, like it or not.

Deja vu for those of us who witnessed the GAC to DAS changeover. The real Disney Circle of Life, the new systems that are terrible inevitably become the ones we miss and view through rose colored glasses.

I know thats what they claim as a disclaimer. But there has never been a day where i have not been able to get at least 5-6 attractions and MK more.

I’m sure similar for most parkgoers like us who spend their free time on Disney forums like this and who intimately understand the system and touring. We’re not the majority though. Theres a reason the disclaimer is there though, and if memory serves it was added at some point after Genie began it didn’t start there.

Purduevian

Oh I see what you are saying. Maybe they deem abuse as someone who has DAS and ILL/G+ at the same time? If so then I will for sure be abusing mine when TBA opens if I don't get in the VQ.

Point being, how is all of this measured? I wish I knew.
There is nothing against the rules from doing anything while waiting for a DAS return time. I think this is/was a big flaw in the system, but that's Disney's fault not the users.

Maybe Disney needs DAS Police that put DAS users in Disney jail if geolocation data shows them (God forbid) waiting for their DAS window?

Come on DAS people, keep moving, don't want Disney PoPo to catch you relaxing outside a queue...
Disney has ways of tracking guests through phones, magic bands, and even shoe prints. I would 100% be on board with Disney utilizing this technology to ban guests that are clearly abusing the DAS system (abuse= got DAS but are fully capable of waiting in hour plus lines).

For example, any ride that has a photo option (Pirates, TBA(?), HM, 7D, Space, Buzz, GotG, TT, Frozen, SDD, ToT, RnRC, Everest, and Dinosaur), or small world (it says your name). Knows if an individual rode a ride at a given time. Simply flag any individual that has DAS and rode any of these rides if it had over an hour wait AND the user didn't use G+ or DAS to ride it. Have a real person look at the evidence and determine if there was clear abuse.

pigglewiggle

Call me a bit skeptical.

This discussion reminds me of the old FP- and FP+ threads. Disney has a long-standing issue with reliability. They also have a long history of having a double standard when it comes to time constraints. So we do everything WDW asks, we set our alarm, we pay, we book our G+ exactly at 7am, we wait 10-20-maybe30mniutes of an unpredictable transportation system, get through security.....

Then we get to Remy and five minutes later the ride goes down.

Or we get to 'Ohana, 15 minutes ahead of our ADR time, but we have to wait another 50 to be seated.

Or we get to the boat dock, but the boat isn't running. Or the bus doesn't arrive for over an hour.

Long ago, WDW was a bit forgiving. If you were late to your FP- because you were stuck waiting on a bus, a slow meal, or were literally stuck on Splash Mountain, it was okay. You could still you your FP- an hour outside the time window.

But over the last 20 years WDW has come to squeeze their guests ever more to compensate.

If you are saying it will work for Disney, I agree. If you are saying it will work better for WDW's customers, I'm skeptical.

I recall all the many forum posts I've read where WDW's customers were blamed over and over for the failures of FP-, FP+, ADR's, G+ and transportation.

I'm speaking in generalities - that the point of all of this to have Genie + work the way it was meant to work for people purchasing it.

You gave a lot of what ifs, which isn't really what I'm talking about. Of course anything can happen.

Chi84

Premium Member
Call me a bit skeptical.

Then we get to Remy and five minutes later the ride goes down.

Or we get to 'Ohana, 15 minutes ahead of our ADR time, but we have to wait another 50 to be seated.

Or we get to the boat dock, but the boat isn't running. Or the bus doesn't arrive for over an hour.

But over the last 20 years WDW has come to squeeze their guests ever more to compensate.

I agree with you. Other than blatant abuse such as outright lying, the flaws in Disney’s system are attributable to them, not their customers.

RSoxNo1

Here's a snip:
I'm gonna play devil's advocate on this one. Autism is absolutely a spectrum disorder. The right (or wrong) doctor could diagnose autism traits in nearly every functional adult. There are absolutely more severe cases and I'd like to think we all know the difference. To start, something as innocuous as being able to request the DAS for yourself may be enough of a barrier for Disney to deny someone.

Case in point, there is no way my brother would be able to navigate those waters. With that being said, I'm guessing my 76 year old parents probably couldn't navigate those waters either for completely different reasons.

Splash4eva

There is nothing against the rules from doing anything while waiting for a DAS return time. I think this is/was a big flaw in the system, but that's Disney's fault not the users.

Disney has ways of tracking guests through phones, magic bands, and even shoe prints. I would 100% be on board with Disney utilizing this technology to ban guests that are clearly abusing the DAS system (abuse= got DAS but are fully capable of waiting in hour plus lines).

For example, any ride that has a photo option (Pirates, TBA(?), HM, 7D, Space, Buzz, GotG, TT, Frozen, SDD, ToT, RnRC, Everest, and Dinosaur), or small world (it says your name). Knows if an individual rode a ride at a given time. Simply flag any individual that has DAS and rode any of these rides if it had over an hour wait AND the user didn't use G+ or DAS to ride it. Have a real person look at the evidence and determine if there was clear abuse.
Do you really think people who are lying to get DAS are actually waiting in hour long lines?!? Listen as a DAS user. And someone who also buys Genie+. It really is not difficult to have rides basically lined up during majority of your day if you so desire especially with the pre books… anyone with half a brain could pull it off and be considered according to this thread a “power user”

MickeyLuv'r

It won't crash and burn, the outrage will die down and then it will be accepted. Just like with everything else, like it or not.

Well sometimes WDW's customers have successfully pushed back on unfavorable policies, as in the case of the ADR no show fee. It still exists, but it has been tweaked over the years.

If WDW's customers vote with their wallet, then WDW makes corrections.

Mind, I'm not saying it will happen with this policy change.

pigglewiggle

Well sometimes WDW's customers have successfully pushed back on unfavorable policies, as in the case of the ADR no show fee. It still exists, but it has been tweaked over the years.

If WDW's customers vote with their wallet, then WDW makes corrections.

Mind, I'm not saying it will happen with this policy change.

Absolutely anything is possible. I just don't think there are enough people against this change that would matter in terms of voting with wallet. I suspect more people are (quietly) for the change.

I do think it will evolve from this current form.

Grantwil93

Correct. And. Disney has always said, and continues to say on their site, that guests are allowed to use standby for other atttactions while waiting for their DAS return time. That is use as intended.
As had been said numerous times and ways in this thread.

The only thing that is actually "abuse" under the old system was outright lying to get it.

But, this boiled down to this system(being used as intended) breaking WDW entire operation when being used by a certain threshold of guests every day.

So Disney had 2 choices:

1. Change how the system works so it's far worse for those who actually get it, but fixes the massive issues it's causing at the scale it's currently used by guests

2. Massively reduce the number of ppl with DAS without tweaking how it actually functions and offer alternate accommodations to try to fix the operational issues.

They mostly picked option 2, with some more minor adjustments in line with option 1.

Right or wrong, it's what they have done.

-
It's like this:
Let's say there is a road that has a 70mph speed limit. On this road, in one particular area, there are tons of crashes. No one is speeding egregiously or breaking rules, but it's causing issues still. Its a "broken" system being used as intended. The government could reduce the speed limit(change the system) in that area to try and reduce the issues. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. People probably will get angry that their drive will get longer, etc.

Whether these are good or bad changes is a fine debate, but I feel like getting offended and getting into semantic arguments that the word "abuse" is being used is a waste of time at this point and a very tired topic. Call it soft abuse, overuse, whatever.

Purduevian

That might be your definition of abuse but it is not Disney’s and it is not mine.

It’s like telling someone they can’t use a handicap parking spot if they are capable of walking.
I thought the entire point of DAS was to provide a return time for those that can not wait in a line... If they then go wait in an hour long line without any issue isn't that abuse?

To compare it to your analogy, its like watching someone park in a handicap spot for one store, then go to another store immediately after and park in a decently far spot and walk in and out just fine. I'll concede that it doesn't 100% mean abuse, but it is certainly suspicious and worth looking into.

Do you really think people who are lying to get DAS are actually waiting in hour long lines?!? Listen as a DAS user. And someone who also buys Genie+. It really is not difficult to have rides basically lined up during majority of your day if you so desire especially with the pre books… anyone with half a brain could pull it off and be considered according to this thread a “power user”
I think there are people that abuse the system to get DAS, but don't get G+. They get a 120min return time for 7D, then go hop in a 65min space mountain line. Again, I don't think this is automatically abuse but should probably be investigated by Disney (maybe it's an outdoor vs indoor issue for example).

ConfettiCupcake

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using whatever systems Disney provides to us to the fullest that they allow us to use them.

I think it’s past the point of debate at this point that Disney obvious had an issue with the high levels of DAS usage in the LL. I think abuse is a divisive and overly negative way to describe it, but whatever you want to refer to it as Disney obviously has decided it’s too much and too overwhelming for the whole thing.

Chi84

Premium Member
I thought the entire point of DAS was to provide a return time for those that can no wait in a line... If they then go wait in a line without any issue isn't that abuse?

To compare it to your analogy, its like watching someone park in a handicap spot for one store, then go to another store immediately after and park in a decently far spot and walk in and out just fine. I'll concede that it doesn't 100% mean abuse, but it is certainly suspicious and worth looking into.

I think there are people that abuse the system to get DAS, but don't get G+. They get a 120min return time for 7D, then go hop in a 65min space mountain line. Again, I don't think this is automatically abuse but should probably be investigated by Disney (maybe it's an outdoor vs indoor issue for example).
It’s just my opinion, but arguing over whether allowed use of a system is overuse on the level of abuse is nonproductive.

Angel Ariel

I thought the entire point of DAS was to provide a return time for those that can no wait in a line... If they then go wait in a line without any issue isn't that abuse?
This is the threshold conversation. A person may be able to wait 15-20 mins, but not be able to wait 60+. Going on something like tea cups with a 5-10 min wait while waiting for a 60+ min wait on SDMT doesn't mean they're lying or abusing anything. This was actively encouraged by Disney - in practice and in writing.

Not a great analogy. We have an accessible tag for DD, and will park in those spots when available. But if they aren't available, we will park wherever we can - and sometimes that means it's far - but it's unreasonable to expect people to circle in the parking lot until an accessible spot is available. There's lots of reasons someone with an accessible tag may not use it all the time - doesn't mean their need for the tag is a lie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom