New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

I think Disney is far more appealing to people with disabilities than Universal is. Those with disabilities probably can’t do a lot of Universals rides, same with older people who tend to have a lot of medical issues.
💯. We did universal Hollywood this year for the first time - an add on to our dlr trip. Much much less for DD to do than at Disney.

Vclguy90

It won't crash and burn, the outrage will die down and then it will be accepted. Just like with everything else, like it or not.
Incredulous Yeah Right GIF by Nick Cannon

Angel Ariel

I don't think the snow plow parents understand the damage they are doing to their children.

I also don't think every neurodivergent issue should qualify you for a DAS. It should really be only be for individuals who are at ASD level 3.
There are many disorders that present similarly or the same as "ASD level 3" that aren't autism. This is why diagnosis based determinations are problematic.

Angel Ariel

Disney has always said to expect to wait the same amount of time just not in a physical queue. Which is exactly what happened.
Correct. And. Disney has always said, and continues to say on their site, that guests are allowed to use standby for other atttactions while waiting for their DAS return time. That is use as intended.

Splash4eva

Agreed. I think deciding Disney is doing this to directly force former DAS users into a G+ purchase is missing the mark. Rather I think what they’re trying to do here is make Genie+ an upcharge people are happy to purchase (much like parties and after hour events) and not one people are begrudgingly purchasing as the lesser of two evils.

Their own 2-3 ride average use for Genie+ is abysmal for a line skip program. I have no doubt they know this and still understand (although it feels like it’s faded a bit in recent years) that happy people spend more money.
I know thats what they claim as a disclaimer. But there has never been a day where i have not been able to get at least 5-6 attractions and MK more.

Vclguy90

Correct. And. Disney has always said, and continues to say on their site, that guests are allowed to use standby for other atttactions while waiting for their DAS return time. That is use as intended.
Oh I see what you are saying. Maybe they deem abuse as someone who has DAS and ILL/G+ at the same time? If so then I will for sure be abusing mine when TBA opens if I don't get in the VQ.

Point being, how is all of this measured? I wish I knew.

Chi84

Premium Member
I can't really answer all the questions you pose, but in the little I am familiar with the system at Universal, people with the pass are allowed to do something else while they wait.

A significant difference between the two properties is the difference between Express Pass and G+/ILL. Universal came up with an option that is simple to use and easy to understand. Disney came up with a convoluted system that is a confusing mess, with a high degree of uncertainty.

Disney parkgoers are frustrated, and, as we often see, angry people want a scapegoat. I am inclined to think Disney's version of Express Pass is 90% of the problem. It is horrible.

I can say with EP, park goers just go on whichever attraction they want. Unlike Disney, Universal does not limit where EP users go while their park is open.
Right but there’s something like 1,000 pages of posts on why Universal’s system could not be adapted to fit WDW.

lazyboy97o

Funny you should mention that. When you sign off on the terms and conditions prior to your discussion with the phone team, you waive your right to participate in a class action lawsuit.
“You can’t get access to legally required accommodations unless you agree not to seek legal enforcement of said legally required accommodations” screams unenforceable.

Disstevefan1

My guess -- and it's just a guess -- is that Disney ran the geolocation data of people using DAS based on the location reported by their MDE app, and noticed that many people who "can't wait in line" were spending their time waiting for their DAS window waiting in line for other attractions.
Maybe Disney needs DAS Police that put DAS users in Disney jail if geolocation data shows them (God forbid) waiting for their DAS window?

Come on DAS people, keep moving, don't want Disney PoPo to catch you relaxing outside a queue...

mikejs78

Premium Member
There are many disorders that present similarly or the same as "ASD level 3" that aren't autism. This is why diagnosis based determinations are problematic.

Even among those with ASD, many people don't neatly fit into a particular level. There's an expression in the ASD community. If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism. The levels are useful in a clinical setting, but autism experts tend to caution about over generalization and some are even advocating for removing them from the DSM.

Maybe they deem abuse as someone who has DAS and ILL/G+ at the same time?

No, that's allowed. Abuse is someone making up a diagnosis to get DAS.

RSoxNo1

A g+ user cannot use nearly as much capacity as a DAS user. It’s not even close. If all the people who were previously using DAS and are now denied move to G+ it will still improve overall capacity and smooth it out amongst users.
The DAS system is a more favorable system, but someone that is justified in their use of DAS often has other limitations that restrict their abilities around the park. I recognize this is anecdotal, but when I'm traveling solo I can accomplish a lot more with Genie+, then when I'm traveling with my autistic brother and my family (admittedly another variable) and I have access to both Genie+ and DAS.

Part of the problem here are these blanket statements.

Disstevefan1

A g+ user cannot use nearly as much capacity as a DAS user. It’s not even close. If all the people who were previously using DAS and are now denied move to G+ it will still improve overall capacity and smooth it out amongst users.
Lets see what happens.

What if Disney increases the number of Genie+ sold to accommodate ALL the former DAS users who were DAS users because they CANT use standby?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom