New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

maemae74

Yes, and in that case, I see why Disney recommends conditioning kids for queues. I understand that this particular thread is filled with competent people who do their best to manage their own or their children’s conditions. But not all parents are like that. In the education system, tons of children have psychiatric conditions, and some parents do their best to help their children manage those conditions as much as possible, but other parents do almost nothing. It’s not unreasonable to make suggestions to such people. Their children’s teachers certainly are.

With that said, I would hazard a guess that the type of person who will do nothing to help their child with ADHD, is also the type of person who will not read these recommendations. I’m sure that’s why the people commenting on the recommendations feel like it’s condescending. You already know all of these things, of course.

One of my kids has ADHD and I would’ve never thought to actually get DAS because it’s easy enough to manage him.
As a teacher I wish more parents were like you.

ToTBellHop

As a teacher I wish more parents were like you.
I would never seek to downplay the struggles of others, but I do wish more parents took adequate responsibility for their children. This is a pervasive problem across many aspects of modern society, regardless of disability status. Some of the crazy things people let their kids get away with nowadays are sickening. I always tell my son that his condition does not give him the right to be dangerous or rude. I want him to one day be an upstanding member of society. I don’t always get the impression that some children’s parents feel the same.

maemae74

I would never seek to downplay the struggles of others, but I do wish more parents took adequate responsibility for their children. This is a pervasive problem across many aspects of modern society, regardless of disability status. Some of the crazy things people let their kids get away with nowadays are sickening. I always tell my son that his condition does not give him the right to be dangerous or rude. I want him to one day be an upstanding member of society. I don’t always get the impression that some children’s parents feel the same.
I don't think the snow plow parents understand the damage they are doing to their children.

I also don't think every neurodivergent issue should qualify you for a DAS. It should really be only be for individuals who are at ASD level 3.

ToTBellHop

I don't think the snow plow parents understand the damage they are doing to their children.

I also don't think every neurodivergent issue should qualify you for a DAS. It should really be only be for individuals who are at ASD level 3.
I think it’s very challenging for any company to draw such a line in the sand given how personally people take such decisions. But, it feels like they are offering some sort of accommodation to everyone so no one can reasonably claim they were told “no.” Schools aren’t that kind. With the post-pandemic uptick in SPED referrals, more and more families do not qualify for services. And if parents won’t do anything…good luck, teachers.

MickeyLuv'r

I am going to ask this again as there is radio silence... After you get your IBCCES at Universal what does their accomodations look like? How do those individuals ride the rides?
One thing Universal uses is a paper system like WDW used to do. A member of the party goes to the attraction and presents a paper form. CM looks at posted wait time and writes a return time on the paper. At the return time or later, the party is allowed to use the Express Lane queue to ride. I think they are also limited like WDW, in they can only make 1 request at a time.

At least that is my understanding. I think it was explained earlier in this thread.

After person is approved through IBCESS, they also have to be approved by Universal. Once they are approved by Universal, they also have to pick up the paper pass at GS in the park.

One addition is that a number of theme/amusement parks use the same IBCESS card.

DisneyHead123

Yes, and in that case, I see why Disney recommends conditioning kids for queues. I understand that this particular thread is filled with competent people who do their best to manage their own or their children’s conditions. But not all parents are like that. In the education system, tons of children have psychiatric conditions, and some parents do their best to help their children manage those conditions as much as possible, but other parents do almost nothing. It’s not unreasonable to make suggestions to such people. Their children’s teachers certainly are.
My wife works for a school district where all she does is manage meetings between parents and school accommodations for a variety of needs. I echo everything in this post. Disney is not wrong to put forth such obvious recommendations because there are tons of parents or caretakers that NEED this advice or sometimes don't care to read or learn more.

Sometimes a website is just not talking to you, so do t get too offended.

I'm open to the idea that I'm over sensitive on this particular topic. To explain the parent POV a bit further - there is a fine line between giving a parent an actual recommendation, and inadvertently implying they are just a bad parent and that's why their child has issues.

An occupational therapist sending home a list of exercises to do? - A recommendation, of course.

A disapproving stranger staring down their nose at a child with ARFID and sighing "Well why don't you just tell him he has to eat whatever you serve? That's what I did with my children and it worked great." - Inadvertently implying a child only has issues because they have crappy parents.

I guess it's a matter of the person coming from a place of actual expertise vs. making knee jerk judgements about things they don't know much about.

"Practice waiting in line" isn't always going to be a terrible recommendation, I think the issue is that it's on a page for ND adults and parents of ND children, at all different levels. For some of those children, it may be perfectly appropriate. For other people, it might be like saying "Practice not having anxiety and loving crowds, because Disney will be more fun if you don't have anxiety and love crowds." Like, um... no s*** Sherlock, lol. If I could snap my fingers and make that happen I wouldn't be reading a page on disabilities.

I think a page like that is probably just too general as a "Disabilities Info Page". A doctor or therapist wouldn't give a list of blanket recommendations or exercises for all ages and support levels, because clearly many would be nonsensical depending on who received it.

Happyday

One thing Universal uses is a paper system like WDW used to do. A member of the party goes to the attraction and presents a paper form. CM looks at posted wait time and writes a return time on the paper. At the return time or later, the party is allowed to use the Express Lane queue to ride. I think they are also limited like WDW, in they can only make 1 request at a time.

At least that is my understanding. I think it was explained earlier in this thread.

After person is approved through IBCESS, they also have to be approved by Universal. Once they are approved by Universal, they also have to pick up the paper pass at GS in the park.

One addition is that a number of theme/amusement parks use the same IBCESS card.
THANK YOU! So besides the IBCESS card what Disney is doing now is similar to Universal minus going to the ride which used to be how Disney did it with DAS. So all those people out there saying Disney goes above and beyond are looking at the fact that they didn't differentiate between disabilities, no surprise when you don't ask for 'proof'. All this talk about re-rides and doing something else while you are waiting happens at Universal? This tells me that if it doesn't get better with the new system than it isn't the system that is the issue. Do any of you believe that Universal is allowing 'abuse' with this system? Does anyone think they would have more accessibility at Universal? Again not trying to argue or discount anyone's situation just trying to figure out why it is there is so much upset over this.

pigglewiggle

This kind of touches on why I think a lot of the debate around the DAS changes is being interpreted as insensitive. Disney has been shifting away from what a lot of us fell in love with initially, that it’s happening to DAS users too feels a bit like ‘yeah, no kidding, join the club’.

For years now Disney has been becoming more complex and or more expensive for all the guests. That they’re making changes to DAS that former DAS users are unhappy with feels like more of the same.

Conversely, getting the waits under control in the lightning lanes will go a long way to making guests who choose to purchase Genie + feel that they are getting what they paid for. That, along with capping the number of people who can get Genie +, will make a bitter pill easier to swallow for guests.

ToTBellHop

I'm open to the idea that I'm over sensitive on this particular topic. To explain the parent POV a bit further - there is a fine line between giving a parent an actual recommendation, and inadvertently implying they are just a bad parent and that's why their child has issues.

An occupational therapist sending home a list of exercises to do? - A recommendation, of course.

A disapproving stranger staring down their nose at a child with ARFID and sighing "Well why don't you just tell him he has to eat whatever you serve? That's what I did with my children and it worked great." - Inadvertently implying a child only has issues because they have crappy parents.

I guess it's a matter of the person coming from a place of actual expertise vs. making knee jerk judgements about things they don't know much about.

"Practice waiting in line" isn't always going to be a terrible recommendation, I think the issue is that it's on a page for ND adults and parents of ND children, at all different levels. For some of those children, it may be perfectly appropriate. For other people, it might be like saying "Practice not having anxiety and loving crowds, because Disney will be more fun if you don't have anxiety and love crowds." Like, um... no s*** Sherlock, lol. If I could snap my fingers and make that happen I wouldn't be reading a page on disabilities.

I think a page like that is probably just too general as a "Disabilities Info Page". A doctor or therapist wouldn't give a list of blanket recommendations or exercises for all ages and support levels, because clearly many would be nonsensical depending on who received it.
I think they had to be very limited in their recommendations. If you get in the weeds too much with various conditions, it will be 500 pages.

Most of their recommendations are good for ANYONE visiting the parks. There are plenty of neurotypical people who have convinced themselves post pandemic that they CAN’T wait in line, including the people who boasted online about lying for DAS. Someone needs to tell them, “yes, you can.”

They tried being nice and trusting toward everyone and it was unsustainable.

ConfettiCupcake

Conversely, getting the waits under control in the lightning lanes will go a long way to making guests who choose to purchase Genie + feel that they are getting what they paid for. That, along with capping the number of people who can get Genie +, will make a bitter pill easier to swallow for guests.

Agreed. I think deciding Disney is doing this to directly force former DAS users into a G+ purchase is missing the mark. Rather I think what they’re trying to do here is make Genie+ an upcharge people are happy to purchase (much like parties and after hour events) and not one people are begrudgingly purchasing as the lesser of two evils.

Their own 2-3 ride average use for Genie+ is abysmal for a line skip program. I have no doubt they know this and still understand (although it feels like it’s faded a bit in recent years) that happy people spend more money.

MickeyLuv'r

THANK YOU! So besides the IBCESS card what Disney is doing now is similar to Universal minus going to the ride which used to be how Disney did it with DAS. So all those people out there saying Disney goes above and beyond are looking at the fact that they didn't differentiate between disabilities, no surprise when you don't ask for 'proof'. All this talk about re-rides and doing something else while you are waiting happens at Universal? This tells me that if it doesn't get better with the new system than it isn't the system that is the issue. Do any of you believe that Universal is allowing 'abuse' with this system? Does anyone think they would have more accessibility at Universal? Again not trying to argue or discount anyone's situation just trying to figure out why it is there is so much upset over this.
I can't really answer all the questions you pose, but in the little I am familiar with the system at Universal, people with the pass are allowed to do something else while they wait.

A significant difference between the two properties is the difference between Express Pass and G+/ILL. Universal came up with an option that is simple to use and easy to understand. Disney came up with a convoluted system that is a confusing mess, with a high degree of uncertainty.

Disney parkgoers are frustrated, and, as we often see, angry people want a scapegoat. I am inclined to think Disney's version of Express Pass is 90% of the problem. It is horrible.

I can say with EP, park goers just go on whichever attraction they want. Unlike Disney, Universal does not limit where EP users go while their park is open.

RSoxNo1

If Disney is truly putting all DAS denials on frontline attraction CMs as is speculated.... that's so irresponsible.
I spoke with someone at Disneyland about this and at least out there they will have a dedicated disability services team in the esplanade to direct guests to.

Angel Ariel

My guess -- and it's just a guess -- is that Disney ran the geolocation data of people using DAS based on the location reported by their MDE app, and noticed that many people who "can't wait in line" were spending their time waiting for their DAS window waiting in line for other attractions.
There are thresholds of being able to wait in line, though. A developmentally disabled person (since that's a listed piece of DAS now) may be able to wait for 20-25 mins in line, but not be able to wait 60 mins+ without issues. And just "practicing at home" with these individuals has likely been done for years, so responses like treating it like a marathon and train before you come aren't exactly helpful.

Disstevefan1

Disney "fixed" DAS by shutting many out many who needed it as they cant use standby, so they NEED to purchase Genie+'

Then Disney caps the number of Genie+ they will be selling?
BadFeeling.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom