New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ConfettiCupcake

This goes along with my comment earlier, Disney designed a program, and implemented policies, that made DAS ripe for soft abuse (for lack of a better word), whether your condition prevented waiting in a 10 minute line or a 45 minute line the advise was the same… use DAS and do other things while you wait. While it wasn’t outright abuse it lead to unsustainable overuse, and that’s why we are where we are now.

Had Disney changed their policies to limit use to specific line lengths, to a certain number of rides a day, to 1 use per ride, to a certain group size, etc they probably could have salvaged DAS, instead they just eliminated it and now those who genuinely needed it are left with nothing.

These policy changes only make sense (save for the group size one) if we’re viewing DAS as an overall assist with the goal of making the individuals day smoother and not simply access to individual attractions. DAS isn’t intended to be that though. When you cut off repeats and number of overall rides per day, you’re no longer providing access the same way the general public has via the standby lines.

They seem to be leaning way harder into it being about access at each attraction, which to me is why return to line is being deemed as an appropriate accommodation despite it being arguably less convenient.

Indy_UK

Why is it when it comes to things like Disability Access or pretty much anything for that matter, Universal seem to just do it with minimal fuss but when Disney does it, it’s always is hap hazard and a mess

ConfettiCupcake

Why is it when it comes to things like Disability Access or pretty much anything for that matter, Universal seem to just do it with minimal fuss but when Disney does it, it’s always is hap hazard and a mess

I’d imagine probably similar reasons that they can run a ‘better’ line skip program and give it to some of their resort guests for free, less demand.

pdude81

In universal facebook groups or twitter, those complaining for any reason are shamed and blamed. Told they should have done something else or should be happy they weren't worse off than whatever situation they were complaining about. It's a different clientele in a lot of cases with different expectations.

Also because Disney caves more often to guest demands.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think Disney is far more appealing to people with disabilities than Universal is. Those with disabilities probably can’t do a lot of Universals rides, same with older people who tend to have a lot of medical issues.

RamblinWreck

It seems the rollout of the latest iteration of Universals disability access had quite a bit of fuss and mess around it when it launched.

Grantwil93

Disney does have the main difference of a much larger majority of their attractions being far more accessible.

Even just going off 1 thing, size of riders, Disney is more friendly. Let alone intensity, accessible lines, ride type, etc.

There are less rides at Disney that people would look at and just skip if they have various conditions or restrictions.

Leading to a more complex and more in demand system because more rides are catering to more people who need accommodations. Snowball effect.

If you go a step below universal to something like 6 flags, then half the park is non accessible Rollercoasters. So they have less demand in that area to deal with.

TrainsOfDisney

Also because Disney caves more often to guest demands.
I would phrase this very differently- Disney built their reputation on providing over the top guest service and experiences. “Every guest is a VIP”

People expect to be treated different at Disney because Disney claimed they were different.

For the most part they still are - Disney CM’s are generally very friendly and helpful - but policy changes like this make it more difficult for the front line CM’s. In my opinion of course.

ConfettiCupcake

I would phrase this very differently- Disney built their reputation on providing over the top guest service and experiences. “Every guest is a VIP”

People expect to be treated different at Disney because Disney claimed they were different.

For the most part they still are - Disney CM’s are generally very friendly and helpful - but policy changes like this make it more difficult for the front line CM’s. In my opinion of course.

This kind of touches on why I think a lot of the debate around the DAS changes is being interpreted as insensitive. Disney has been shifting away from what a lot of us fell in love with initially, that it’s happening to DAS users too feels a bit like ‘yeah, no kidding, join the club’.

For years now Disney has been becoming more complex and or more expensive for all the guests. That they’re making changes to DAS that former DAS users are unhappy with feels like more of the same.

JMcMahonEsq

Having non-medically trained CM’s judge the level of a condition over zoom is just asking for legal issues.
Why? In almost every application for reasonable accommodation under the ADA (either workplace or public spaces) you have non-medically trained people making a decision about the level of accommodation. Sure there might be doctor's notes involved or diagnosis statements that an employee comes in with, but the initial decisions on 1) can a reasonable accommodation be offered for the role and 2) what they can offer for a reasonable accommodation for that particular person is almost always going to be coming from HR, Hiring Department, and the supervisor/executive who is most familiar with what the person is going to be doing at the location (and sadly from my perspective not early enough, legal.)

If challenges or threats of litigation arise then sure a medical person might be consulted, but companies aren't paying for medical opinions for every RA request, nor is Disney going to want to basically keep medical personnel on staff full time to constantly review these applications.

JMcMahonEsq

Agreed. DAS will do nothing to help, especially since 1) she is still standing in line while passing hundreds of people and she's literally walking past thousands of people a day.
This actually gives rise to an interesting dichotomy as up north in NJ and NY marijuana and THC use is not only legal, but is actually protected. In NJ you can't discriminate (even in hiring) against someone based upon their marijuana usage.

dreamfinder912

Universal has conditioned their guests differently. Disney's top tier customer service leads to full on "Karen" tantrums because they know if they complain enough they'll get what they want. Mnsshp isn't refundable due to weather but everyone who asks (politely, please ask politely) gets a refund. So people learn Disney policy isn't "real" and they ignore it.

Universal not so much. Universal doesn't care about your poor planning. Universal also will/has the reputation to kick out line skippers.

They also have a functional system outside of disability assistance. For myself I never needed much help because of fp and later fp+. But once that was removed attractions weren't something I could sort out on my own. At universal I don't even register anymore unless it's a brand new attraction because there's just no need I can do it on my own. I only need to when it's not something I can use their Express pass for.

JAN J

This definitely seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen - is Disney doing the actual judgment calls or is the 3rd party?

Judging the severity of a medical condition in a quick interview is really not the way to do this. It’s why Disney and other businesses are only legally allowed to ask a few questions regarding service dogs and they don’t get to judge if a service dog is actually needed for a theme park visit or not.
Regardless of who is making the calls, they are not evaluating the severity of the disease/condition, they are evaluating whether the condition prevents the person from waiting in line like everyone else, and if other options are suitable or not.

A quick interview might not give you a full view, but for a trained professional it should be enough to at least make that decision.

We can't expect them to look at a full medical history of everyone that requests it. It would take months and would quickly create a backlog.

JAN J

Lets face it. What are they offering? A return to line queue which sounds like its gonna be a cluster … they are simply hoping that not many people need to use the system but im sure once people figure a way to abuse that next
I thought about that and I can definitely see it happening, though it wouldn't be to the same extent.

RTQ is not available in all attractions, and you actually have to get to the attraction to request a return time.

SamusAranX

Someone posted on another board that an autistic person in the process of registering was denied DAS and :

Told to practice waiting in lines
Told to work on coping skills
Told panic attacks and anxiety needs to be managed
Told their autism wasn’t “as severe”
Disney knew exactly what they were doing by putting the disclaimer in the new DAS T&C that you can’t participate in a class action suit by agreeing to the terms of use

ToTBellHop

The fact that individuals with ADHD were getting a DAS granted to them under the previous system shows how broken it was.
Yes, and in that case, I see why Disney recommends conditioning kids for queues. I understand that this particular thread is filled with competent people who do their best to manage their own or their children’s conditions. But not all parents are like that. In the education system, tons of children have psychiatric conditions, and some parents do their best to help their children manage those conditions as much as possible, but other parents do almost nothing. It’s not unreasonable to make suggestions to such people. Their children’s teachers certainly are.

With that said, I would hazard a guess that the type of person who will do nothing to help their child with ADHD, is also the type of person who will not read these recommendations. I’m sure that’s why the people commenting on the recommendations feel like it’s condescending. You already know all of these things, of course.

One of my kids has ADHD and I would’ve never thought to actually get DAS because it’s easy enough to manage him.

Happyday

Disney does have the main difference of a much larger majority of their attractions being far more accessible.

Even just going off 1 thing, size of riders, Disney is more friendly. Let alone intensity, accessible lines, ride type, etc.

There are less rides at Disney that people would look at and just skip if they have various conditions or restrictions.

Leading to a more complex and more in demand system because more rides are catering to more people who need accommodations. Snowball effect.

If you go a step below universal to something like 6 flags, then half the park is non accessible Rollercoasters. So they have less demand in that area to deal with.
Exactly why we go to Disney we can't do most of the rides at Universal! We have the double issue of accessibility for mobility issues as well as behavioral issues 🤦🏻‍♀️😝

JD80

Yes, and in that case, I see why Disney recommends conditioning kids for queues. I understand that this particular thread is filled with competent people who do their best to manage their own or their children’s conditions. But not all parents are like that. In the education system, tons of children have psychiatric conditions, and some parents do their best to help their children manage those conditions as much as possible, but other parents do almost nothing. It’s not unreasonable to make suggestions to such people. Their children’s teachers certainly are.

With that said, I would hazard a guess that the type of person who will do nothing to help their child with ADHD, is also the type of person who will not read these recommendations. I’m sure that’s why the people commenting on the recommendations feel like it’s condescending. You already know all of these things, of course.

One of my kids has ADHD and I would’ve never thought to actually get DAS because it’s easy enough to manage him.
My wife works for a school district where all she does is manage meetings between parents and school accommodations for a variety of needs. I echo everything in this post. Disney is not wrong to put forth such obvious recommendations because there are tons of parents or caretakers that NEED this advice or sometimes don't care to read or learn more.

Sometimes a website is just not talking to you, so do t get too offended.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom