New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

JAN J

It's right on the Disney website, part of the accessibility and planning guide. It really reads like someone saying "no, you don't have xyz thing you just need to try harder" as if disabled folks aren't already doing that. It's the mental health equivalent of telling someone with a torn Achilles to just walk it off.
Checked the guide. One of the items says to train to stand in lines (I can't find it now but it was there, I remember seeing it). But also mentions DAS and other assistance services, it's not really saying anything about trying harder.

Purduevian

Developmental problems like autism, hope it covers more than that. As a Vietnam vet I have a service 50% disability (VA) due to agent orange exposure and can't stand for long periods of time due to balance issues. I would hope this qualifies under the new Disney DAS guidelines. I would be more than happy to supply Disney proof
I would call Disney to be sure. However, based on reports from the past 2 days I believe it is unlikely you would qualify. You will most likely be told to bring/use a wheelchair with you while in line. Please note this does NOT mean you need to bring the wheelchair with you everywhere around the park.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't know if they used as the only reason but I saw (in this forum) people mention it as one of the consequences of their disability. Whether it was mentioned to a CM when DAS was issued, that I don't know.
This is likely the case when heat is mentioned, the heat itself isn’t the problem, it’s how the heat affects the underlying medical issue. In my GFs case she has fluid around her heart, she takes medication to control that but when she gets overheated it can cause her to faint, that‘s how she ended up with DAS in the first place, she fainted in line and the CM who helped me get her out of the line afterward advised us about DAS and set it up for us.

We dealt with the risk before, we’ll deal with it again now that she likely doesn’t qualify anymore… apologies in advance if you’re near us when she faints and she takes you down with her in the process, that’s just a risk we’ll have to take again at Disney now.

We’ve never been to WDW in the summer as a result of this, we always go between Oct to March, we’ll likely not renew our DL APs now though, we’re going to lose a lot of value if we can’t safely visit 4 months out of the year.

Last edited:

Splash4eva

What assumption did I make? Was DAS not created for those guests who cannot wait in line due to certain medical issues?
People who get DAS can use it any way they seem fit and want. Disney does NOT in any way say hey only use it for long lines etc. so yes that assumption is completely wrong again. Tell me where Disney even hints that anyone with DAS should not use it always.

Splash4eva

Comped

I would call Disney to be sure. However, based on reports from the past 2 days I believe it is unlikely you would qualify. You will most likely be told to bring/use a wheelchair with you while in line. Please note this does NOT mean you need to bring the wheelchair with you everywhere around the park.
Eh, I'd say there's a fighting chance they get approved. It seems almost random.

Chip Chipperson

People who get DAS can use it any way they seem fit and want. Disney does NOT in any way say hey only use it for long lines etc. so yes that assumption is completely wrong again. Tell me where Disney even hints that anyone with DAS should not use it always.
We've gone over this. There is no excuse for using DAS if you don't need it. You can tell yourself otherwise, but when another poster says they used it when they didn't need too simply because the app isn't programmed to stop them then that's not helping anyone's case when they are upset about the changes to DAS.

You keep harping on "show me where Disney says don't do this" because you know there is a difference between what is technically allowed and what the system is intended to do. It was never intended for "I don't feel like standing in line even though I'm capable of doing so." Jon Bon Jovi has some restaurants near me that have no menu prices. The idea behind the restaurant is that the needy can come in and get a meal while only paying what they can afford - and if they can't afford to pay at all then they pay nothing without any questions asked. Those who can pay for their meals do so knowing that the restaurant uses that money to cover the cost of the free meals. I fortunately don't need to get a free meal, so if I eat there I'm not going to say, "Well there's nothing saying I HAVE to pay, so I'm not going to." That would be abusing the spirit of the policy even though it doesn't violate the actual policy itself.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We've gone over this. There is no excuse for using DAS if you don't need it. You can tell yourself otherwise, but when another poster says they used it when they didn't need too simply because the app isn't programmed to stop them then that's not helping anyone's case when they are upset about the changes to DAS.

You keep harping on "show me where Disney says don't do this" because you know there is a difference between what is technically allowed and what the system is intended to do. It was never intended for "I don't feel like standing in line even though I'm capable of doing so." Jon Bon Jovi has some restaurants near me that have no menu prices. The idea behind the restaurant is that the needy can come in and get a meal while only paying what they can afford - and if they can't afford to pay at all then they pay nothing without any questions asked. Those who can pay for their meals do so knowing that the restaurant uses that money to cover the cost of the free meals. I fortunately don't need to get a free meal, so if I eat there I'm not going to say, "Well there's nothing saying I HAVE to pay, so I'm not going to." That would be abusing the spirit of the policy even though it doesn't violate the actual policy itself.

Well, the poster you're responding to abused the former system, unless getting so irrationally defensive about something that's being taken away was some legitimate concern, so...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom