New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

JAN J

I am happy to hear some cast members are empowered to accommodate Dad. You represent a legitimate user that makes reasonable use of the system. I fear many like you WILL be denied in the new system.
We plan on going again in the near future. If I remember to, I will share how it went.
I guess if the accommodations are not enough, he might eventually not go anymore.

I think the new system is more of a "start small and expand" rather than "start broad and restrict" in terms of issuance. Hope I'm right.

Disstevefan1

…has everyone calmed down in here yet?
unacceptable.gif

RamblinWreck

Not to stir the pot…

But if one has “heat intolerance”…it’s irresponsible to travel to Florida. Not really a “grey” area of life
Maybe.

There may be plenty of conditions aggravated by heat that people have a much easier time managing when they aren’t stuck in a corral out in the sun waiting for Mickey and Minnie’s runaway railway though.

Grantwil93

To play devils advocate here... having Autism should not automatically approve a person for DAS as it has a wide spectrum.

The tips do sound condescending though...
Yeah, I said this in my post a few pages back about the info given Directly to CM's. The alternatives do sound hard to swallow and most CM's aren't excited to get screamed at when having to say these things to guests now.

Just having a developmental disability is not gonna get you the pass. You need to answer why YOU NEED specifically this accommodation.

Otherwise, I could tell them I have documented ADHD and I'm all set. It's gonna be a conversation about your specific needs. Not a blanket granting for a condition. Because that's what broke the last version. "I have ibs, I can't wait in line"

I have 2 people in my extended family with diagnosed Autism. 1 is severe and would absolutely need DAS. The other is high functioning and realistically doesn't NEED it for every attraction. They would be fine with trying to secure a return to queue pass for a few specific rides, and beyond that not need anything else.

Disney is taking that into account in their interview conversations and that's why they have the 3rd party availed to assist in those conversations.

I say again, Disney is required by law to do far less than DAS as an accommodation. I'm not saying I agree with these changes(i dont). But they have a right to do so and they seem to think the consequences won't hurt them as much as the benefits, time will tell if they are right.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Someone posted on another board that an autistic person in the process of registering was denied DAS and :

Told to practice waiting in lines
Told to work on coping skills
Told panic attacks and anxiety needs to be managed
Told their autism wasn’t “as severe”

CASTMEMBER SAYS: We really just want you to BUY G+ and ILL
FIFY:mad:

ConfettiCupcake

It’s really hard to make accurate assumptions on Disneys policies from one persons account. If it becomes a commonly reported pattern, okay.

I could absolutely see the suggestions on how someone should handle the lines being given after someone repeatedly asks the CM what they’re supposed to do now that they’re denied, for example. Is it okay to provide that kind of guidance? No, probably not. But I cant imagine it’s policy for the CMs to advice adults that they should learn to cope with lines. I’m guessing there’s more context to it than just ‘no DAS for you, practice your coping skills instead’.

dreamfinder912

I find this extremely hard to believe…

It's right on the Disney website, part of the accessibility and planning guide. It really reads like someone saying "no, you don't have xyz thing you just need to try harder" as if disabled folks aren't already doing that. It's the mental health equivalent of telling someone with a torn Achilles to just walk it off.

Angel Ariel

I located it and it was posted without context as to the severity of the condition but if true and the conditions require it, it does not bode well for Disney. I sincerely hope the CM did not tell a person how to manage their condition
The poster followed up with a further description later.

It does seem the CM was giving non-Disney program suggestions as how to manage their condition.

I've seen other reports in other places with similar (but first-person ) recounting a

Angel Ariel

Not to stir the pot…

But if one has “heat intolerance”…it’s irresponsible to travel to Florida. Not really a “grey” area of life
The CM in this thread who talked about heat intolerance lives in Florida.

Also, I would gently suggest it also depends on what time of year someone travels. Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/March are not what I'd call hot most of the time. I've traveled to wdw during most of those months and needed pants and long sleeves throughout the day. (But generally was comfortable in jeans and t-shirt with layers for early morning/after sundown)

John park hopper

Developmental problems like autism, hope it covers more than that. As a Vietnam vet I have a service 50% disability (VA) due to agent orange exposure and can't stand for long periods of time due to balance issues. I would hope this qualifies under the new Disney DAS guidelines. I would be more than happy to supply Disney proof

Happyday

It's right on the Disney website, part of the accessibility and planning guide. It really reads like someone saying "no, you don't have xyz thing you just need to try harder" as if disabled folks aren't already doing that. It's the mental health equivalent of telling someone with a torn Achilles to just walk it off.
It is one thing to post it on the website for people to read especially for parents with kids that are just starting this journey. It is another to tell an adult that has been down this road this it will feel like a slap in the face to someone with Autism. Most have tried these things and autism is not always easy to manage. Now to play the other side, if you have autism, can hold down a job, live on your own, drive a car or any one or combination of these I am sure you can work with someone on specific situations to find coping strategies. Before anyone bashes me I know multiple individuals on the Autism spectrum that can and do these things.
Again it is not up to Disney CM's to blatantly tell a caller this whether they asked or not. A better answer would be, Do you have someone that can help you find ways to get through your concerns? Family, friend or doctor?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom