New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Happyday

Now, if my wife no longer qualifies for DAS (wheelchair bound, MS, heat intolerance, chronic pain, Trigeminal Neuralgia, PTSD, legally blind, etc...) and we don't purchase G+/ILL then we will wait longer than those in the standby line for many rides.

This past December we had to wait 15 extra minutes for the wheelchair car at Remy. MMRR was a 20 minute wait for the wheelchair car. 7DMT is always an additional 10 minutes while the CMs get their bearings. Star Tours is 10 minutes extra. TSMM can be 20 minutes or more for the wheelchair car and the elaborate process to secure the chair. RRC is a seperate load area were we wait for the signal to board. JC we have to wait for the wheelchair boat. BTMR and Splash are load through the exit but we do wait to board. These two are the quickest. Pirates, FEA, Navi River are all really difficult as I have to bend down to put her in the boats without dropping her. We don't ride those often. ToT I have to carry her on. She will never do Tron again as it set off a Trigeminal attack. To ride Space Moutain we have to use their wheelchair which I have to push up two large inclines. When we last went the moving floor was broken. That was a workout. She hasn't been on that one since.

All of this is to say, while we got to wait outside of the standby line in the past we did (and will) have to wait longer that the posted times for the wheelchair accomodations. And if as some have suggested more chairs will be in the standby then our wait times.will be increased again. I don't know the answers to fix this problem. All I know is that our Disney trips have gotten that much harder for my family. We purchased DVC because of the accommodations afforded with DAS. Now my wife is very worried and upset that another part of her life could be limited or harmed through no fault of her own.
I totally understand we as well are counted in the extra wait having to wait for accessible ride vehicles. We almost had an issue with the length of wait for TSM that one can get long, sometimes beyond the wait tolerance of our individual and this is one of the rides we have an extended tolerance for. 😝

Splash4eva

I don't know if they used as the only reason but I saw (in this forum) people mention it as one of the consequences of their disability. Whether it was mentioned to a CM when DAS was issued, that I don't know.
So we are making assumptions and judgements and basically calling people out without any knowledge at all… got it again.

Disstevefan1

I was there about a month ago, it seemed there were a lot more people loaded from the DAS / ILL queue than stand-by at any given boarding area.
We were there in Feb and they were already cracking down, my family member no longer qualified after years of qualifying. But then again, it was a random cast member making the call so...

Side note my family members condition is worse now BTW. - Thanks Disney.

Fido Chuckwagon

You are making a ton of assumptions…

And was “heat intolerance” really w valid excuse for DAS?!? Ive never heard anyone that has used it with that disability
This was literally mentioned by another user about two pages back as their reason for DAS in the context of them using it for indoor queues too and blaming Disney IT for not stopping them.

TrainsOfDisney

I was there about a month ago, it seemed there were a lot more people loaded from the DAS / ILL queue than stand-by at any given boarding area.
I’m speaking about attractions without Lightning Lane like Peter Pan and Alice - that’s only DAS or guided tours, maybe 33?

JAN J

We were there in Feb and they were already cracking down, my family member no longer qualified after years of qualifying. But then again, it was a random cast member making the call so...

Side note my family members condition is worse now BTW. - Thanks Disney.
Sorry about your family member.

When I was there my dad normally qualified but on our 1st day the CM did not give it. He even said that it was never meant to help with his disabilities (consequences from spinal and heart surgery). RTQ helped quite a bit but it was still taxing for him.

Few days later on day 2 by noon he was super tired and I asked a different CM if there were any other accomodations they could offer and this time he issued a DAS. In the end we were getting maybe 3 or 4 DAS selections during the day as he has to seat down every to rest every so often, but quick queues absolutely eased the burden.

I don't think there's enough information yet on the new system but hopefully they fine-tune to where it can better address needs and curb abuse.

JAN J

I’m speaking about attractions without Lightning Lane like Peter Pan and Alice - that’s only DAS or guided tours, maybe 33?
Alice I remember having a longer DAS wait one time.

Pan, Snow White and Pinocchio didn't have much of a line even in stand-by were pretty much walk-ins (<10min). But for these DAS was almost inexistent.

Could be that in these cases it was less screaming cause lines weren't as bad, but whenever you had both options (ROTR, ST, RSR i.e.), LL / DAS were going by the bulk, while stand-by was like a trickle..

Disstevefan1

Sorry about your family member.

When I was there my dad normally qualified but on our 1st day the CM did not give it. He even said that it was never meant to help with his disabilities (consequences from spinal and heart surgery). RTQ helped quite a bit but it was still taxing for him.

Few days later on day 2 by noon he was super tired and I asked a different CM if there were any other accomodations they could offer and this time he issued a DAS. In the end we were getting maybe 3 or 4 DAS selections during the day as he has to seat down every to rest every so often, but quick queues absolutely eased the burden.

I don't think there's enough information yet on the new system but hopefully they fine-tune to where it can better address needs and curb abuse.
I am happy to hear some cast members are empowered to accommodate Dad. You represent a legitimate user that makes reasonable use of the system. I fear many like you WILL be denied in the new system.

Angel Ariel

My understanding is that for most G+ attractions, the default Lightning Lane to Standby guest ratio was 4:1, the same as it was for FastPass+.

I believe the average party size is slightly under 3.0, but I haven't checked that in a while. It was slightly higher for out-of-state families than in-state, and 3.0 was close enough and made the math easier.

We're going to re-count LL usage now that it's after May 20, to see if/how these new changes have affected LL use. Will report back next week.
Won't it take a while to see any impact from these changes, since people could request DAS under the old system up through May 19th and have it be valid for 30 days from then?

Purduevian

Someone posted on another board that an autistic person in the process of registering was denied DAS and :

Told to practice waiting in lines
Told to work on coping skills
Told panic attacks and anxiety needs to be managed
Told their autism wasn’t “as severe”
To play devils advocate here... having Autism should not automatically approve a person for DAS as it has a wide spectrum.

The tips do sound condescending though...

lazyboy97o

Now, if my wife no longer qualifies for DAS (wheelchair bound, MS, heat intolerance, chronic pain, Trigeminal Neuralgia, PTSD, legally blind, etc...) and we don't purchase G+/ILL then we will wait longer than those in the standby line for many rides.

This past December we had to wait 15 extra minutes for the wheelchair car at Remy. MMRR was a 20 minute wait for the wheelchair car. 7DMT is always an additional 10 minutes while the CMs get their bearings. Star Tours is 10 minutes extra. TSMM can be 20 minutes or more for the wheelchair car and the elaborate process to secure the chair. RRC is a seperate load area were we wait for the signal to board. JC we have to wait for the wheelchair boat. BTMR and Splash are load through the exit but we do wait to board. These two are the quickest. Pirates, FEA, Navi River are all really difficult as I have to bend down to put her in the boats without dropping her. We don't ride those often. ToT I have to carry her on. She will never do Tron again as it set off a Trigeminal attack. To ride Space Moutain we have to use their wheelchair which I have to push up two large inclines. When we last went the moving floor was broken. That was a workout. She hasn't been on that one since.

All of this is to say, while we got to wait outside of the standby line in the past we did (and will) have to wait longer that the posted times for the wheelchair accomodations. And if as some have suggested more chairs will be in the standby then our wait times.will be increased again. I don't know the answers to fix this problem. All I know is that our Disney trips have gotten that much harder for my family. We purchased DVC because of the accommodations afforded with DAS. Now my wife is very worried and upset that another part of her life could be limited or harmed through no fault of her own.
Great examples of Disney doing the required minimum for physical disabilities while knowing it’s insufficient for their guests.

Angel Ariel

To play devils advocate here... having Autism should not automatically approve a person for DAS as it has a wide spectrum.

The tips do sound condescending though...
Disney has the right to counsel people on what other accommodations Disney provides apart from DAS. Disney does not have the right to advise guests on non-Disney-program suggestions for what an individual should do for their disability.

There is a lot of bias in telling an autistic adult that they need to practice waiting in lines or work on coping skills as they're making assumptions that said individual hasn't been doing those things for years. Asking questions is one thing - making statements based on assumptions is another.

Last edited:

ditzee

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 2.01.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 2.01.12 PM.png
    359 KB · Views: 300

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom