New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Minnie1986

I hate to be the one who keeps having to point to the “Don’t abuse the cast members because you didn’t get your preferred line-avoidance accommodation” sign, but I feel the need to once again point to the “Don’t abuse the cast members because you didn’t get your preferred line-avoidance accommodation” sign. While reasonable people in this thread can disagree on DAS, how it is being rolled out, and the accommodations being given, everyone should agree that abusing the front-line cast member is not the answer.
While I'm not the person who wrote the post you quoted, I think they weren't being literal to the point of meaning that they would abuse a CM.

The more annoying part about that is it doesn't solve the problem which is every other ride the person needs to wait in line for...
maybe dependent on what the need is? I've seen some people mention being denied (even within this thread) for things that are more heat related which become triggers. Given that the majority of queues are indoors, 2 pre-selects at some of the parks to accommodate that would be beneficial and make more sense than say full-scale DAS (thinking Epcot and HS specifically).

ConfettiCupcake

While I'm not the person who wrote the post you quoted, I think they weren't being literal to the point of meaning that they would abuse a CM.

There has been a lot of commentary over the course of this thread both about how Disney should be prepared for CMs to be yelled at and hyperbole (or not) about how people will react when denied things or what will happen if they have to wait in a line.

Certainly we should all be able to agree that touring at Disney has become a more complex experience over the years across the board and while CMs certainly do take the brunt of it it should never be discussed in a manor that makes it sound like a deserved consequence of a decision coming from high up in the company.

ditzee

I hate to be the one who keeps having to point to the “Don’t abuse the cast members because you didn’t get your preferred accommodation” sign, but I feel the need to once again point to the “Don’t abuse the cast members because you didn’t get your preferred accommodation” sign. While reasonable people in this thread can disagree on DAS, how it is being rolled out, and the accommodations being given, everyone should agree that abusing the front-line cast member is not the answer.
It would be about someone who knows nothing about my condition telling me how I should deal with said condition. It would not be about not getting my "preferred accommodation". Really if an ice pack or ecv worked, I'd love it. Would you want someone who has zero medical knowledge telling you how to deal with a physical condition that you've dealt with for decades? It's condescending.

Chi84

Premium Member
It would be about someone who knows nothing about my condition telling me how I should deal with said condition. It would not be about not getting my "preferred accommodation". Really if an ice pack or ecv worked, I'd love it. Would you want someone who has zero medical knowledge telling you how to deal with a physical condition that you've dealt with for decades? It's condescending.
It may seem that way but someone who doesn’t know you is charged with making decisions about an accommodation you are requesting. I don’t really see any alternative than having to explain why the offered suggestion doesn’t work.

Minnie1986

Exactly!

Comped

I also wonder if the doctors they are partnering with have experience with a lot of these conditions that should really qualify but are not autism specific. I know for a fact they don't have experience with my set of conditions, very few doctors do to the level where they could realistically understand why I need DAS to be able to enjoy myself at Disney besides simply walking around and buying popcorn. It is not the fault of the cast members involved, I'm sure none of them want to deny people that are legitimately disabled. Stories in the previously mentioned Reddit thread as well as on Twitter seem to imply that the cast members are mostly very empathetic when they deny someone based on the relatively strict guidelines they've been given so far. I do feel like perhaps giving cast members the decision power here, especially those without proper medical training, is not ideal however I understand why Disney would do this.

Fido Chuckwagon

It is literally in the context of you meeting with someone asking for accommodations based upon you telling them about why you need them, as is required under the ADA. And whether you find it condescending or not, abusing said cast-member would put you squarely in the wrong.

Fido Chuckwagon

Exactly! I don’t want a front line CM telling me what I can and can’t order based on an allergy - I want to speak to a chef who knows how things are prepared and who can offer to prepare things for me.
In your analogy the front-line CM is the chef. You don't go to a restaurant and because you have an allergy demand that the restaurant hire an on-staff allergist who will speak to you.

I've got a nephew with a severe peanut allergy. If we go to a restaurant and the chef tells us that there is no way that they can guarantee no cross-contamination of a dish because of how the food is prepared, we recognize that is not a place where my nephew can eat or that is a dish we cannot order. We don't scream at the chef.

ditzee

I also wonder if the doctors they are partnering with have experience with a lot of these conditions that should really qualify but are not autism specific. I know for a fact they don't have experience with my set of conditions, very few doctors do to the level where they could realistically understand why I need DAS to be able to enjoy myself at Disney besides simply walking around and buying popcorn. It is not the fault of the cast members involved, I'm sure none of them want to deny people that are legitimately disabled. Stories in the previously mentioned Reddit thread as well as on Twitter seem to imply that the cast members are mostly very empathetic when they deny someone based on the relatively strict guidelines they've been given so far. I do feel like perhaps giving cast members the decision power here, especially those without proper medical training, is not ideal however I understand why Disney would do this.
According to the job listing, Inspire Health Alliance is looking for people who are licensed psychologists. How a psychologist can determine needs for those with a physical disability is beyond me. They're not medical doctors.
Saw this for California not sure about Florida

TrainsOfDisney

In your analogy the front-line CM is the chef. You don't go to a restaurant and because you have an allergy demand that the restaurant hire an on-staff allergist who will speak to you.
No, the front line CM is the waiter or QS Cashier. The chef is knowledgeable about allergies, the ingredients, and the options of preparation they can offer.

hopemax

Or they go elsewhere for vacation.
Which is the point people keep missing when calling this a money grab. It’s hard to replace $5K - $10K per family with increased $30 Genie+ purchases, because the family canceled their trip rather than risk the party member with a disability won’t be able to participate in the same way. Pre-Covid, it was easier to think that, if that family left, Disney would find it easy to replace them with another one. Now, that is the billion dollar question.

Which is why, if people find this policy too restrictive to serve their, or their family member’s needs, the more effective path is probably to cancel their trip. Rather that try to deal with various non-decision making, front level CMs. Contact Disney and make it clear; the lack of disability accommodations are the reason for the cancellation. This is also the type of thing that will make its way into travel press, lawsuits, and potentially the main press. The more people with legitimate needs running into issues and sharing their stories, puts Disney under the microscope.

Many people will twist themselves into knots to try and overcome Disney’s barriers to their desired Disney vacation. Usually regarding cost, but I can see people struggling with it here. “If we do X, Y, Z maybe it will work out.” Disney is calling guests’ bluff, that they didn’t really need that level of accommodation, and can keep that money flowing to them. If you do need those accommodations, don’t help them make the case that you don’t.

Have a good cry, research alternative vacations in the short term, call Disney’s bluff that they’ve gone too far and their reputation of ranking well in terms of disability accommodation is at risk as well as their profits. Either Disney will alter course or demonstrate they don’t want a wide variety of people with disabilities as customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom