New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ditzee

I do think that once the lawsuit gets resolved they're going to have to go in the direction of IBCCES. It's going to be the only way to stop that kind of nonsense.
This is what many of us would like to see. Yes, there will be some who still cheat but if they have to pay for a doctor it might end up being a wash with what G+ costs and not worth it to them.
IMO, Uni would be smart to enlarge a kiddie friendly section. That would draw people who were denied DAS at Disney.

Comped

The fact that there are reddit threads (and honestly this thread and others like it) discussing exactly what needs to be said to get DAS is part of the reason that DAS in its current iteration failed.
These were people with legitimate issues noting what qualified based on their own experiences under the new system. Personally I'm happy because it's giving me the odd idea or two about what I really should note about my own conditions, because it's qualified others with a similar or completely different condition. For example, someone with PTSD noted that they had an issue with cramped and dark lines and qualified based off of that, well I do too but for a different reason (vision related), as it's worked for me in the past maybe that's something to bring up.

I tend to see the good in people and take them at their value with these kinds of things.

From an attraction CM, where there is an LL option the “return to line” process will use the LL line to the merge point. Parties either meet there or are held at that point.

The really important thing is to remember to tell the CM at the entrance when you leave the line.

That honestly...sounds reasonable in terms of trying to implement the return to line option

Chi84

Premium Member
This is what many of us would like to see. Yes, there will be some who still cheat but if they have to pay for a doctor it might end up being a wash with what G+ costs and not worth it to them.
IMO, Uni would be smart to enlarge a kiddie friendly section. That would draw people who were denied DAS at Disney.
All that would do is force Universal to eventually become more restrictive. In fact, they are probably looking closely at how this new system works at Disney.

Splash4eva

Thinking about this in terms of a "lines" problem is wrong. It was never about the lines. It was about the capacity, and how much such a small group was using compared to everyone else. Reducing party size and getting rid of pre-books alone likely would not have been enough, at least that's the conclusion Disney came to.
How so? Its legit realistic for a DAS user to ride something 3-4 times in a day without coming close to even using the word abuse… i

Fido Chuckwagon

From an attraction CM, where there is an LL option the “return to line” process will use the LL line to the merge point. Parties either meet there or are held at that point.

The really important thing is to remember to tell the CM at the entrance when you leave the line.
That’s basically exactly what I predicted weeks ago. This makes sense.

Fido Chuckwagon

What about people traveling alone?
I also predicted weeks ago (and it sounds like this is probably how they are leaning) that attractions staff will be empowered, on a case by case basis, to give someone who needs to leave the line and is a solo traveler (or caregiver for the only other person in the line with them) a return time, provided that person has first at least attempted to wait in the standby line before leaving. Will this still be abused? Sure, but it will definitely reduce abuse.

Weirdly enough I'm reading just about as many people who said they had PTSD and were denied as those who do get it. Which doesn't make sense.
In the grand scheme of everything...it should make sense. Not everyone with autism, needs DAS...not everyone with IBS needs DAS, not everyone with PTSD needs DAS. It's all about how that issue manifests itself within a theme park and what the true need is to help you manage the theme park. For some people with those diagnosis, a return to line option or other accommodations, very well may be all they need, versus the full scope of DAS.

Comped

It isn’t diagnosis based.
Just as not everyone with Autism will get it, not everyone with PTSD will get it either.
Even if they have the same issues as a result? I've seen people who have claimed claustrophobia from PTSD get approved and others get denied, as an example. It doesn't seem to be very consistent, which any system really should be. If person A and person B have the same problem with the same resulting issues and symptoms, and A gets approved but B does not, that is a bit of an issue.

Completely different manifestations getting different levels of approval or disapproval make complete sense, but I'm mostly thinking about people who have the exact same manifestations...

Fido Chuckwagon

I think they will likely have to adopt IBCCES and still maintain the stricter standard of “developmental disabilities.” There are just too many people who qualify, even without lying, under the old standard, and it was just eating up too much park capacity. People with other disabilities will need to learn to live with the return to queue accommodation, because it is a reasonable accommodation, and that’s all that is required under the law.

nickys

Premium Member
Even if they have the same issues as a result? I've seen people who have claimed claustrophobia from PTSD get approved and others get denied, as an example. It doesn't seem to be very consistent, which any system really should be. If person A and person B have the same problem with the same resulting issues and symptoms, and A gets approved but B does not, that is a bit of an issue.

Completely different manifestations getting different levels of approval or disapproval make complete sense, but I'm mostly thinking about people who have the exact same manifestations...
You know those people then? And you know they explained their needs in the same way?

Otherwise every single person who says they have PTSD would have to be given it. Back to diagnosis vs needs. And coaching to “get through” the VM. That’s the issue they’re trying to get away from.

Minnie1986

I sympathize with those who have difficult to explain disabilities and reading through this some of this, it is confusing. However, Disney is extended time to figure it out from 60 days to 120 days.
That's very generous.

I have been on two trips in the past 10 years that included people who outright abused the previous disability system. One group had a huge number of people with them and they were skipping every single line. The other group was smaller.

These changes Disney is making are absolutely needed. The previous system was so open to abuse that it wasn't sustainable. And that's why it's gone.

If someone actually has a disability that keeps them from being able to wait in line like everyone else, this new system will help them. Their wait times in line will also be reduced due to abusers not being in line with them.

It's a win for everyone.
I read a post (not here) this morning about someone with a serious physical disability who denied DAS, despite having it in the past. The CM and adviser to the person to either use ice packs, use an ECV, or some other suggestion. None of which would have help the person who previously allowed DAS. What happens to people in the category of having legitimate physical disabilities, but Disney's only response is half baked fixes?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom