New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

TrojanUSC

I am a disabled and use the das pass. So is my husband as he only has one leg. My issue with this is that by ada rules they cant say who has a disablity and who doesnt. They are essentially juging if you really have one or not. Im find with bring documention i always do anyway. I also have a service dog. What bothers me is them tellinf people that their disability matters/ counts or doesnt to get a dsa pass.
I realize that the people lying to get a das pass need to be stopped but those of us who need one shouldnt be punished in the process.
Maybe if they and people who complain about the mobility scooters or das people "cutting in line" had to spend a day in a disabled person's shoes they would shut up and see what its like for disabled people. If they knew what it was like maybe they wouldnt do thinhs to make things harddr for disabled people.

They're not telling you whether you have a disability or not. They're simply trying to provide a reasonable accommodation to you based on your specific needs. Skipping the queues is, more of than than not, not a reasonable accommodation.

Disstevefan1

That is a very sensible suggestion. But I think many of the people who are denied will choose to keep the Disney vacation and just add another Genie+ to the cost (provided they don’t need more than that, such as multiple rides).
It seems to me for folks that previously qualified for DAS and now do not (my family is in that situation) WILL suck it up and buy Genie+. The 5K and 10K vacations will simply cost more.

Paper fast pass and Fastpass+ and the old DAS were good while they lasted.

The party is over, as Tim Tracker says, "Now its time to pay the price"

Is it a money grab? Absolutely.

But hasn't all our WDW vacations always been a money grab in one way or another?

Chi84

Premium Member
It seems to me for folks that previously qualified for DAS and now do not (my family is in that situation) WILL suck it up and buy Genie+. The 5K and 10K vacations will simply cost more.

Paper fast pass and Fastpass+ and the old DAS were good while they lasted.

The party is over, as Tim Tracker says, "Now its time to pay the price"

Is it a money grab? Absolutely.

But hasn't all our WDW vacations always been a money grab in one way or another?
Until the last few years, we perceived the vacations as expensive but not necessarily a money grab. Genie+ changed that perception.

hopemax

That is a very sensible suggestion. But I think many of the people who are denied will choose to keep the Disney vacation and just add another Genie+ to the cost (provided they don’t need more than that, such as multiple rides).
People with legitimate disabilities will understand that going through the normal LL purchasing experience will not be enough to guarantee access. It doesn't for regular folks, rides sell out, and during busier times we hear a lot of stories about how useless Genie+ is, already. On the DIS, someone talked about how given the unpredictability of their family member's condition, spending that money comes with the risk that when their LL window opens they may not be in a condition to actually experience the attraction. That's different than skipping a DAS return time because they needed to leave the park early. It adds up to a lot more risk on a $5K - $10K vacation.

Happyday

These were people with legitimate issues noting what qualified based on their own experiences under the new system. Personally I'm happy because it's giving me the odd idea or two about what I really should note about my own conditions, because it's qualified others with a similar or completely different condition. For example, someone with PTSD noted that they had an issue with cramped and dark lines and qualified based off of that, well I do too but for a different reason (vision related), as it's worked for me in the past maybe that's something to bring up.

I tend to see the good in people and take them at their value with these kinds of things.
I understand however when you give specifics of how it effects you, you are giving others information they don't need because they could use it to abuse the system. This is why I have not and will not give how it effects our individual.

Fido Chuckwagon

Until the last few years, we perceived the vacations as expensive but not necessarily a money grab. Genie+ changed that perception.
Genie+ was a money grab. I still don't think the DAS changes are. The system was on an unsustainable trajectory. Left unchanged, DAS users would have eventually started using up all park capacity defeating the entire system as lightning lanes themselves simply became the new standby lines.

Chi84

Premium Member
People with legitimate disabilities will understand that going through the normal LL purchasing experience will not be enough to guarantee access. It doesn't for regular folks, rides sell out, and during busier times we hear a lot of stories about how useless Genie+ is, already. On the DIS, someone talked about how given the unpredictability of their family member's condition, spending that money comes with the risk that when their LL window opens they may not be in a condition to actually experience the attraction. That's different than skipping a DAS return time because they needed to leave the park early. It adds up to a lot more risk on a $5K - $10K vacation.
This is yet another reason that the kind of line accommodations some people need may be impossible to reconcile with Disney’s business model (which as you pointed out doesn’t even work for non disabled people).

Comped

I understand however when you give specifics of how it effects you, you are giving others information they don't need because they could use it to abuse the system. This is why I have not and will not give how it effects our individual.
I tend to believe that the number of people who will abuse the system using that information is less than the number who would be helped. That's just my personal opinion.

ConfettiCupcake

Genie+ was a money grab. I still don't think the DAS changes are. The system was on an unsustainable trajectory. Left unchanged, DAS users would have eventually started using up all park capacity defeating the entire system as lightning lanes themselves simply became the new standby lines.

I think it’s only a money grab in the sense that it’s a roundabout attempt to make touring for everybody more pleasant (happy guests = money) and make Genie+ a more appealing product across the board to encourage sales of it and increase guest satisfaction when it comes to the purchase of it. And I don’t know that I’d really frame that as a money grab, more like a decision motivated by money.

I don’t think it’s a money grab in the way it has been framed throughout these conversation, that Disney is trying to push former DAS users to buy Genie+.

BalooChicago

My son had DAS and presumably will not in the new system. He’s been to a Disney park 13 of his 15 years (we alternate WDW and DLR - we hit DLP, DLR, and WDW in the last twelve months. We’ve always* gotten Genie+ as well. Wish I knew about these changes before our WDW trip in February, as it was a shorter trip than we’d normally do. Had I known it would be our last trip, I’d have extended it. We will not be back to Disney unless they eventually come back to something that will work for my son.

*when available.

My child was just approved, and we were allowed to have a group that exceeded the four-person limit, due to the group being limited to the recipient, his parents, and his siblings (who are all young children).

The process was very easy, we were not asked followup questions. The CM was helpful, kind, and clearly having a hard day. I was able to clearly articulate what the child's needs are, and he was on camera which made it very clear that what I was saying about his capabilities and disabilities was accurate.

hopemax

I think it’s only a money grab in the sense that it’s a roundabout attempt to make touring for everybody more pleasant (happy guests = money) and make Genie+ a more appealing product across the board to encourage sales of it and increase guest satisfaction when it comes to the purchase of it. And I don’t know that I’d really frame that as a money grab, more like a decision motivated by money.

I don’t think it’s a money grab in the way it has been framed throughout these conversation, that Disney is trying to push former DAS users to buy Genie+.
For the first part, it's also a money grab in that it is revenue / profit positive, and that makes it better than adding new high capacity attractions with significant construction costs and increases daily operational costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom