New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
I read a post (not here) this morning about someone with a serious physical disability who denied DAS, despite having it in the past. The CM and adviser to the person to either use ice packs, use an ECV, or some other suggestion. None of which would have help the person who previously allowed DAS. What happens to people in the category of having legitimate physical disabilities, but Disney's only response is half baked fixes?
Disney is offering suggestions to people who no longer qualify for DAS under the new rules. If they don’t qualify, they will have the same options as everyone else.

Splash4eva

From an attraction CM, where there is an LL option the “return to line” process will use the LL line to the merge point. Parties either meet there or are held at that point.

The really important thing is to remember to tell the CM at the entrance when you leave the line.
But holding someone at a point if the person if not back yet can be viewed as unfair… someone needs to go to leave the line find a bathroom which may not be close and go then come back it could be a 25 minute time frame …

Chi84

Premium Member
But holding someone at a point if the person if not back yet can be viewed as unfair… someone needs to go to leave the line find a bathroom which may not be close and go then come back it could be a 25 minute time frame …
How is this unfair? We do the same amount of waiting when someone in the group needs to find a bathroom prior to entering a line.

Comped

I read a post (not here) this morning about someone with a serious physical disability who denied DAS, despite having it in the past. The CM and adviser to the person to either use ice packs, use an ECV, or some other suggestion. None of which would have help the person who previously allowed DAS. What happens to people in the category of having legitimate physical disabilities, but Disney's only response is half baked fixes?
You and I are reading the same thread - some of the suggestions are either horrifying or hilarious depending on how cynical your outlook on life is.

Not viewing a response as the preferred accommodation to what one wants, doesn't make their suggestion/response unreasonable. This will ultimately be the issue a lot of previous DAS holders will encounter. It's hard to accept something less, even if it can work, when you know something better exists.

ditzee

LOL, I'd get banned from WDW if a CM gave me these options for my physical disability.

Minnie1986

Disney is offering suggestions to people who no longer qualify for DAS under the new rules. If they don’t qualify, they will have the same options as everyone else.
I understand how it works, but it doesn't negate that these peoples experiences have just been made exponentially more difficult. That's the whole point, they are not like "everyone else." I can empathize with the woman I was referring to; if someone were to tell me to "just use an ice pack" for my condition, I would be seriously offended. It's not even remotely that simple.

Minnie1986

Not viewing a response as the preferred accommodation to what one wants, doesn't make their suggestion/response unreasonable. This will ultimately be the issue a lot of previous DAS holders will encounter. It's hard to accept something less, even if it can work, when you know something better exists.
Not disagreeing with you. My point of bringing up the post was that the CM and adviser were quite dismissive as she was explaining why she would need the DAS (hard for me to give more detailed examples without simply copying and pasting the person's post).

ConfettiCupcake

As suspected, they seem to be making a distinction between people whose needs require an outside the queue wait every time, and people who can make do with other accommodations even if it’s less ideal.

They didn’t seem to be going after ‘liars’ with the rumored changes, and now that the changes are a little more clear that seems to be confirmed. Suggestions that they should move to a system that requires proof of disability doesn’t seem to align with what they’re doing here. They appear to be going for less legitimate use of DAS like accommodations.

Chi84

Premium Member
I understand how it works, but it doesn't negate that these peoples experiences have just been made exponentially more difficult. That's the whole point, they are not like "everyone else." I can empathize with the woman I was referring to; if someone were to tell me to "just use an ice pack" for my condition, I would seriously offended. It's not even remotely that simple.
There’s no question that this limitation on DAS is going to adversely affect people with physical disabilities who previously qualified for it. It’s being done because the number of people who previously qualified are overwhelming the system and because the prior system was leading to too much abuse.

Comped

I understand how it works, but it doesn't negate that these peoples experiences have just been made exponentially more difficult. That's the whole point, they are not like "everyone else." I can empathize with the woman I was referring to; if someone were to tell me to "just use an ice pack" for my condition, I would seriously offended. It's not even remotely that simple.
The funniest thing is I know they are going to suggest that I use a wheelchair or ecv, which would be great if I could actually see well enough to use one... Which ironically makes it easier for me to process denial mentally because I've already figured out what they're going to say haha.

Fido Chuckwagon

LOL, I'd get banned from WDW if a CM gave me these options for my physical disability.
I hate to be the one who keeps having to point to the “Don’t abuse the cast members because you didn’t get your preferred accommodation” sign, but I feel the need to once again point to the “Don’t abuse the cast members because you didn’t get your preferred accommodation” sign. While reasonable people in this thread can disagree on DAS, how it is being rolled out, and the accommodations being given, everyone should agree that abusing the front-line cast member is not the answer.

Minnie1986

There’s no question that this limitation on DAS is going to adversely affect people with physical disabilities who previously qualified for it. It’s being done because the number of people who previously qualified are overwhelming the system and because the prior system was leading to too much abuse.
Don't get me wrong, the previously system was being massive abused. I can remember during my last trip overhearing a woman bragging to someone else about how she "made something up about her kid" and was able to get it; it's disgusting. It's just unfortunate that some people who truly benefited from DAS will now be caught in the crossfire while this all gets ironed out.

nickys

Premium Member
The accommodation is primarily for the person who needs it, ie who needs to leave the line.
In that scenario I guess the rest of the family have the option to ride without them or wait.
That probably sounds harsh, it isn’t meant to be. It’s just the same dilemma lots of people already face. What would “you” do if your youngest felt sick? Would you all leave or would one parent ride with the other kid?

I’m just passing on info. I don’t want to engage in endless circles of “what ifs”. Been there, done that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom