New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Disstevefan1

Altho Disney is and will be the underlying factor at fault here it still gives NO guest the right to break rules berate another CM and start fights with others. Im sorry there is no justifying it. Again we know the rules now and if you cant go because of it. It will stink but its a choice people need to make. Its just a terrible position Disney is putting people in
Agreed. I think we can agree Disney is "setting up conditions" whereby folks will break rules, start fights, and get trespassed during their WDW vacation.

Disney security is going to be busy...

DoTheImpossible

There is no doubt that there was widespread and rampant abuse of the many iterations of the GAC/DAS system over the years. Most would agree that a change was necessary to limit abuse. However, there were likely more narrowly tailored options to weed out "abusers" if that was the true intent. Such as third-party health care authentication.

Instead, Disney opted to drastically limit the scope of the program to reduce those who could even be considered to qualify - in order to drastically reduce the number of DAS users. This was done under the guise of trying to alleviate line congestion because of the acknowledged abuse.

Let's be honest about a few things here: 1) Any system of skipping a line, whether it be a guest accommodation (GAC/DAS), free guest option (Fastpass/Fastpass+), or paid guest option (Genie+/ILL), will likely have a negative impact on overall ride wait time; and 2) Disney did not care to make this drastic a change to DAS until they changed from a free Fastpass/Fastpass+ system - to a paid Genie+/ILL system.

The change is not about guest experience, it's about money. Just like the change to a paid Genie+/ILL system was not about guest experience, it was about money.

The same people will still be standing in the same lines - filling the same amount of space - but Disney will get the Genie+/ILL sale.

Part of the problem with that is likely that heat intolerance would open them up to a huge amount of abusers.
Part of the problem with that is likely that heat intolerance would open them up to a huge amount of abusers.
I agree. I have to question people going to Florida if you have 'heat intolerance'. These are the sort of requests that have probably ruined it for others who truly meet for DAS (children and young people with Autism).

Purduevian

2) Disney did not care to make this drastic a change to DAS until they changed from a free Fastpass/Fastpass+ system - to a paid Genie+/ILL system.
I find it hard to point that G+ and ILL is the cause of this since that system is now 944 days old. I truly believe that DAS in its previous state was on the verge of breaking some rides line systems completely (rumor is this HAD to launch before TBA).

Fido Chuckwagon

Well, it's official... I was just denied my DAS. I am a Cast Member and Disney has proof of my disabilities, and they provide me accommodation while I work, but apparently the new system is so restrictive that I do not qualify for accommodations while I come in on my days off. I have POTS, Hashimoto's, a very severe skin condition, and

I am not high support needs. I generally only melt down when my other conditions are agitated, or people touch me, and then I lose my ability to cope. They determined that I can wait in line or that I can utilize the "return to queue" feature. This doesn't help with my heat intolerance at all.
Could it have something to do with the nature of the work you do for WDW? Do you work indoors/outdoors? These could be data points to see if they're using that information when CM's try to qualify.

Edit: I see you already answered this.

sylasink

In the Parks
Yes
I agree. I have to question people going to Florida if you have 'heat intolerance'. These are the sort of requests that have probably ruined it for others who truly meet for DAS (children and young people with Autism).
I agree, as someone with a heat intolerance. I try to limit my "fun" visits during the hot season to only when I'm bringing a visitor in with me on a guest pass or have a special event planned, like an attraction preview or a Halloween Party ticket. Otherwise, most of my visits are October-April. But I'm going to be in the parks regardless because I live and work here, and I tolerate the cold even less. I came from the North, and the cold and snow caused such severe pain and inflammation that I needed a walker. I struggle in the heat, but as long as I drink water, stay in the shade, and have a fan and cooling towel, I am typically fine. I cannot do anything to prevent the things the cold weather does to my body.

Splash4eva

Thats not really what caused this issue. 8% of guests across 4 parks is not a a big number. Disney allowing larger parties and pre booked was a disaster. Re rides as ive said is a problem i dk how you resolve

Liquid Ice

This article is from 2019, but I suspect this is how Attraction queue re-entry will work for most rides: https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/disneyland-new-star-wars-ride-long-lines-bathroom-pass

To summarize, you will ask to leave the line and be given something (a lanyard maybe) for queue re-entry. When you return, you will enter via the Lightning Lane queue (not all rides have this, so in some cases it maybe through the exit) and then you will wait for the rest of your party at the merge point. If your party arrives at the merge point before you, they will wait for you instead of the other way around.

There are still issues with the above such as what happens if your party is only 1 person. What happens if you take longer than expected due to a medical issue (I assume you'd text your party and tell them to go without you). What happens if there are so many people using this option that the merge point is flooded with people waiting for their party?

I had hoped Disney would have a better explanation by now, but it sounds like you just have to ask at each ride and hope the CMs have figured it out by now.

sylasink

In the Parks
Yes
Could it have something to do with the nature of the work you do for WDW? Do you work indoors/outdoors? These could be data points to see if they're using that information when CM's try to qualify.
I do work outdoors, but in the shade, with fans blowing directly on me, and I get breaks every 2 hours, which is the most frequent allowance. I can also ask for informal breaks if medically necessary.

Disstevefan1

I find it hard to point that G+ and ILL is the cause of this since that system is now 944 days old. I truly believe that DAS in its previous state was on the verge of breaking some rides line systems completely (rumor is this HAD to launch before TBA).
I think G+ and ILL was a huge factor that led to more abuse to the DAS system.

The previously free Fastpass+ system was put behind a paywall.

Everyone hated that and some wanted it to still be free.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I guarantee there will be incidents in queues either by previously approved DAS users attempting to use the queue and/or due to this unsupportable/ridiculous return to line thing.
Because of the entitlement mentality that pervades society these days, the lack of common sense, lack of decency, lack of morals, playing the victim card... Which one is the problem? There's more than one answer.

Comped

I'm guessing my qualifying issue (cerebral palsy) won't be covered, but I have yet to hear of anyone else with it trying to get DAS under the new system. There's at least one person on Reddit who is going to try to get it for similar vision issues to me, which is how I always usually justified getting DAS, so if they're successful that might be an easier route...

Ayla

Thats not really what caused this issue. 8% of guests across 4 parks is not a a big number. Disney allowing larger parties and pre booked was a disaster. Re rides as ive said is a problem i dk how you resolve
The problem was a small minority of guests were using a majority of the Lightning Lane access. That was the problem, as has been explained ad nauseum.

Purduevian

I think G+ and ILL was a huge factor that led to more abuse to the DAS system.

The previously free Fastpass+ system was put behind a paywall.

Everyone hated that and some wanted it to still be free.
Ok I'll give you that G+/ILL may have caused an uptick in DAS usage through the 944 days which then caused the need for a DAS change. However, I really don't think its as simple as G+/ILL caused DAS changes, I think it's more of an indirect relationship.

I am curious as I'm doing a thought experiment, for those that used DAS under the previous process, did the DAS system know how large your party was or did just the DAS user tap in and the rest of their party went with you? Or did everyone have to tap in?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom