New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

DisneyHead123

This type of accommodation is different from most. In most cases, non-disabled guests are not paying extra for the accommodation given to a disabled guest. Systems that allow a person to avoid standing in a physical line have quite a bit of value. I can see why Disney wants to limit DAS to people whose disability by its very nature prevents them from standing in line.
To the bolded - I feel like that’s an issue of Disney’s creation and it’s up to them to solve it. I don’t think they can say “We decided to monetize this random thing, ergo it would be detrimental to our business model to give it away for free.” That’s like saying they don’t have to provide handicapped parking because they decided to charge for Premium Parking Spaces, therefore handicapped spots eat into their revenue. No one made them monetize line times. If they decide to do that, ok - see what the market will bear I guess. But they can’t self-create an excuse not to provide accommodations.

I don’t know what courts may have to say about the need for line accommodations and what implications such rulings could have in settings other than theme parks.

I have a feeling we’ll find out relatively soon. My guess is that Disney figures the cost of the likely upcoming lawsuits are less than the potential loss of profit from curbing Genie+.

ditzee

Guess we'll see how other disabilities are dealt with over the coming days.

Disney's new verbiage on the DAS page:

What to Know About DAS
  • DAS is intended to accommodate only those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar disorder, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.
  • DAS doesn’t provide immediate access to experiences, but rather allows Guests to request a return time for a specific experience that is comparable to the current standby wait.
  • The Guest for which DAS is being requested must be present during registration and must experience the attraction when redeeming a DAS return time at Walt Disney World theme parks.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's how Disney describes the new Attraction Queue Re-Entry process:

Attraction Queue Re-Entry
There may be times when a Guest must briefly step out of the standby line and then rejoin their party in the line. Every location has a defined process to support this option based on a person’s disability while the rest of the party remains in line.

How to Use Queue Re-entry
Speak to a Cast member at the location for directions on how to re-enter the queue.
  1. A Cast Member will provide details about how to exit the queue and how to navigate back to your party.
  2. While the Guest who must leave the line is briefly away, the rest of the party will remain in line.
  3. The Guest reunites with their party to ride the attraction.
Note: Guests must meet boarding requirements to ride.

Fido Chuckwagon

There may be times when a Guest must briefly step out of the standby line and then rejoin their party in the line. Every location has a defined process to support this option based on a person’s disability while the rest of the party remains in line.

Speak to a Cast member at the location for directions on how to re-enter the queue.
  1. A Cast Member will provide details about how to exit the queue and how to navigate back to your party.
  2. While the Guest who must leave the line is briefly away, the rest of the party will remain in line.

I think Disney is handling this very well. Leaving it intentionally somewhat vague will help deter abuse. It is also almost certainly the case that different lines/queues will require different things based on the setup of the queue. I still think using the lightning lane and/or merge points to wait for the rest of your party will be used in some circumstances.

nickys

Premium Member
It’s also updated the Rider Switch criteria to include
  • Meets boarding requirement and does not want to ride but cannot wait outside queue on their own
However it still leaves unanswered what happens when the person who needs to leave the line is solo, needs assistance from another guest (potentially meaning the whole party needs to leave) or is in an ECV / wheelchair.

Fido Chuckwagon

It’s also updated the Rider Switch criteria to include
  • Meets boarding requirement and does not want to ride but cannot wait outside queue on their own
However it still leaves unanswered what happens when the person who needs to leave the line is solo, needs assistance from another guest (potentially meaning the whole party needs to leave) or is in an ECV / wheelchair.
They concern about the inability of someone in an ECV or wheelchair to exit a line is likely overblown. There are plenty of people in ECV’s who do not use DAS and emergencies unfortunately happen all the time. If you need to get out of a line (that can accommodate an ECV) you can. If the line can’t accommodate an ECV then you’ve necessarily already transferred into a wheelchair in which case you also can get out of the line if you have to.

Last edited:

Splash4eva

What about planes? Would it bother you if because of your disability, your accommodation requires you to upgrade to Business Class or First Class or a hotel said you have to pay more money in order to have an accessible bathroom?
Again. Im on th side where Disney is wrong here so… all im saying is if someone is unaware of Genie (dk how that can be possible) and when Disney informs them of the return to line queue new feature and also told them about the Genie service its not a legal nightmare. Noone is forcing them to buy it. What about guests now that were denied DAS and are offers Genie… again i think Disney botched this totally but informing a guest of options is not a legal issue. Denying someone DAS access due to legit concerns is still to me the biggest problem assuming they dont deliver on their promises of accommodating.

Splash4eva

What does one do when they are traveling alone with their minor child?

nickys

Premium Member
Talk to a cast member at the attraction entrance and ask.
I agree.

But the first thing to do is the virtual call where you explain not only what your issues are but also the circumstances of your travel party. In some cases the CM may decide that DAS is the right accommodation for that guest, even though they do not fall into the advertised category.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom