New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

Then even more will have to be done. Disney wants people back in lines or paying to avoid them. With an aging population and expanding categories of disabilities, the system may not be able to handle DAS like accommodations even absent any abuse.
But again. The numbers are Not bad. 8% of guests are getting DAS which to me is Not alot imo of which All are not lying. So say 2% is lying again not a high number. The issues lies with this…
Party size. They are addressing this (total of 4 now) i can argue to reduce that to say 2 and then make a case by case basis for families and that eliminates groups of adults…
Pre bookings handing everyone 2 extra rides is NOT needed again they are addressing that as well.
Elephant in room are re rides. Not sure how you handle that
Genie+. No way they are going to tell people willing to pay they cant. So how to handle that again is a tough one. Tough to say you cant hold 2 at once but maybe find a middle ground. I really dont know but to me re rides are an issue…

TrainsOfDisney

But again. The numbers are Not bad. 8% of guests are getting DAS which to me is Not alot imo of which All are not lying. So say 2% is lying again not a high number.
This mirrors my thoughts as well. There is also a range of guests in that 8% - it’s not like a guest either 100% needs DAS or is lying, there are lots of in between where guests are slightly or greatly exaggerating an issue in order to get the DAS.

I’m sure there is a huge range for Handicap parking permits as well.

I’m not entirely convinced the problem couldn’t have been solved with just reducing the party size and having trained CM’s who specifically evaluate each guest.

Comped

I’m sure there is a huge range for Handicap parking permits as well.
There absolutely is - but it's often dependent on the state. Some require a bit more paperwork and documentation for proof you actually need it. Others, not so much. (Usually correlates with if they have more handicapped spaces required in local building codes than elsewhere.)

ditzee

There absolutely is - but it's often dependent on the state. Some require a bit more paperwork and documentation for proof you actually need it. Others, not so much. (Usually correlates with if they have more handicapped spaces required in local building codes than elsewhere.)
It can also vary by the business issuing the permits. There are a couple in our town right across the street from each other. Went to the first one and she said I needed a note from my doctor. I told her it was already in the system. She was rude, we left. Went across the street, the woman looked up my info, bam, license plate, and id were issued. We talked and I was telling her about our upcoming Disney vacation . She gave me an extra hang tag for our rental car.
NOTE: In our state, you must have your disability/handicap ID in order to park in a handicapped spot regardless of hang tag or license plate. IMO, that's a good thing.

MickeyLuv'r

This mirrors my thoughts as well. There is also a range of guests in that 8% - it’s not like a guest either 100% needs DAS or is lying, there are lots of in between where guests are slightly or greatly exaggerating an issue in order to get the DAS.
I'd venture there are myriad situations where someone is 100% telling the truth, but their needs also fall in-between. As has been pointed out, they might be able to tolerate some queues, but have a harder time tolerating others.

Part of the problem is that WDW standby waits have become rather extreme.

Looking at HS today: Alien SS current wait is 25 min, Meet Disney Stars 40, Olaf 15, MMRR 55, MF Smuggler's Run 40, Muppets 10, Slinky 70, ST 10, Meet Chewbacca 20, Rise 75, TSM 55, ToT 40. (green = under 30min, red = 30+min)

There was a long period of time where guests could ride most attractions using a combo of rope drop/FP-/FP+/late hours and not wait more than 25minutes for any attraction, even the newest attractions.

Heck, there was a time when MK had E-ride nights for just $10, and guests didn't need to buy it in advance. If you felt up for going, you bought it that day, and it was just $10.

I suspect there are a number of folks who could manage 20minute waits with breaks, and/or maybe sitting out one/two of the extreme rides in each park, but they cannot easily cope with repeated 40+ minute waits all day.

Inflated wait times are another big problem.

Disney is largely to blame. They eliminated park benches, shortened park hours, post wildly inflated wait times, and now charge $25 for ILL's. Altogether those changes make park touring more difficult. It isn't at all surprising that a greater % of the population has trouble coping with those changes.

Sallie

I just read a Facebook post by someone who claimed their husband was some kind of manager. Only people with autism and neurodivergant conditions will be approved. Her words not mine. So genie + will definitely sell out. So to me that really isn’t going to make LL much shorter. I hope they come up with a system that’s fair and the people who need accommodations get them. My honest opinion is that genie+ is the problem. It’s a money grab. Stand by lines at crazy because everyone wants the genie+ and they prioritize that line.

ditzee

I just read a Facebook post by someone who claimed their husband was some kind of manager. Only people with autism and neurodivergant conditions will be approved. Her words not mine. So genie + will definitely sell out. So to me that really isn’t going to make LL much shorter. I hope they come up with a system that’s fair and the people who need accommodations get them. My honest opinion is that genie+ is the problem. It’s a money grab. Stand by lines at crazy because everyone wants the genie+ and they prioritize that line.
Maybe Disney will offer DAS as we know it now only for the neurodivergent BUT they will have to offer accommodations of some kind for other disabilities. IMO, whatever Disney decides, those interested will be back here in a few yrs. with the same discussion because cheaters will cheat and those who need accommodations will pay the price.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'd venture there are myriad situations where someone is 100% telling the truth, but their needs also fall in-between. As has been pointed out, they might be able to tolerate some queues, but have a harder time tolerating others.

Part of the problem is that WDW standby waits have become rather extreme.

Looking at HS today: Alien SS current wait is 25 min, Meet Disney Stars 40, Olaf 15, MMRR 55, MF Smuggler's Run 40, Muppets 10, Slinky 70, ST 10, Meet Chewbacca 20, Rise 75, TSM 55, ToT 40. (green = under 30min, red = 30+min)

There was a long period of time where guests could ride most attractions using a combo of rope drop/FP-/FP+/late hours and not wait more than 25minutes for any attraction, even the newest attractions.

Heck, there was a time when MK had E-ride nights for just $10, and guests didn't need to buy it in advance. If you felt up for going, you bought it that day, and it was just $10.

I suspect there are a number of folks who could manage 20minute waits with breaks, and/or maybe sitting out one/two of the extreme rides in each park, but they cannot easily cope with repeated 40+ minute waits all day.

Inflated wait times are another big problem.

Disney is largely to blame. They eliminated park benches, shortened park hours, post wildly inflated wait times, and now charge $25 for ILL's. Altogether those changes make park touring more difficult. It isn't at all surprising that a greater % of the population has trouble coping with those changes.
I’m not disabled - just old with a hip replacement and some other age related issues. There’s no way I could cope with the lines these days. If Genie+/ILLs weren’t available we wouldn’t visit WDW.

I sincerely hope other elderly people like me aren’t convincing Disney they need DAS instead of opening their wallets and paying for Genie+ because that would annoy me to no end.

I have no idea how Disney is going to differentiate between the two. I suspect they’ve decided not to try.

Sallie

Maybe Disney will offer DAS as we know it now only for the neurodivergent BUT they will have to offer accommodations of some kind for other disabilities. IMO, whatever Disney decides, those interested will be back here in a few yrs. with the same discussion because cheaters will cheat and those who need accommodations will pay the price.
I agree with you!

Splash4eva

Said it was a money grab from day 1 this is going to solve zero for any problems they have from a guest pov

ditzee

Said it was a money grab from day 1 this is going to solve zero for any problems they have from a guest pov
Taking notes about calls, time, CM name, etc., is always a good idea no matter the business. If a CM suggests Genie+ that's a no no as guests cannot be asked to pay for accommodations.

Chi84

Premium Member
Someone on a different site posted that a CM suggested Genie+ if she didn't get DAS in the future. That's a no no suggestion according the the ADA.
What part of the ADA are you citing? Telling someone they don’t qualify for a Disney program not mandated by the ADA just means they don’t qualify. If they don’t qualify for the program, there is nothing stopping them from buying Genie+.

Patcheslee

Someone on a different site posted that a CM suggested Genie+ if she didn't get DAS in the future. That's a no no suggestion according the the ADA.
I know the website show Disney Genie as an option. Maybe CM misspoke and added the +, or was misheard as saying +.

Chi84

Premium Member
I know the website show Disney Genie as an option. Maybe CM misspoke and added the +, or was misheard as saying +.
DAS was previously extended to people with disabilities other than autism or similar. Now Disney is no longer extending the program to those people.

It seems there will be quite a few people who will opt for Genie+ now rather then deal with whatever accommodation short of DAS that Disney will provide to them, whether it’s rider switch, return to line etc.

DisneyHead123

What part of the ADA are you citing? Telling someone they don’t qualify for a Disney program not mandated by the ADA just means they don’t qualify. If they don’t qualify for the program, there is nothing stopping them from buying Genie+.
My understanding is, it might not currently be covered under ADA policy but that’s only because of lack of precedent.

I think that at a minimum Disney would want to be very very careful about mentioning any kind of paid product because if it’s mentioned as necessary for the person, Disney could potentially be required to provide it for free. Or worse, accused of directing people who need accommodations to use their paid product in place of Disney providing accommodations.

It’s unsettled territory but it may well end up in court and I can’t imagine Disney isn’t keenly aware of that.

DisneyHead123

What is wrong with a CM suggesting buying Genie+ if they are no longer qualified for DAS?
If there’s an implication that they’re saying Genie+ is a needed accommodation, it would look bad in court. They could be accused of telling a disabled person to pay for needed accommodations, which is illegal.

Genie+ is supposed to be for convenience and fun. I assume Disney’s legal team wants CMs to stay far far away from mentioning it as a way to manage a disability at the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom