New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They’re doing way more on busy days. For a year or more it was that on average most days.
They were doing a lot…no way to know what they’re don’t now?

I could see a lot in magic kingdom…some in mgm…few in Epcot and DAK.

Epcot and Dak would be the most interesting though
This would imply they are netting something like 125 million dollars a year on VIP tours.
I wouldn’t put it past them
Dude…you’re still not special for buying dvc…

TrojanUSC

They were doing a lot…no way to know what they’re don’t now?

I could see a lot in magic kingdom…some in mgm…few in Epcot and DAK.

Epcot and Dak would be the most interesting though

I wouldn’t put it past them

Dude…you’re still not special for buying dvc…

While tours still sell out on busy weekends, I just think they've priced themselves too high and with DAS/G+ available demand has tapered from the post-COVID highs.

Also doesn't help that they force tours (except celebrities and Disney execs) to use the Lightning Lane for some reason. Imagine paying $900/hour and having to stand in a backed up Lightning Lane for 30 mins. Universal just gets you on the rides right away, which is what Disney should do.

The tour is a 7 hour minimum and the guide comes with a van to drive you backstage from park to park. So yes, while I think the majority of tours still spend the majority of their time MK, the guides can drive you backstage and park right behind Flight of Passage or Guardians, so park hopping is incredibly common with tours.

RamblinWreck

Guests with DAS still have to wait. Maybe not in a physical queue, but they are still committing time to getting on an attraction. They are still limited to the number of attractions they can get in a day.

The only way anyone with DAS has any advantage over someone in Standby is if they, with an assigned return time, jump into a standby queue for an attraction with a shorter wait time. The scenarios where that makes sense, and the number of people with that opportunity and desire to use it, is probably extremely small.
Every single DAS user has an advantage over every single standby rider every single time.

It’s honestly just silly to pretend otherwise.

No, they are not waiting like everyone else. If a ride has a 3 hour standby time, they only have to commit to standing in line for 10 minutes. From an opportunity cost standpoint, the only thing they are sacrificing is the ability to skip other lines for the next few hours. A standby rider has to actually stand in line for 3 hours.

It shouldn’t be hard to understand from a behavioral psychology standpoint how this increases standby times. Anyone who has access to a skip the line feature, be it ILL or Genie+ or DAS, does not have to commit serious time in order to ride an e-ticket attraction. They give something else up. A little money, the ability to book another pass for another ride. But not time. None of them are waiting.

SingleRider

Every single DAS user has an advantage over every single standby rider every single time.

It’s honestly just silly to pretend otherwise.

No, they are not waiting like everyone else. If a ride has a 3 hour standby time, they only have to commit to standing in line for 10 minutes. From an opportunity cost standpoint, the only thing they are sacrificing is the ability to skip other lines for the next few hours. A standby rider has to actually stand in line for 3 hours.

It shouldn’t be hard to understand from a behavioral psychology standpoint how this increases standby times. Anyone who has access to a skip the line feature, be it ILL or Genie+ or DAS, does not have to commit serious time in order to ride an e-ticket attraction. They give something else up. A little money, the ability to book another pass for another ride. But not time. None of them are waiting.
This. At EPCOT you can enjoy festival booths while waiting for a DAS return time. At MK you can watch a parade while waiting. Not equal to standing in line at all.

RamblinWreck

Hell…you can go tiffins and then booze for hours at nomad lounge…then walk on flight of passage…

…you know…cause your diabetes makes lines impossible 🙄
LOL

I don’t want to disparage anyone’s disabilities.

But the reality warping that it takes to view using DAS to an average standby patron is just crazy.

The number one thing that will dissuade someone from entering an attraction is the amount of time he has to stand in line.

DAS eliminates that obstacle. You can enjoy any attraction you want without contending with the number one obstacle for everyone.

Maybe it’s a bigger obstacle for you than most, but it’s still the number one obstacle for everyone.

The mathematical reality is that for every attraction there’s a subset of people who do badly want to ride it that they will wait whatever line there is, another subset with a balking limit of 2 hours, 1.5 hours, 1 hour, 45 minutes, 30 minutes, 15 minutes.

DAS takes all of these people who get to use it and tells them no matter how long the line is, you only have to commit to 15 minutes max, but probably less than 10.

So a large portion of that ride’s capacity is occupied by people who would balk at a number even approaching 2 hours. But a standby guest has no choice. Either miss out, or stand in that line.

Everything shifts up.

SingleRider

While tours still sell out on busy weekends, I just think they've priced themselves too high and with DAS/G+ available demand has tapered from the post-COVID highs.

Also doesn't help that they force tours (except celebrities and Disney execs) to use the Lightning Lane for some reason. Imagine paying $900/hour and having to stand in a backed up Lightning Lane for 30 mins. Universal just gets you on the rides right away, which is what Disney should do.

The tour is a 7 hour minimum and the guide comes with a van to drive you backstage from park to park. So yes, while I think the majority of tours still spend the majority of their time MK, the guides can drive you backstage and park right behind Flight of Passage or Guardians, so park hopping is incredibly common with tours.
Sometimes they skip LLs. I have seen it happen at Soarin.

RamblinWreck

This is a fantastic video about fast passes that is exceptionally long, but I loved it.

It’s a bit of a depressing look at how an idea from a guy with good intentions can be so horribly twisted by the penny pinchers.

But it should also really illuminate how and why the DAS can cause serious issues when it’s overused.

el_super

Yes, I'm sure Len Testa is just lying. Go ahead and roll with that.

Did he provide the numbers on how many abusers there are? I never saw that. I wonder how he figured that out.

It’s their business. When they were sued for going from GAC to DAS they were able to provide ample evidence of abuse. Read the decision.

By what measure? The kind of abuse we are referring to here: double dipping attractions wasn't really possible with GAC before, so how would they have tracked that?

Or did you somehow skip back to thinking the widespread abuse is really just some nebulous concept of people who would otherwise not need DAS using it to get an advantage on another group? That weird nebulous concept fueling all these justice fantasies? The group that Disney finally stamped out when they went from GAC to DAS?

Disney is not keeping any medical data on their guests. They are not consulting with doctors each time someone requests assistance. Disney doesn't know how many people requesting DAS really need it versus other accomodations.

el_super

Every single DAS user has an advantage over every single standby rider every single time..

Do you assume that everyone issued a DAS is lying and running from ride to ride or show to show while waiting for their assigned return times? Or do you think that some portion of them are actually telling the truth and maybe trying to stay out of the crowds and not running around the park?

TrojanUSC

Sometimes they skip LLs. I have seen it happen at Soarin.

There's a very small handful of attractions that have an "alternate" access route - Soarin' is one of them. It's not something the guide has discretion on (which they should) if the line is really backed up or something.

Splash4eva

Guests with DAS still have to wait. Maybe not in a physical queue, but they are still committing time to getting on an attraction. They are still limited to the number of attractions they can get in a day.

The only way anyone with DAS has any advantage over someone in Standby is if they, with an assigned return time, jump into a standby queue for an attraction with a shorter wait time. The scenarios where that makes sense, and the number of people with that opportunity and desire to use it, is probably extremely small.
I have DAS & you are incorrect here. For starters there are always attractions/rides you can do in between as you said that can be done in between wait times also while you are having lunch/snacks/dinner you have another ride booked so when finished you have a ride ready. Finally if you get genie now you have those rides as well waiting. Lets not even discuss the pre books they gave us…

phillip9698

Based on what? Based on what evidence? How many people are abusing it? How would you know? How would anyone know? It's all just bunk.

When there are entire businesses centered around DAS access and websites/influencers giving tutorials on how to “do Disney the smart way” it’s not hard to come to the conclusion that the system is being abused. That’s without taking a look at the data Disney has and some insiders here have shared.

Fido Chuckwagon

Guests with DAS still have to wait
Not really though. Right now, a DAS user taps into, let’s say ROTR, and immediately can grab another ride. Let’s say MMRR has a 60 minute queue at that point. Right off the top the DAS user is getting around 10 minutes chopped off that wait. The DAS user still needs to wait in the ROTR LL queu, make their way through the pre-shows, and ride the actual ride. Let’s call that process 25 minutes. The DAS user then needs to make their way over to MMRR, maybe they stop for the bathroom on the way over. By the time they get to MMRR their DAS is ready to go.

Years ago I got a bonus 6 anytime fast passes for recovery due to a fairly significant hotel screwup. In a day at the magic kingdom with my family of four including two young children, even with basically unlimited fastpasses, I could not do more than 1 ride every 50 minutes or so. The DAS users are not “waiting” in any kind of real sense for the vast majority of rides under the current system. This is why it needed to change. Even tiny changes like adding a 10 minute cooldown between tapping into a ride and booking the next one are positive steps.

Fido Chuckwagon

Based on what? Based on what evidence? How many people are abusing it? How would you know? How would anyone know? It's all just bunk.
I mean, I get that there are people in this thread who really don’t want DAS to change, but this is just burying your head in the sand. There have been repeated posts from trusted members such as Len Testa and other insiders that have led to the conclusion that a very small amount (around 8 percent) of guests are hoovering up a very large (as high as 71 percent) percentage of ride capacity. It is not all just “bunk.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom