New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

We will have to agree to disagree. Just because you qualify for an accomodation, doesn’t mean you should poweruse it to avoid all waiting to the extent that you are skipping waits you would otherwise be able to do. Part of the problem here is that even if nobody is lying about their disabilities to get DAS, it is being used in such a way that it is sucking up a huge amount of overall ride capacity. It was never designed to do this, it was designed to allow guests with a disability to have the equivalent experience of a guest without, not to have a superior one. This is “soft abuse.” You’re right, it doesn’t technically violate any rules, but it’s absolutely what destroyed the system and forced Disney to change.
So what do you suggest people to do? Just sit around and do nothing. Im sorry people watching is not fun if you ask me. When we eat should i not book something and wait until dinner and lunch is over? Or even breakfast when i eat in the other 3 parks? Come on now. We know noone would do that. Heck its even encouraged when the system went live and explained. You want to debate about holding both a DAS and Genie we can have that convo but imo no way is Disney risking losing out on any money from Genie for anyone willing to pay for it.

lazyboy97o

It’s their business. When they were sued for going from GAC to DAS they were able to provide ample evidence of abuse. Read the decision.
They pointed to how the generous accommodation was being abused. They did not point specifically to who was abusing the accommodation. Disney’s approach for some time now has been to try and limit access to accommodations.

When there are entire businesses centered around DAS access and websites/influencers giving tutorials on how to “do Disney the smart way” it’s not hard to come to the conclusion that the system is being abused. That’s without taking a look at the data Disney has and some insiders here have shared.
Knowing abuse is happening is not the same as knowing who is abusing the system.

Happyday

What I would like to know, before I hop on this DAS must be severely restricted bandwagon, is some typical numbers for non- DAS non- LL users. Like how many rides does a typical standby user get to ride each day.

Every single DAS user has an advantage over every single standby rider every single time.

It’s honestly just silly to pretend otherwise.

No, they are not waiting like everyone else. If a ride has a 3 hour standby time, they only have to commit to standing in line for 10 minutes. From an opportunity cost standpoint, the only thing they are sacrificing is the ability to skip other lines for the next few hours. A standby rider has to actually stand in line for 3 hours.

It shouldn’t be hard to understand from a behavioral psychology standpoint how this increases standby times. Anyone who has access to a skip the line feature, be it ILL or Genie+ or DAS, does not have to commit serious time in order to ride an e-ticket attraction. They give something else up. A little money, the ability to book another pass for another ride. But not time. None of them are waiting.
Even with DAS I would not do a 3 hour wait. But that is a personal decision, usually that is a ride we cannot do with the DAS rider or if we can it takes a bit to load this individual so I don't want to make the cue longer.

Happyday

Hell…you can go tiffins and then booze for hours at nomad lounge…then walk on flight of passage…

…you know…cause your diabetes makes lines impossible 🙄
I understand your point and yes there is abuse but those that truly need DAS are not doing what some people here are describing. I would totally explain our situation but really don't want to give the abusers ideas.

Splash4eva

Even with DAS I would not do a 3 hour wait. But that is a personal decision, usually that is a ride we cannot do with the DAS rider or if we can it takes a bit to load this individual so I don't want to make the cue longer.
Exactly. Honestly if there is anything above say 80 minutes we would skip that ride because you dont want to tie up your access for that long. This is where Genie comes into play and where booking something before dinner. Just like everything else when you use something you get to learn and understand how to maximize it. I know people who use DAS as well who literally will do maybe 4-5 rides max a day. So to me their are outliers on both ends of the soectrum

phillip9698

They pointed to how the generous accommodation was being abused. They did not point specifically to who was abusing the accommodation. Disney’s approach for some time now has been to try and limit access to accommodations.

Knowing abuse is happening is not the same as knowing who is abusing the system.

Knowing abuse is happening is more than enough to try and snuff it out. Again, people were running life sustaining businesses with DAS abuse as the cornerstone. Thats a fact.

Nobody can truthfully convince me that somehow the people that make up +60% capacity of Disney rides have legit disorders that prevent them from waiting in a queue. These are A, people that are wrongfully using a system designed for people with serious issues, and B people who think being slightly discomforted while waiting is equivalent to the complete inability to wait.

Exactly how are all these people able to function just fine at Universal, Dollywood, Sea World, Hershey Park, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, etc....just fine but the moment they step into a Disney Park they are woefully disabled? You telling me the queue environment causes unbearable issues but standing shoulder to shoulder in a mob while waiting for fireworks or a parade doesnt? Waiting an hour for a bus doesnt? Waiting to get in the park doesnt? How convenient it must be that the only thing that triggers this issue is waiting in line for an E Ticket.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Knowing abuse is happening is more than enough to try and snuff it out.

Nobody can truthfully convince me that somehow the people that make up +60% capacity of Disney rides have legit disorders that prevent them from waiting in a queue. These are A, people that are wrongfully using a system designed for people with serious issues, and B people who think being slightly discomforted while waiting is equivalent to the complete inability to wait.

Exactly how are all these people able to function just fine at Universal, Dollywood, Sea World, Hershey Park, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, etc....just fine but the moment they step into a Disney Park they are woefully disabled?
The other parks you mentioned also have DAS type programs as do some museums, ballparks and many other places. Some parks even provide services that Disney does not

Angel Ariel

Part of our planning to accommodate DD's disability is the timing of our trips. We don't go during peak travel times. There's never been a 3hr wait for us to use DAS for, because there's been no 3hr standby wait in the parks for anyone.

I went through our DCA day 1 in my head last night, with the number shared here of 10 attractions being the average for most typical guests/day. We did 9 attractions, give or take one or two, and that's including rides we did more than once. We didn't have some huge advantage over everyone. 🤷‍♀️

Hockey89

Every single DAS user has an advantage over every single standby rider every single time.

It’s honestly just silly to pretend otherwise.

No, they are not waiting like everyone else. If a ride has a 3 hour standby time, they only have to commit to standing in line for 10 minutes. From an opportunity cost standpoint, the only thing they are sacrificing is the ability to skip other lines for the next few hours. A standby rider has to actually stand in line for 3 hours.

It shouldn’t be hard to understand from a behavioral psychology standpoint how this increases standby times. Anyone who has access to a skip the line feature, be it ILL or Genie+ or DAS, does not have to commit serious time in order to ride an e-ticket attraction. They give something else up. A little money, the ability to book another pass for another ride. But not time. None of them are waiting.
Of course, this is correct. The DAS abusers just hate the ability will be up for so many.... Thank god

phillip9698

The other parks you mentioned also have DAS type programs as do some museums, ballparks and many other places. Some parks even provide services that Disney does not

Do the people using those services use +60% of the establisments capacity? I can assure you they do not.

The issue isnt that the programs exist, its that the current implementation of Disney's service is so wrought with fraud it significantly hampers the experience for 92% of paying customers.

Hockey89

Do the people using those services use +60% of the establisments capacity? I can assure you they do not.

The issue isnt that the programs exist, its that the current implementation of Disney's service is so wrought with fraud it significantly hampers the experience for 92% of paying customers.
They don't care. They want their special treatment and screw the 92% of the paying customers....

Andrew25

I'm not saying DAS doesn't take capacity away... but I don't buy DAS using 60% of total park capacity, as Disney has a lot of capacity in attractions that are going underutilized like Carousel of Progress, Tiki Room, etc. Unless they picked one particular attraction to point out or focused on the major attractions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand your point and yes there is abuse but those that truly need DAS are not doing what some people here are describing. I would totally explain our situation but really don't want to give the abusers ideas.
I have no doubt that most use DAS aren’t living it up on some kinda picnic.

They call them “disability” for a reason

But my point is there is a way to take advantage of it.

There are two possibilities here:
1. Enough abuse it’s interfering with the smooth operation
2. Disney is using it as an excuse for their own incompetence

Neither are good for any of us

lazyboy97o

DAS users typically travel in a party. That right there balloons the people associated with the program we beyond just 8%.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not saying DAS doesn't take capacity away... but I don't buy DAS using 60% of total park capacity, as Disney has a lot of capacity in attractions that are going underutilized like Carousel of Progress, Tiki Room, etc. Unless they picked one particular attraction to point out or focused on the major attractions.
Supposedly that’s way low of ride capacity that has lightning lane

So carousel of progress wouldn’t count

phillip9698

Well… it would be 40% not 92.

I wonder what percentage is actually lying?

If roughly 8% of guests and their company are using the service then why are only 40% of the remaining guests impacted? Everyone who isn’t using the service is impacted by its abuse.

Another poster above is correct, there is usually an associated party. If every DAS participant is also bringing 2 people with them then no wonder the entire queueing system is broken!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Well it’s Disney…so we can’t entirely trust their motives

They’ve run their parks wrong for decades now…the damage is becoming more clear

He’ll NEVER Admit it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom