New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Joel

Standby is going to increase a lot. I could a 60 minute wait becoming 90 minutes easy. IMO that's not they are trying to fix. The point of the changes is to open up more availability for those who purchase Genie+.
This makes no sense. If Disney wanted to sell more Genie+ and was cool with increasing standby times 50%, they could do that tomorrow without touching DAS and making a bunch of people upset.

Jrb1979

This makes no sense. If Disney wanted to sell more Genie+ and was cool with increasing standby times 50%, they could do that tomorrow without touching DAS and making a bunch of people upset.
They can't. Ride capacity is a set number per hour. You can't just increase LL as then nobody in standby would be able to ride anything.

TrojanUSC

I don't think I know what rider switch is then. Someone waits with the person that isn't riding. Then the one that waited rides by entering the LL queue. It requires someone not riding in your party.

Are you proposing that I ride with my daughter while my wife waits outside and then I ride with her after my initial turn? Wouldn't that cause more of a wait for others? That's two people in standby and then two people in the LL queue when the three of us could have just gone through once on DAS. And what about my daughter? Who watches her while I ride again? She could ride but that is three people in the queue for a total of five added folks in the line, four of them riders, while DAS would have yielded just three riders.

But then someone would have physically waited in the line which is really all you want.

edited for clarity.

Rider switch allows the person who waits to bring someone with them so they don't go alone. It's typically used for kids who are too small to ride certain rides with height requirements, but they allow someone to accompany the person who waited - even if it means someone gets to ride twice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Im curious to get peoples opinion …. What do you think is going to happen to wait times once this “new” version of DAS comes out to standby lines? I genuinely would like to get everyones thoughts.
I fear it’s another Bob Iger “test of loyalty”

You want to go to the parks with your 50
Year timeshare we sold you?…now genie is standard or you won’t move

ConfettiCupcake

It’s not about making anyone happy. It’s about making more $$$.

I can’t imagine why any poster of this forum would have thee illusion that Disney gives a toot about the guest experience.

I think this is way too black and white. Their #1 focus is money but upset people don’t like to keep handing that over. Think of the difference in the way people happily fork over $$$ for an after hours event but begrudgingly buy Genie+ even though people generally aren’t ecstatic with the results from it (Disneys own 2-3 ride disclaimer is abysmal).

I think they care about the guest experience when negative guest experience can lead to revenue left on the table. I don’t think the attempt to decrease LL waits and possibly free up LL availability is out of the goodness of their hearts, but I also don’t mind if we actually wind up with an improved system.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Subtext here (it seems) is:

“We’re glad you’ve enjoyed DAS…it was of great benefit to you. Now we are gonna restrict it a lot so that more people can buy their way into the lighting lanes. Unfortunately, there’s a lot more of them and they have a lot more money.”

- creepy joker Josh

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think this is way too black and white. Their #1 focus is money but upset people don’t like to keep handing that over. Think of the difference in the way people happily fork over $$$ for an after hours event but begrudgingly buy Genie+ even though people generally aren’t ecstatic with the results from it (Disneys own 2-3 ride disclaimer is abysmal).

I think they care about the guest experience when negative guest experience can lead to revenue left on the table. I don’t think the attempt to decrease LL waits and possibly free up LL availability is out of the goodness of their hearts, but I also don’t mind if we actually wind up with an improved system.
Very true

I think the one thing that’s happened since genie…and das is being brought into it…
Is they didn’t know how unpopular it was gonna be and how much chatter was gonna hurt their business. It’s already done so in Orlando and don’t be shocked if Anaheim follows.

They ignored some things and sold themselves on some falsehoods:
1. They decided they’re irresistible. Nope. Look at declining attendance and box office. That was the ship of fools
2. They knew they didn’t have nearly enough capacity…for years…and won’t address it. It’s why each system gets worse. It’s putting a bandaid on a pipe instead of shutting the valve off.
3. They figured since every park has a paid ride skip…they should to? They forgot what they are…not a single day stop…but a place that people go for a week with hugely expensive lodging, food and crap peddling. Yes…that matters. They managed to overdo it on price. Terrible management.

I’m always listening for Disney chatter at home…but the amount of negativity has gone up exponentially in the last 2 years…which lines up about even with genie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What # do you think. My last couple trips its been visible & i would say safely i saw a solid 15 different groups in MK & HS. Nowhere near that in Epcot or AK
I don’t know…someone here probably has a good idea

But they have like 40,000 on property rooms and few tenants looking to pay $3000 a clip on top. People with money generally have a sense of what’s stupid

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What I would like to know, before I hop on this DAS must be severely restricted bandwagon, is some typical numbers for non- DAS non- LL users. Like how many rides does a typical standby user get to ride each day.
If you got the first hour and get 2 out of the way…on a light to moderate crowd day?

Maybe 8?

On busier days WITH genie? If you get six non throwaway rides/shows you feel like you got a lot.

Now think of what those cost you each day per ride?

There’s a hidden “systemic pressure” at work here

Splash4eva

I don’t know…someone here probably has a good idea

But they have like 40,000 on property rooms and few tenants looking to pay $3000 a clip on top. People with money generally have a sense of what’s stupid
My trip after Covid we were behind a group and the CM was talking with the Dad saying how Disney was hiring more plaids because they couldnt keep up with the demand. Dont know if it was “fear” driving it or not but thats what i was over hearing them talk about

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My trip after Covid we were behind a group and the CM was talking with the Dad saying how Disney was hiring more plaids because they couldnt keep up with the demand. Dont know if it was “fear” driving it or not but thats what i was over hearing them talk about
Employees always believe there is a huge boom coming…it’s their only hope to make more money. Not to be frank…but it’s always been that way.

They are not well paid. The schtick is always the same

Joel

They can't. Ride capacity is a set number per hour. You can't just increase LL as then nobody in standby would be able to ride anything.
You're the one claiming they don't care about massively increasing standby waits. Even with DAS abuse, the percentage of people using the LL is nowhere close to 100%. Of course they could increase it.

“We’re glad you’ve enjoyed DAS…it was of great benefit to you. Now we are gonna restrict it a lot so that more people can buy their way into the lighting lanes. Unfortunately, there’s a lot more of them and they have a lot more money.”
It isn't selling out now though. If they wanted to make G+ a more attractive service so it did on a regular basis, standby waits be damned, they could have done that a long time ago.

I don't doubt that the DAS changes are in no small part motivated by a desire to sell more Genie+, but a 50% increase in standby waits afterwards is just not believable. Give me any odds on that bet, and I'll take them.

Splash4eva

If you got the first hour and get 2 out of the way…on a light to moderate crowd day?

Maybe 8?

On busier days WITH genie? If you get six non throwaway rides/shows you feel like you got a lot.

Now think of what those cost you each day per ride?

There’s a hidden “systemic pressure” at work here

Maybe im different but on my worst day i was still able to pull 6 attractions at HS and 7 at MK. To me that would still be worth the cost to avoid those lines. Even if it only saved me say 20-30 minutes per ride. I know its awful logic and what Bob wants to hear but spending an extra 100 a day for 3 people when you factor in the total cost is well worth it to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom