New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also, isn’t the landscape kinda different now with things like ESG ratings?

I’m not entirely clear on how those work so I’m not sure what to make of them. Whatever one makes of them, though, I think DAS is the kind of issue that would be absolutely front and center in regard to ESG, and Disney would need to tread carefully there.
That’s an interesting variable

I’m not well versed in it. But overtime I think we will get a good grip on how they will impact Disney and their management?

And some will just ignore it and parrot what management makes excuses for and be mad you’re insulting “their Disney”🤪

jaklgreen

At a minimum, they should try to align the DAS experience more with the normal guest.

No advance reservations of any kind, further limit the party size (just like for a normal guest's switch off option), no DAS and Genie+ reservation at same time (normal guest can't hold two future G+ reservations at once (allow VQ and ILL exceptions just like normal guests), no early re-entry vs standby line wait time, etc.

If you want to reduce use and abuse, you have to reduce the incentive that makes the DAS experience superior to the normal paying guest option.
As a DAS user and for my issues, I have absolutely no problem with any of these. I never did the preregistration anyway and I never went on other rides while waiting for my DAS return. But I don't have little kids in tow either. But there is a fine line of making something unattractive to the fakers and severely limiting a person with a disabilities' experience. You don't want to "punish" someone because they have a disability just to weed out the fakers. That is akin to sending an innocent man to jail just so a guilty one doesn't go free.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Would these issues hypothetically be resolved if Disney eventually had separate lines for DAS vs. LL? I know it would take awhile, but long term it seems like that would need to be the solution.
as long as both lines have equal access to the attraction - this doesn't help anything.

And more queue is already difficult to add - if you were to allow the lines to merge at different ratios.

Joel

I know, they are in a tough spot here. I agree that something has to be done. But short of actually asking for proof, how are they going to pick and choose who they think is "faking it"? From what some have said, it seems that a huge problem is actual cast members. Why don't they start there first?
I'm guessing it's because the problem isn't just fraud. It's that a one-size-fits-all solution has created an environment that is no longer sustainable. Which is why they're going to be offering return-to-line and perhaps other accommodations and restricting who is eligible for DAS.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The solution here is a highly trained, highly experienced, highly PAID guest service and management staff. One free of the fear of guest com complaints.

The could handle case by case and make experienced judgement calls.

But I only see one problem with that 😉💰

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Would these issues hypothetically be resolved if Disney eventually had separate lines for DAS vs. LL? I know it would take awhile, but long term it seems like that would need to be the solution.

DAS is supposed to be equivalent to standby, so assuming Disney calculated the times accurately, DAS should theoretically not change standby waits. It would just split those waiting into different locations. And while it would take time, additional queues seem like they’d be on the relatively uncomplicated side in terms of construction.
3/4 of the rides don’t have enough room
For the lines they already have…adding more isn’t feasible

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course. This is mostly a money grab hidden behind the claim of bettering guest experience. Once again trying to cover up lack of capacity and a system that cant handle what is intended to again make more money. Hey maybe the stock will hit 150 again soon enough!!! Sloppy seconds from Universal may pay off big for them in 2025 as well
I agree there

If they had enough capacity nobody would be doing TikTok cheat videos for disability and people wouldn’t be angrily complaining all over the parks and once they get home about it

Joel

The solution here is a highly trained, highly experienced, highly PAID guest service and management staff. One free of the fear of guest com complaints.

The could handle case by case and make experienced judgement calls.

But I only see one problem with that 😉💰
Disney can't afford it because everybody is getting free DAS instead of paying for Genie+? ;)

haveyoumetmark

Okay I just have to ask... I know nothing about Universal as there really are very few rides we can ride there. I now they have a system in place for autism and DD, and you have to have documentation are there any other accommodations? Do they have the same issues? If not what other differences are there?
Again just asking trying to educate myself please only helpful responses.
Disney’s system is much more sophisticated and operates at a larger scale. It’s more technologically advanced and integrated into the app.

Universal’s system is a literal paper card that attraction team members fill out with a pen. At Universal, one has to physically go to the attraction and the team member writes down a return time on a card, then the guest can come back at that time and join the Express queue. You can’t join a queue from anywhere in the park, like the entrance or while in another queue waiting to board. It’s like a pen and paper version of the original fast pass.

This is in addition to the hurdles for qualifying including third-party screening, documentation and visiting guest relations the day of to pick up the card.

Happyday

Disney’s system is much more sophisticated and operates at a larger scale. It’s more technologically advanced and integrated into the app.

Universal’s system is a literal paper card that attraction team members fill out with a pen. At Universal, one has to physically go to the attraction and the team member writes down a return time on a card, then the guest can come back at that time and join the Express queue. You can’t join a queue from anywhere in the park, like the entrance or while in another queue waiting to board. It’s like a pen and paper version of the original fast pass.

This is in addition to the hurdles for qualifying including third-party screening, documentation and visiting guest relations the day of to pick up the card.
Ahhh this is where the disconnect is, I remember when with DAS even though it was digital you still had to go to the ride for a return time! I can't remember when it changed I'm sure COVID change again 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

DisneyHead123

as long as both lines have equal access to the attraction - this doesn't help anything.

And more queue is already difficult to add - if you were to allow the lines to merge at different ratios.

3/4 of the rides don’t have enough room
For the lines they already have…adding more isn’t feasible

This is what I’m not understanding… aren’t they just standby line members who are waiting in a different location? I thought that was the whole point of replacing front-of-the-line services.

It’s often discussed as if DAS users are an entirely separate group that has to be added to the regular line, but presumably that would only be true if the total people in park dropped drastically without DAS. If the total number of ticket holders and riders in the park is otherwise constant, I would think it’s just a matter of who is waiting where. Some in line, some elsewhere.

nickys

Premium Member
I don’t know if this has been posted yet.

Disneyland have apparently updated their disabilities info with some extra detail.

Rider Switch is specifically mentioned as being an accommodation that will be offered to some DAS applicants.

Ie: most of the party queues n stand-by. Applicant and a care-giver wait and are given the RS.

I think some people have already been offered this on the virtual calls, but not sure if it’s actually being used yet.

Last edited:

rct247

How will they sniiff out the fraud?

If the concerns expressed over the video chat doesn't seem to be genuine or detailed enough, they bring in their health partner who specializes in those developmental disabilities, essentially like talking to a doctor.

I'm sure it will also be telling when a group of 12 conveniently has 3 people in their group that have DAS to cover everyone. There are people who also try to use the DAS without the person present or has even left the park. When nearly half of your friends and family list show that someone is registered with DAS. When people show up to add people to their DAS and they don't seem to know each other. There's the people who have multiple people in their group with DAS. They book different attractions and count on the cast members to accommodate the 1 or 2 that don't have a valid return time in the larger group so they aren't split up, but in reality, they double dipped. It's also the number of cast that seem to qualify for DAS, but do just fine working their shifts. It's also the the people that a declined multiple times but somehow find a person that gives it to them. There are groups who get return times, but then go and try to convince the attractions that they can't wait even for their return time to the point that they are repeatedly let in early nearly everywhere. And lastly, the groups that say they can't wait in an hour wait for one ride, but then go get in line for another that is 45mins. That's how it is abused and can be investigated.

haveyoumetmark

This is what I’m not understanding… aren’t they just standby line members who are waiting in a different location? I thought that was the whole point of replacing front-of-the-line services.

It’s often discussed as if DAS users are an entirely separate group that has to be added to the regular line, but presumably that would only be true if the total people in park dropped drastically without DAS. If the total number of ticket holders and riders in the park is otherwise constant, I would think it’s just a matter of who is waiting where. Some in line, some elsewhere.
Another queue is like adding another lane to the highway. It won’t do anything.

Your thinking is missing some variables. Imagine being able to wait in 2 queues simultaneously. Typically this would require another ticket holder but with DAS it doesn’t. Which is why there can be more people in queues than tickets sold in a day. Losing DAS may not necessarily drop the number of people in a park per day, but it does drop the number of people in queues (which as I said with DAS is not limited to tickets sold in a day). Fewer people in queues, means wait times are shorter, which means more people can access more attractions in a day. But with a finite number of seats on rides per day, those without DAS or Genie just can’t do as much. It’s an operations and capacity failure.

I don’t really think standby times are accurate at all either. They are eyeballed by management, but there’s no way to account for guests showing up late and when return times don’t expire, it can throw those calculations off balance.

I’m not making a statement about DAS, it’s a great service for those who have it. I’m just responding to your reasoning.

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

Another queue is like adding another lane to the highway. It won’t do anything.

Your thinking is missing some variables. Imagine being able to wait in 2 queues simultaneously. Typically this would require another ticket holder but with DAS it doesn’t. Which is why there can be more people in queues than tickets sold in a day. With a finite number of seats on rides per day, those without DAS or Genie won’t be able to do as much. It’s an operations and capacity failure.

I don’t really think standby times are accurate at all either. They are eyeballed by management, but there’s no way to account for guests showing up late and when return times don’t expire, it can throw those calculations off balance.

I’m not making a statement about DAS, it’s a great service for those who have it. I’m just responding to your reasoning.
So basically it’s the ability to double-wait that causes additional lines? (Standby times may be off but I imagine that could happen in either direction, too long or too short.)

Wonder if they will eventually have everyone tap in to every line then.

haveyoumetmark

So basically it’s the ability to double-wait that causes additional lines? (Standby times may be off but I imagine that could happen in either direction, too long or too short.)

Wonder if they will eventually have everyone tap in to every line then.
It’s one piece of the puzzle but there are many more variables involved. I just mentioned it because of your point about the number of ticket holders in a park per day. That number isn’t as relevant if a large enough number of people can effectively duplicate themselves.

With pre-books, some people can be in as many as 4 lines at once. If they have Genie+ in addition to the pre-books, it’s possible for one person to effectively wait in 5 queues at the same time.

DisneyHead123

It’s one piece of the puzzle but there are many more variables involved. I just mentioned it because of your point about the number of ticket holders in a park per day. That number isn’t as relevant if a large enough number of people can effectively duplicate themselves.
That’s the only factor that seems unique to DAS to me. Any other factor seems like another way of saying “If fewer people wanted to come to the park, lines would be shorter.”

The exception being Genie+, where DAS and Genie+ sharing a physical space might have an impact. Otherwise, I don’t see how saying “We don’t know how many DAS users may show up,” is any different than saying “We don’t know how many standby users are going to show up.” (Which is of course the case.)

KrzyKtty

I don’t know if this has been posted yet.

Disneyland have apparently updated their disabilities info with some extra detail.

Rider Switch is specifically mentioned as being an accommodation that will be offered to some DAS applicants.

Ie: most of the party queues n stand-by. Applicant and a care-giver wait and are given the RS.

I think some people have already been offered this on the virtual calls, but not sure if it’s actually being used yet.
Was this not more widely used in the past? Seems like a simple obvious solution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom