New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

That's what I thought if that is the only difference isn't what this new Disney system basically do the same thing but without the need for documentation. I don't blame Disney for doing everything but what is being tested in court. I won't be surprised if IBCCES is allowed to be used Disney will jump on it. I am also curious if Disney basically did the same if the problems would solved or is it beyond the system? Again trying to learn and wrap my head around all this.
What always baffled me was this. If a guest is willing to show proof/documentation Disney still will not allow it. Now is a perfect example where it would probably out a ton of people at ease if Disney on the chat allowed someone to show/read all the documentation on it from professionals who know way more than a CM or 3rd party and use that advice. Those who “refuse” and get denied then imo really dont have a leg to stand on. Now with that being said with this last minute change plenty would not be able to get proper documents in time. But most probably have it and others could probably get it in time. I do not know anyone who legit needs this service that is not willing to show proof.

Fido Chuckwagon

What always baffled me was this. If a guest is willing to show proof/documentation Disney still will not allow it. Now is a perfect example where it would probably out a ton of people at ease if Disney on the chat allowed someone to show/read all the documentation on it from professionals who know way more than a CM or 3rd party and use that advice. Those who “refuse” and get denied then imo really dont have a leg to stand on. Now with that being said with this last minute change plenty would not be able to get proper documents in time. But most probably have it and others could probably get it in time. I do not know anyone who legit needs this service that is not willing to show proof.
The ADA does not allow Disney to request documentation.

Splash4eva

I am skeptical of the solo travelers who suffer from physical (versus neurological) impairments who are already stating a return to line pass will definitely do nothing for them without seeing what that return to line pass actually looks like. There is a difference between a person who cannot wait in a line due to emotional/neurological disabilities and those who cannot wait in a line because they may need to frequently leave to go to the bathroom, take a break, etc. The latter might prefer to get the classic DAS line-skip, but they can’t, because that is sucking up too much capacity from everyone else. When GAC changed to DAS there was a ton of similar sentiments and outrage from the former GAC users and that ended up working out fine for basically all of them.
I never understood the outrage when they changed system. It still allowed myself the same access to rides which is all i ask for and needed.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
They’re using a third party company that involves health professionals, but it’s currently being tested in court.

I had to bring a TON of documentation with me to school when i signed up at the disabilities office. Plus iirc also a doctors note (form letter).

When i asked for accommodations at work i also had to bring a ton of paperwork. No doctors note though.

I know I’m just a dumb bystander, but i don’t understand why it’s “not legal” for Disney (with a third party) to require the same documentation to be allowed to participate in the same type of program.

Trauma

People who frequent Disney and are “in the know” know how to bend the rules, if they are the type of person inclined to do so.

99% of all locals, AP holders and DVC members are amazing honest people.

But I bet you know someone who bent the rules, and they are more likely to belong to one of those groups then not.

Heck we have reports in this thread that CM’s are abusing DAS.

The point ( poorly stated since people are getting their feathers ruffled ) is people who know more about Disney are more likely to cheat, then know nothing first time visitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Happyday

The ADA does not allow Disney to request documentation.
Again I fully know this and understand that but others are doing it (I know it is in court now) my question is if Disney did everything Universal and others do but don't require documentation which it looks like they are doing what is the difference? Again I am trying to figure this out in my head. And if the system Universal is using makes it through the courts will Disney jump on it and adopt it?

TrainsOfDisney

I had to bring a TON of documentation with me to school when i signed up at the disabilities office. Plus iirc also a doctors note (form letter).

When i asked for accommodations at work i also had to bring a ton of paperwork. No doctors note though.

I know I’m just a dumb bystander, but i don’t understand why it’s “not legal” for Disney (with a third party) to require the same documentation to be allowed to participate in the same type of program.
Schools and jobs are not a “place of public accommodation”

Fido Chuckwagon

I never said it’s not legal, I said it’s being tested in court. There’s litigation pending. I have no idea how that case is going to turn out, the court may end up ruling that it’s fine and Disney may end up following suit. The rules for education are different and for the workplace are different.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I never said it’s not legal, I said it’s being tested in court. There’s litigation pending. I have no idea how that case is going to turn out, the court may end up ruling that it’s fine and Disney may end up following suit. The rules for education are different and for the workplace are different.

Is there a thread for following that court hearing yet? 😂🙃 that will likely have a large impact on this discussion

Fido Chuckwagon

Again I fully know this and understand that but others are doing it (I know it is in court now) my question is if Disney did everything Universal and others do but don't require documentation which it looks like they are doing what is the difference? Again I am trying to figure this out in my head. And if the system Universal is using makes it through the courts will Disney jump on it and adopt it?
The system Universal is using is very different from Disney. Disney’s announcement is kind of vague so we don’t really know yet, but it sure seems like Disney’s is actually more restrictive as to what kind of disabilities they will allow to use DAS versus Universal. On the other hand Universal is requiring (kind of, there are exceptions) authentication through IBCCES but are granting it for a wider variety of disabilities than what Disney has announced.

Happyday

The system Universal is using is very different from Disney. Disney’s announcement is kind of vague so we don’t really know yet, but it sure seems like Disney’s is actually more restrictive as to what kind of disabilities they will allow to use DAS versus Universal. On the other hand Universal is requiring (kind of, there are exceptions) authentication through IBCCES but are granting it for a wider variety of disabilities than what Disney has announced.
Interesting. I guess I was hopeful Disney would look at what is working elsewhere and maybe they are🤷🏻‍♀️ again we won't know till it happens. I guess that is why I'm inquiring so I can learn what systems works and compare to what ultimately rolls out at Disney 😄

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is not about my opinions, Disney’s ADA lawyers know exactly what they can pass the legal test on in their specific situation and they should be aggressively holding to only that as that is their best defense against liability.
And know what accommodation was part of the last lawsuit and found appropriate? The level DAS gives now. So what do you see changing?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m no businessman (obviously) but isn’t there a case to tell the shareholders, listen, we’re going to take a hit publicly, but this is the plan to not only regain current financial success but surpass it within the next five years.

Like, surely the shareholders see that something gotta give? Like when the stores file for bankruptcy so they can come back stronger?
The problem is that only works 1 out of 50 times

As far as the “shareholder message” on park drops in key metrics? They haven’t made an excuse…they just assume they won’t be challenged on it.

Whats lost in the Peltz “existential crisis” is that Disney’s business isn’t looking good. Something the financials have started to opine about in the last week.

So this switch on quarterly announcement next month? My guess is it’s gonna be the most elaborate spin job ever to avoid any kinda market dip.

We’ll see

KDM31091

Unfortunately again not all disabilities are the same. Some may need two people to assist with a transfer to the ride🤷🏻‍♀️
Two, fine. But having one disabled individual plus 5 people getting to use the LL as well, to me, is excessive. It multiplies very quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom