New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

haveyoumetmark

I feel like what is being missed here is the #1 problem is the actual wait times for the attractions. I mentioned it before but does anyone remember how Disney was testing ways to keep people from waiting in long physical lines? Dumbo at MK with the Circus Tent and pagers and also Rock n roller coaster with the DJ out front?

if Disney addressed the actual problem it would be a solution for everyone.
Yes, and… several people virtually waiting in multiple queues simultaneously with a limited amount of queues to distribute that load are causing these wait times.

The only way to fix this is by having more rides and fewer ways to queue for those rides. Disney can’t add another new queuing option to get themselves out of this mess but I bet they tried.

Jrb1979

That’s not even how it works at Disneyland. I never wait more than an hour out there!
Again that's still a Disney park. Try visiting any park that's not Disney. Unless you pay for an Express Pass type ticket, you will be waiting in long lines for top attractions.

Look at Hagrids when it first opened. It had and 8 hour wait.

pigglewiggle

This is becoming a circular argument. WDW does have a paid options, but they also have a DAS which is NOT a paid option. The complaint is that those who have paid are allegedly being delayed getting on attractions by those who have not paid for a similar option, especially since many guests have lied/exaggerated to gain the similar, free option.

The arguments have been about how to fix this problem without having a negative impact on either group, while also not having an even more negative impact on guests who, for whatever reason, cannot or will not pay extra.

An express pass only works if a small % of guests have one. When the majority of guests have them - or something very similar - not only does it make the waits longer for those who do not have them, but also for those who have paid to have them. It then lowers the value of having one.

If there were more attractions, or the # of park guests decreased, or the number of guests allowed to purchase Genie+ & LL were capped, along with limiting the # of DAS users per day, it would help.

Only the first solution would make everyone happy.

That is sort of what I mean though. An express pass would have to be priced high enough so a lot of people wouldn't buy it, therefore being beneficial only to those that do.

DAS would obviously still need to be offered to those that qualify, but otherwise people would have to make do with either some of the other accommodations that Disney plans to offer, just waiting in line or buying the express pass.

And people would not like that.

I don't see how else a theme park can eliminate waiting in line altogether. A pager system just wouldn't work.

Like it or not, I think Genie is the best they can offer at the moment.

Vegas Disney Fan

There’s also probably some level of “soft abuse” from people who have conditions and are qualifying, but also are definitely using accommodations they don’t actually need.

I’ve seen this first hand, we have a friend who has a genuine medical reason for DAS but she will also use it to skip a 15 minute queue, that she has no medical reason to skip.

We’ve done it ourselves, my GF is fine in line for 30 minutes before fainting even becomes a threat, but when a line is 25 minutes and all you have to do is click a button on an app to avoid that line it’s easy to abuse it.

It’s the soft abuse that is probably the biggest problem.

3/4 of the rides don’t have enough room
For the lines they already have…adding more isn’t feasible

A third line, for leaving and rejoining your party, would be useful to not only DAS but also everyday guests who just need to run to the bathroom or grab a drink, unfortunately you are correct there’s no room for it in the majority of rides.

Not sure having people hold places solves the problem either, it wouldn’t be a very fun vacation to have dad standing in line alone all day while mom and the kids are waiting elsewhere, or the wife waiting in line alone while the disabled husband is sitting alone on a park bench elsewhere.

There’s no real one size fits all fix, a third line would definitely be helpful though.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Yes, and… several people virtually waiting in multiple queues simultaneously with a limited amount of queues to distribute that load are causing these wait times.

The only way to fix this is by having more rides and fewer ways to queue for those rides. Disney can’t add another new queuing option to get themselves out of this mess but I bet they tried.
IMO the best option for Disney is to scrap Genie+ and start retraining guests that standby is the norm.

TrainsOfDisney

Doesn’t have to be more rides… more shows and characters helps too. That’s why the reduction of live entertainment is a loss for everyone, even those that didn’t like *insert name of group here*

There are pros and cons of virtual q options but I thought the pager system they tried had good potential.

pigglewiggle

IMO the best option for Disney is to scrap Genie+ and start retraining guests that standby is the norm.

What people need to realize is even if you buy Genie +, you may still have a wait sometimes, you just won't walk right on. And sometimes it will run out and then you'll have to wait in line.

DisneyHead123

That's the same thing as another line if anyone in the standby line waits beyond that point. And if they didn't, the 'point of entry' has zero purpose.
Physically it’s in a different location, but the wait times are supposed to be the same. If that’s not the case Disney needs to work on their algorithms.

Not just G+ users, but LL users too. You're trying to say 'this doesn't add or subtract riders' - But that is only partially true and most of the other stuff you are saying is mangled as you try to make that point.

Ay yai yai. One warning with personal insults. If you can’t make your point without them, no point in continuing. I don’t agree with the points you’re making either, I managed to avoid saying you’re “mangling” them.

This doesn't change ride capacity. But because people are potentially waiting less time, they can also then increase the # of attraction riders in the park. In effect, by not being in one queue, they can be in another queue.
Ok, as I’ve said, agree that double dipping appears to be the one facet of DAS that would increase wait times. There may be more, I just haven’t heard what they are.

And the reason DAS can wait less time than standby, is because variability in the LL/return line punishes standby the most.

Ok, again, it seems like that could be solved with Disney factoring that into DAS wait times. Unless there’s some reason they can’t, like they’d be accused of discrimination if they went over on the wait times. But if that’s not the case, I don’t see why they can’t just work on improving their math / estimates.

Moving people out of the high priority queue benefits everyone, even if that person simply moves to the standby queue.

Ok. This is essentially an argument against having Genie+, which is a bit of a separate topic.

Anytime that check-in point skips someone else in standby line.. you've effectively created a 3rd queue. It doesn't matter if the queue has little to no depth.
DAS is not supposed to “skip” standby users. It’s supposed to re-integrate DAS users into the line at the point they would have entered if they were in standby. Maybe the math on that is just impossible for Disney to work out, if anyone has any data on that please let me know. But otherwise, no one should be getting “skipped”, DAS members should be re-joining the queue at the time they would have, had they stood in a physical line.

Jrb1979

What people need to realize is even if you buy Genie +, you may still have a wait sometimes, you just won't walk right on. And sometimes it will run out and then you'll have to wait in line.
I understand that. My question is and I know Disney is more than just rides but how do any of you manage when you go to other parks? Unless you pay big bucks to skip the line, you are waiting in long lines all day.

rct247

As with the current system, you are unable to tap into the attraction unless the DAS user taps in first- making your argument here irirrelevant.

But it happens. DAS holder leaves their card with the rest of the group and counts on the cast member to not look close enough at the picture as they scan people in and sadly sometimes works.

Sometimes it isn't about the length of time but rather the circumstance of the line. I know many DAS holders who only use it for outside lines in the sunlight. Once again, showing that every circumstance is different and will be extremely difficult for Disney to prove fraud.

So, then DAS wouldn't be necessary and perhaps this return to queue part would work where the person that can't wait in the sun sits in a shaded spot while members of the party go through the line and if it's that is the one off attraction with no shade, then a return time is issued just for that one attraction not a DAS for the day. That is what these changes are addressing. The accommodation is still there but the blanket need for it to be DAS is being looked at.

haveyoumetmark

Doesn’t have to be more rides… more shows and characters helps too. That’s why the reduction of live entertainment is a loss for everyone, even those that didn’t like *insert name of group here*

There are pros and cons of virtual q options but I thought the pager system they tried had good potential.
Sure but shows and characters not only don’t have the same draw, someone can’t watch two shows at the same time while also meeting a character.

But someone can be in standby for Living with The Land with a DAS return time for Soarin, a Genie+ LL for Ratatouille, an ILL for GOTG, and redeemable DAS pre-books for Spaceship Earth and Frozen simultaneously.

That’s how 1 person can be “in the queue” for 6 rides at the same time. It’s an extreme example, yet totally possible with the current system. Which is why it’s broken and you basically need to be an expert to enjoy WDW anymore.

Last edited:

pigglewiggle

Sure but shows and characters not only don’t have the same draw, someone can’t watch two shows at the same time while also meeting a character.

But someone can be in standby for Living with The Land with a DAS return time for Soarin, a Genie+ LL for Ratatouille, an ILL for GOTG, and redeemable DAS pre-books for Spaceship Earth and Frozen simultaneously.

I'm so lost. I thought the whole point of the DAS was so you don't have to buy Genie +?

And after everything I've said, I will say we've never even noticed an issue of increased waits for our LLs.

TrainsOfDisney

I understand that. My question is and I know Disney is more than just rides but how do any of you manage when you go to other parks? Unless you pay big bucks to skip the line, you are waiting in long lines all day.
I haven’t experienced crazy long lines at other parks (Universal, Herschend, Knotts) but I don’t go as often so it’s not super easy to compare.

Honestly I don’t see really long lines in Cali most of the time - just in Florida.

freediverdude

Honestly the whole thing sounds like a PITA, even if I had a qualified disability I would just buy G+ and call it a day. what's a $100 over whatever time it takes to do all these and reveal all this personal info to a corporation.
Yes. As a wise person told me, your time is actually worth money. And, you're literally spending X dollars for every hour you're inside Disney World, every minute even. If you have to spend hours getting a pass that you could spend $100 to get instantly, it's just a no-brainer.

haveyoumetmark

I'm so lost. I thought the whole point of the DAS was so you don't have to buy Genie +?
The point of DAS is to accommodate those with disabilities so everyone can enjoy the parks. It’s designed as an alternative standby. Genie+ is a separate offering that anyone can use to optimize their day.

Many people won’t find the need for Genie+ with DAS, but some do. I’m just illustrating what’s possible.

Jrb1979

I haven’t experienced crazy long lines at other parks (Universal, Herschend, Knotts) but I don’t go as often so it’s not super easy to compare.

Honestly I don’t see really long lines in Cali most of the time - just in Florida.
Any time I go to Cedar Point or Kings Island their top coasters are easily 2 hours most days.

haveyoumetmark

In one sentence, you've both beautifully described the current needlessly overcomplicated system for spending a day in an amusement park while also highlighting the quagmire from which Disney cannot climb out.
Thanks! EPCOT was a generous example with more stuff to do, but imagine that in a park like DAK or DHS and you can see why there is such a problem.

pigglewiggle

The point of DAS is to accommodate those with disabilities so everyone can enjoy the parks. It’s designed as an alternative standby. Genie+ is a separate offering that anyone can use to optimize their day.

Many people won’t find the need for Genie+ with DAS, but some do. I’m just illustrating what’s possible.

I knew what the point for DAS is, I guess I'm not understanding why if you have that, why would you also buy Genie +? But I see your posts explaining how that makes riding a lot of rides possible.

I'm guessing it would be illegal to tell those who have DAS that they aren't allowed to buy Genie? 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom