News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

JD80

This conversation has to happen at least every 8 months where

1) Team Bootstrap thinks the peasants should not dare ask for a raise and should conform to their ideal "look". Everything was much more difficult when they were younger. Toss in some requisite "participation trophy" comment or comments about younger generations just don't get it.

2) Team Everyone Else rolling their eyes at Team Bootstrap.

Lilofan

This conversation has to happen at least every 8 months where

1) Team Bootstrap thinks the peasants should not dare ask for a raise and should conform to their ideal "look". Everything was much more difficult when they were younger. Toss in some requisite "participation trophy" comment or comments about younger generations just don't get it.

2) Team Everyone Else rolling their eyes at Team Bootstrap.
Working in a unionized environment you don't ask and expect a raise. Work through your union and union and company negotiate on raise, and cast vote on contract presented to them . Rinse and repeat every years.

Lilofan

I think it limits the number of applicants more than the applicants willingness to take the job.

25 years ago a ban on tattoos may have disqualified 1% of potential applicants, today it would probably disqualify 50%.

Probably true of things like piercings and non natural hair color also, what was a rebellious look when we were joining the workforce is fairly common now.
Tattoos are not just painful but painfully expensive. Seems like some have money to get them.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
This thread is hilarious.

I have a beard, some ink on my skin, and dress in what my stylish friend calls "skate-punk dad aesthetic". Sometimes my hair sports fun colors, but not always.

Guess who is professional enough - in spite of their appearance - to be in discussions with headhunters for high visibility and relatively well paid professional roles within [UNNAMED ICONIC CALIFORNIA BASED ENTERTAINMENT CONGLOMERATE]?

James Alucobond

I have a beard, some ink on my skin, and dress in what my stylish friend calls "skate-punk dad aesthetic". Sometimes my hair sports fun colors, but not always.

Guess who is professional enough - in spite of their appearance - to be in discussions with headhunters for high visibility and relatively well paid professional roles within [UNNAMED ICONIC CALIFORNIA BASED ENTERTAINMENT CONGLOMERATE]?
Guess who is not in a guest-facing customer service role for an entertainment company known most especially for appealing to children and maintaining a higher-than-normal standard for their staff in terms of appearance and attitude? Guess who did not agree to follow those standards when accepting a job?

No one is saying people who do not meet the Disney appearance standard are not capable and intelligent (at least not those who are actually talking about the topic rather than droning on about society at large). But Disney is within their rights to cultivate whatever image they want.

Lilofan

You just described some cast members that work for WDI. The Disney Look does not remotely apply to them.

GimpYancIent

Ahhhh so you are one of those behind the scenes, not in the publics face, full of self-importance people. Got it.

Castle Cake Apologist

Greeter is just an example.

One could have used a CM loading guests on rides.

Somewhat irrelevant, but that was their point. The person loading guests on rides is the greeter. For the most part, Operations Cast rotate different positions within their area every hour or so. Nobody is a "greeter" or a "ride loader," they're all Attractions Hosts and work every position within their ride (sometimes multiple rides, depending on the area and attractions) multiple times within their shift.

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Last night as we left Epcot, two clean cut security CMs with no tattoos walked past us in full costume. Disney Security, not OCSO, not CFTOD/RCID - actual Disney CMs.

In front of guests, they were describing some female guests in less than flattering terms (or extremely flattering depending on one's perspective), using language typically reserved for locker rooms and bars.

So much for professional appearance.

(yes, they were reported)

James Alucobond

Last night as we left Epcot, two clean cut security CMs with no tattoos walked past us in full costume. Disney Security, not OCSO, not CFTOD/RCID - actual Disney CMs.

In front of guests, they were describing some female guests in less than flattering terms (or extremely flattering depending on one's perspective), using language typically reserved for locker rooms and bars.

So much for professional appearance.

(yes, they were reported)
No one said appearance and attitude were directly connected.

TrainsOfDisney

A connection between appearance and professionalism has been implied throughout much of this thread.
As much as I do enjoy the “Disney Look” standards, it’s been fun over the years to have a slightly unprofessional appearance and end up in some really important places and see how people treat me and react to me.

Including working 3rd party at Disney and Universal (guess who was wayyyyyyy more welcoming and “inclusive” as the kids say haha).

Tony the Tigger

Maybe the answer really is to just pay CMs more money as an incentive for following the guidelines.
No.
Give them a raise! But that’s not going to help with the rental market. Will keep going up. Self inflicted, but that’s another story.

What’s this have to do with the new look and service standards again? 😂
The easy answer to high rent is always “make employers pay more” as if every company, large or small, can afford it. No attention paid to solving the problem of the high rent itself.
There exists a belief that wage will improve look and service standards rather than enforcement of standards.
Pay increases get an employer absolutely nothing these days in these kinds of jobs, with few exceptions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom