News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

Figgy1

Premium Member
Just adding my 2 cents as to people working in Disney kitchens and serving food. It's not the same as working at your average fast food establishment as they also have to deal with people with allergies &/or special diets. Disney's food handling protocols are on an entirely different level and the sheer volume of people going through a Disney restaurant on an average day is also on another level than many regular establishments. As for Disney employees on a whole "I don't know" is never an acceptable answer. If said employee doesn't know the answer to any question they must know how to find somebody with the answer. IMHO working there is not your average entry level job and the turnover at those positions has hurt customer service. Magic isn't free and everybody working for the Mouse with the level of CS expected should be able to afford a studio apartment if working full time

Last edited:

wdrive

Part of that is changing times. Allowing men to wear the same jewelry and hair styles as women is a cultural change and tattoos are becoming more popular.

The extreme nail polish colors, and jewelry still baffles me since hardly anyone is going to take a job or not because of that and there isn’t any cultural reason to allow more jewelry.

Post Covid they struggled getting staffing levels back to where they wanted them (and I believe still are to some extent) If someone’s showing up for a job interview and would be a perfect worker it makes no sense to reject them because they have a tattoo on their hand when you are literally desperate for people to fill these roles. But yes I agree it is also changing times.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And what’s the destination and who decides that? Is it the title? Is it the amount you make?

What jobs at a Disney park are entry level and what are good enough to be “destination”?

Jobs are paid based on what value they bring and the skill set it takes to do the job... because typically the skill set is derived from experience or training that make them more unique. Those factors funnel into what it usually takes to fill the job... when the supply of candidates that meet the criteria is weaker, wages go up, when the supply is greater, wages are weaker.

Jobs are not paid based on what the employer thinks the employee's life plans will be. So your question is futile.

It's on the employee's shoulders to make themselves valuable enough be able to secure a job that will sustain the life that they need. Not all jobs can sustain that... and not all employees have the same responsibilities to cover.

You shouldn't have to pay a greeter more because they happen to have more kids than someone else.

Vegas Disney Fan

Post Covid they struggled getting staffing levels back to where they wanted them (and I believe still are to some extent) If someone’s showing up for a job interview and would be a perfect worker it makes no sense to reject them because they have a tattoo on their hand when you are literally desperate for people to fill these roles. But yes I agree it is also changing times.
I don’t think anyone would disagree with this,
the argument is usually about what’s an acceptable level of individuality, a hand tattoo is different from a neck tattoo, dyed red hair is different from dyed purple hair, a full beard is different from a beard that reaches someone belly… everyone will have different levels of what they find “professional” or not, Disney needs to walk that fine line of fully staffed and the Disney image.

wdrive

Because money doesn't grow on trees. An employer doesn't get to just pay people based on emotions - There actually is math involved in what labor costs can be sustained by a type of business.

Hence the need to drop the ‘Disney Look’. Because not enough people wanted to work for such low wages while also adhering to Disney’s rules. The alternative was raise wages and keep the old appearance rules.

wdrive

I don’t think anyone would disagree with this,
the argument is usually about what’s an acceptable level of individuality, a hand tattoo is different from a neck tattoo, dyed red hair is different from dyed purple hair, a full beard is different from a beard that reaches someone belly… everyone will have different levels of what they find “professional” or not, Disney needs to walk that fine line of fully staffed and the Disney image.

Absolutely. But you start getting to difficult territory when you say this tattoo is okay but this one isn’t. This worker can’t work here anymore because they have this shade of blue hair but this worker over here is okay because theirs isn’t quite as blue but still blue.

Personally I find it depends on their role. I don’t really mind if the bar staff in my resort have a tattoo, whereas the character attendant with Cinderella covered in Star Wars tattoos stands out a little more. But again this is difficult territory that I’m sure Disney wants to avoid

Vegas Disney Fan

Your destination is up to you.

If your destination is an entry level position and the position satisfies your personal Maslow's Hierarchy, great.

If not, you and you alone, are responsible to find a destination to satisfy your needs.
For many a PT Disney job is a retirement destination, Disney should capitalize on those people and offer 2-3 day shifts with more flexibility, I’d love to work PT at Disney after I retire but I’m not going to take a position that requires 100% availability, there’s ways other than offering more money to become an attractive employer.

TrainsOfDisney

You shouldn't have to pay a greeter more because they happen to have more kids than someone else.
Nobody claimed that?

I’m also not sure who a “greeter” at WDW is? The greeters at attractions rotate through different positions at attractions for example.

They used to have greeters at some of the resorts, not sure on their pay but they appeared to be “type cast” so were possibly under entertainment, not sure cause that was a different era at Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hence the need to drop the ‘Disney Look’. Because not enough people wanted to work for such low wages while also adhering to Disney’s rules. The alternative was raise wages and keep the old appearance rules.
I believe the discussion of late has not been the boundaries the policy set - but Disney's own employees failing to apply it.

That's not a wage issue - that's a employee expectation and management issue.

Lilofan

For many a PT Disney job is a retirement destination, Disney should capitalize on those people and offer 2-3 day shifts with more flexibility, I’d love to work PT at Disney after I retire but I’m not going to take a position that requires 100% availability, there’s ways, other than money, to become an attractive employer.
I think with parks open early to late not much flex to choose what shift , just 3 days availability.

Nubs70

Nobody claimed that?

I’m also not sure who a “greeter” at WDW is? The greeters at attractions rotate through different positions at attractions for example.

They used to have greeters at some of the resorts, not sure on their pay but they appeared to be “type cast” so were possibly under entertainment, not sure cause that was a different era at Disney.
Greeter is just an example.

One could have used a CM loading guests on rides.

Brian

Just adding my 2 cents as to people working in Disney kitchens and serving food. It's not the same as working at your average fast food establishment as they also have to deal with people with allergies &/or special diets. Disney's food handling protocols are on an entirely different level and the sheer volume of people going through a Disney restaurant on an average day is also on another level than many regular establishments. As for Disney employees on a whole "I don't know" is never an acceptable answer. If said employee doesn't know the answer to any question they must know how to find somebody with the answer. IMHO working there is not your average entry level job and the turnover at those positions has hurt customer service. Magic isn't free.
Valid points. This is why Disney pays their QSR and TSR H/Hs (front of house non-tipped) at least $18/hour, around $3 more than the McDonalds restaurants in the area. WDW Cooks start at $21/hour right now. If they paid the same as McDonalds, there would be little reason to work for Disney and do more when they can make the same amount at McDonalds.

The higher than average wages are perfectly appropriate given, as you pointed out, that they have elevated expectations beyond a McDonalds (or really most restaurants) worker.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

This one always bugs me - the kids weren't handing trophies to themselves. Lazy parents who didn't want to deal with their kid being upset about not having a trophy invented that so they didn't have to parent.

It's also not something remotely new. Basically anyone who is currently in their 40s were getting these as kids if they played sports, and I'd guess it goes back much further than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom