New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Guests have been bringing food into Disney Theme Parks ever since Disneyland opened. In fact Holiday Hill (before it was the Matterhorn) had benches and picnic tables so guests could have their food.

And Disneyland has long had picnic areas OUTSIDE the park with a policy that guests are welcome to that area - not in the park itself. But they've long stopped enforcing it for fear of confronting guests. Instead you have people taking up seating at your QSR while they spread out their KFC family meal.

dadddio

Acting like Disney should be the same as a run of the mill company is what is ridiculous. Unless of course, you just want Disney to be run of the mill and lose what made Disney different to start with.
We're still talking about looking at the results of a test to determine whether future changes should be made, right?

dadddio

You could say "every company does construction and hence has to impact guests" - and you'd be right. But you'd also be ignoring that Disney does construction DIFFERENTLY solely for the purpose of minimizing impact to it's guests and to ensure the level of show and customer service it strives to deliver.

Just because you want to TEST does not mean there is only one way to do it or that necessarily you SHOULD do it. Disney's choice was a path that BLINDSIDES people, forces ALL your customers to be impacted... etc. Any decision to test in your production environment comes with the assessment of the impact, risks, and consequences of doing so. Disney failed to live up to its own standards when it comes to impacting the guest.

"test" is not a blanket kitchen-pass for 'screw up everyones experience'. They must still be done in ways that do not ruin the show and experience Disney set out for.

Or maybe you think if Disney wanted to experiment with a projection show instead of fireworks... that if Disney just swapped the show out without telling anyone and say "hey, BTW, we're doing a test.. we hope you like it!" - all would be good.. because you know.. it's just a test!
Given that none of us know the results of any of the recent tests, how can you argue that any of them negatively impacted 'all' guests (or even most guests or most guests who attempted to eat lunch at BoG?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Given that none of us know the results of any of the recent tests, how can you argue that any of them negatively impacted 'all' guests (or even most guests or most guests who attempted to eat lunch at BoG?

By the simple fact guests that wanted to stand-in line could not.
Second, by the simple fact that guests that approached the restaurant knowing the past conditions expecting a wait less than an hour, and getting return times more than an hour away and being told to return at that time, when they didn't want to leave and return.

ALL guests who would normally eat at BOG as walk-ups were impacted by this test - that is a fact. If they liked the offering or not does not change that statement.

YOU introduced the extra claim of 'negatively impacting' guests which tries to move the goal posts. That is not what I stated in my post.

BrianV

Or maybe you think if Disney wanted to experiment with a projection show instead of fireworks... that if Disney just swapped the show out without telling anyone and say "hey, BTW, we're doing a test.. we hope you like it!" - all would be good.. because you know.. it's just a test!

That is a somewhat hyperbolic argument, don't you think? Going from an actual line to a virtual line is not equivalent to having a projection of fireworks. Whole you're at it, maybe they could allow you admission to let you into the waste treatment facility instead of the MK, as a test...

RayTheFirefly

That is a somewhat hyperbolic argument, don't you think? Going from an actual line to a virtual line is not equivalent to having a projection of fireworks. Whole you're at it, maybe they could allow you admission to let you into the waste treatment facility instead of the MK, as a test...
It's not just going to the virtual line if they run out of tickets, therefore not allowing you to eat there...

BrianV

It's not just going to the virtual line if they run out of tickets, therefore not allowing you to eat there...

Well, yes and no. Did the test reduce the daily capacity (or throughput) of BOG? If yes, then I agree. If no then the virtual line has simply allowed the line to get so long, longer than it could prior, such that you reach the daily capacity of BOG and must cut the line off to allow transition to the table service restaurant. Makes sense that more people would be amenable to standing in a virtual line than an actual one.

I suppose they could allow the virtual line to go on indefinitely, but the dual purpose of BOG as a lunch and dinner location prevents that. Imagine a return time at 5:30, after dinner has already started.

dadddio

By the simple fact guests that wanted to stand-in line could not.
Second, by the simple fact that guests that approached the restaurant knowing the past conditions expecting a wait less than an hour, and getting return times more than an hour away and being told to return at that time, when they didn't want to leave and return.

ALL guests who would normally eat at BOG as walk-ups were impacted by this test - that is a fact. If they liked the offering or not does not change that statement.

YOU introduced the extra claim of 'negatively impacting' guests which tries to move the goal posts. That is not what I stated in my post.
I added that because you took the position that the company should not have done this testing because it would impact 'all' guests. Surely, you aren't of the opinion that the company shouldn't test things that positively impact guests, are you? Personally, I say that if they are going to impact my vacation positively, go for it. I welcome those pleasant surprises.

"I don't have to wait in a line in the sun with my cranky preschoolers? Instead, we can go ride some rides and just come back to eat? Thankyouverymuch."

flynnibus

Premium Member
I added that because you took the position that the company should not have done this testing because it would impact 'all' guests. Surely, you aren't of the opinion that the company shouldn't test things that positively impact guests, are you? Personally, I say that if they are going to impact my vacation positively, go for it. I welcome those pleasant surprises.

"I don't have to wait in a line in the sun with my cranky preschoolers? Instead, we can go ride some rides and just come back to eat? Thankyouverymuch."

You are just being argumentative. My statement is very clear in my post:
"Any decision to test in your production environment comes with the assessment of the impact, risks, and consequences of doing so"

To make the argument of 'it doesn't matter, it's just a test' flies in the face of the above statement which is best practice for anyone trying to maintain a consistent environment or image or business. And to add to an excuse that "everyone else does it..." just further cheapens what we used to call "the Disney difference".

You tried to split hairs over 'all guests' - all guests were impacted. How much and how negatively is part of the assessment one would do. Not simply say "well its just a test".

If Disney wants to be so nonchalant with it's "testing" - then it should be just as loose with giving people compensation for their inability to maintain their own corporate image.

dadddio

You are just being argumentative. My statement is very clear in my post:
"Any decision to test in your production environment comes with the assessment of the impact, risks, and consequences of doing so"

To make the argument of 'it doesn't matter, it's just a test' flies in the face of the above statement which is best practice for anyone trying to maintain a consistent environment or image or business. And to add to an excuse that "everyone else does it..." just further cheapens what we used to call "the Disney difference".

You tried to split hairs over 'all guests' - all guests were impacted. How much and how negatively is part of the assessment one would do. Not simply say "well its just a test".

If Disney wants to be so nonchalant with it's "testing" - then it should be just as loose with giving people compensation for their inability to maintain their own corporate image.
Or maybe they did the assessment that you suggest and came to different conclusions than you did.

Captain Chaos

Without using any offensive language, I think many people's opinions would change the first time they are turned away from a restaurant/attraction.
But Ray, turning people away is GREAT customer service, don't ya know? ing off your guests is how every company should be run. hey, so what, only tests right? off guests who then may not decide to ever, you know, RETURN. off those guests so they can then spread their negative experience to everyone who listens. In turn, causing others to decide to never head on down to good old WDW where they love their guests and treat them like royalty... all the while pick pocketing them like common thieves in a crowded area.

As for the people on this site who go to great lengths to defend everything Disney, nah their opinion won't change. They will just say how magical is was when they got turned away from dining at a restaurant, told they couldn't ride an attraction, or how awesome it was when their 5 year old little princesses was refused the chance to meet Anna or Else cause Disney said they weren't allowed to.

Those magical moments!!!

BrianV

Without using any offensive language, I think many people's opinions would change the first time they are turned away from a restaurant/attraction.

In fairness, you are possibly correct. However, for me, being turned away or told there is an hour wait would have the same effect of me missing out. Anyway, this discussion has clearly become a butter-battle. No winners and lots of entrenched opinions.

Maybe we should shake it up and ask how Universal would do and and do it better! (Joke!)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Or maybe they did the assessment that you suggest and came to different conclusions than you did.

Oh I certainly believe they did think about it. The difference is in what they think matters and what risks they are willing to take with customers. There are plenty of examples of late to show how Disney has lost their way with customer service and mindsets like "so what" or "its only temporary" seem to win the day in the discussion. Leading to situations like customers having disruptive policy changes being applied without notice during their very expensive vacations, customers being booked into hotels that are major construction sites, etc.

The company is drifting further and further from the company they all hired into.

RayTheFirefly

In fairness, you are possibly correct. However, for me, being turned away or told there is an hour wait would have the same effect of me missing out. Anyway, this discussion has clearly become a butter-battle. No winners and lots of entrenched opinions.

Maybe we should shake it up and ask how Universal would do and and do it better! (Joke!)
Agreed on the stalemate :cool:.

For me, the whole QS thing was great, because (I agree with others; the line always moved very fast) my trips to WDW are almost always spontaneous. Which means I've never been able to get a dinner res at BOG on such short notice and have never had dinner there :(. So being able to wait in a quick moving line to still experience the place was ideal for me. This new procedure makes it extremely difficult to eat there for someone like me, because I have no idea what kind of return time they'd give me, if they even still had tickets. But, I guess TDO will end up doing whatever they want, and I'll have to live with it. I just got my AP three months ago, so I have to live with it at least 9 more months. ;)

ninjaprincesst

I'm pretty sure this is illegal. I remember when mm+ was first being introduced senators were stating that disney can't say to their guests if you stay at one of our hotels will give you a better experience then our day guests will get. If I'm paying the same price as everyone else is to get the same experience I should be aloud to wait in whatever line I want. This scares me because whose to say this idea won't be incorporated to rides, meet and greets, whose to say that disney won't say since are most popular rides waits are so long it's just going to be mm+ with a few paper fast pass available. It's coming to the point day guest (florida residents, people staying of property) won't get the same experience as people staying on property. Boo to you disney walt would be upset
But you are not paying the same, Disney resort guest are paying to stay at a Disney resort so they are allowed to give them perks for staying onsite.

ninjaprincesst

I received an email asking if we wanted BOG lunch reservations for our trip in less than 2 weeks. Went through the process online and received a time of 11:30-12:00. Pretty surprising considering how short of a time it is before I get there. I am bypassing it, however, because we already have lunch reservations at CRT and Liberty Tree Tavern, and also dinner reservations at BOG another day. Anyone else find it odd they would send an email out like this for a trip that is less than 2 weeks away and still have availability for such a coveted time?
Not really since the reservation window is now about 15 to 20 days before arrival and sometimes less. I have heard of people being given the invitations when they checked into their hotel.

stevehousse

Well, yes and no. Did the test reduce the daily capacity (or throughput) of BOG? If yes, then I agree. If no then the virtual line has simply allowed the line to get so long, longer than it could prior, such that you reach the daily capacity of BOG and must cut the line off to allow transition to the table service restaurant. Makes sense that more people would be amenable to standing in a virtual line than an actual one.

I suppose they could allow the virtual line to go on indefinitely, but the dual purpose of BOG as a lunch and dinner location prevents that. Imagine a return time at 5:30, after dinner has already started.

The line already gets cut off at 2pm for the dinner transition.

If u really had preschool aged kids, u would know that if u told them they can eat at The Beasts Castle and then had to tell them they had to wait 2 hours later to eat there , they wouldn't have it! You would simply be eating somewhere else and disappoint your kids in the process.

Before u could have just waited 20 minutes in line (even when the line is long it never takes more than 20-30 minutes for guest to get through) there is no arguing that this is impacting guests in a negative way. And to think, how many actual real world people would even know to get to BOg right away to get a ticket is just dumb. What most of us on here know about how wdw works, the average guest does not and I'm sure there were plenty of people being turned away saying I have to wait 2 hour later to eat fast food? No thanks!

It's just idiotic that u think turning guests away is good customer service! U really need a deep pixie dust cleaning out of ur eyes dude...(and I still think U work for Disney trying to spin this in a positive way. No right minded person is ok with being told to come back 2 hours later to eat fast food)

wogwog

A message passed on to me by a cast member this afternoon and just announced as far as she knew. I personally don't really know what this means to anyone but since this thread has been a bit about the food service at the parks maybe some of you care. I only eat in the parks during Epcot F & W by walking the lake. Have not reserved a table in a decade or so.

"As an enhancement to the Guest experience, the booking window has been adjusted for dining reservations at Walt Disney World Resort. Beginning August 13, reservations can be made for available seatings up to 20 minutes in advance directly by Guests using the My Disney Experience website or via the My Disney Experience mobile app on iOS devices."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom