New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

stevehousse

It'll be interesting to see how this "test" turns out. Even as a local, I have not been able to make it into BOG for lunch. It's not for lack of trying so much as I don't want to wait in a never ending line just to eat a $30 lunch. Personally, I'd rather they just open Tortuga Tavern for longer than 3 hours on "crowded days" and I'd just go there. They have a great topping bar and I've never had a bad meal at that location. Come on MK team, you've got tons of restaurants just lying around, RE-PURPOSE AND USE THEM!
I completely agree...it's silly they don't have Tortuga Tavern and the Tomorrowland terrace open with revamped menus that r more upscale like BOG...upscale fast food is a huge trend that Disney is silly to sit around and waste. Just look what it has done with BOG! Not everyone likes eating burgers and nuggets for every meal...

Brewmaster

I'm not sure what you miss here.

Walking up to a counter (or entering into a terminal) and ordering your food is fast food, or "Quick Service" for the fancy folk. If they serve burgers or roast beef sandwiches, it's the same difference. The quality of the food is irrelevant to the method of ordering.

Fast food: Go to the counter, order, wait for food, go find table
BoG: Go to kiosk, order, go find a table, food brought to you.

A subtle difference, but a difference.

I love this argument, reminds me of the Kenny Rogers Roasters episode (Seinfeld). "It's not fast food, it's good food served quickly"
image.jpg

dadddio

Now ur just being petty. It doesn't matter if it's Pecos bills or BOG, or McDonald's or Panera Bread or Chipotle...fast food is fast food...why do u insist on coming to all the FP paper threads and defending every single one...I will ask again, are u sure u don't work for the mouse's social media brigade...cuz from all your "positive" posts about reverting back to FP, it sure seems like u r. I just find it odd that u get so defensive of the Mouses actions even when 99% of people on here don't really agree with u...stop trollin!
Read your post. Now read any of my posts in this thread. Who's defensive again?

Why do you get so upset just because others have a different opinion than you do?

Last edited:

Mike S

Probably just as weak as "I paid for my ticket, I have a RIGHT to stand in line!"
After paying hundreds of dollars for tickets I think people have certain expectations of what they can do at Walt Disney World. Waiting in line to do something they want to do is one of them, not going up only to find out all the tickets are gone or being told to come back hours later rather than waiting in a line that could have been shorter than waiting for the time on the ticket.

BrianV

If you don't like waiting in lines, then WHY are you at Walt Disney World? That is a weak and frankly pathetic argument.

I still can't believe there are people defending this as "good guest service", this is totally the opposite of that. Good guest service would be opening the other food and beverage locations across the park. Good guest service would be not requiring dining ressies 180 days out. It would have been Disney taking the extra step and designing the BoG bridge with some type of themed canopy where Guests could wait in the shade instead of having umbrellas. Telling a guest that walks up for a QUICK SERVICE meal that they need a "reservation" is flat out inexcusable.

Good guest service is giving guests what they want. Some guests like you love to wait in line. I would rather not. The key to keep everyone as happy as possible on average. And knowing that some people (ahem) will likely never be happy whatever you do.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I am all for Disney trying to make things easier (and prettier) but this just seems WAY too complicated.
The question is, who are they making it easier for? The guest, or themselves?

If they wanted to make things easier or more convenient for guests, why not do as @AJH219 mentioned and build a canopy for guests to be shaded, or as @stevehousse and @NMBC1993 suggested and open Tortuga Tavern or Tomorrow Land Terrace for more than a few hours at a time, or revamp one of them to be more on par with BoG?

They may want to do these things, but it wont help boost profits immediately to make the bottom look better and create the appearance that MM+ is increasing revenue. They are in full on 100% recoup mode to get as much money back in the coffers after spending 2 billion dollars. Its why we are seeing hard ticket events to anything they can think of, and Im sure more are coming. Its why we wont see anything BIG in the parks for awhile. You could bring up Avatar Land, but as we all know, its years away (or longer) and they HAD to start it because it had already been a few years since they announced it and with DA opening they had to make some type of announcement. How far along is the construction? lol. And please, nobody bring up FLE. They took the cheapest route possible with everything they built, and yes, that includes the mine train. If you watch the Disney trip planning DVD or the commercials, why do they show the computer generated, artist rendering of FLE before they show the real thing? When they do show the real one, its close up shots of Belle, or Gaston flexing his arms.

Call the new BoG procedure whatever you want, it doesnt change what its true purpose is, which is not for guest benefit. Sure, you dont have to stand in line, but why dont they want you standing in that line?

AEfx

No one wants to wait in line, but there are better solutions (many listed on this very thread) that telling hungry people to come back in two hours.

It's too late now, of course, but you know what I am starting to think would have been the best idea of all? Not to build the frakkin' place to begin with. At least not like this.

As much as I like and know we had a dire need for NFL, just in terms of placemaking, it was a ridiculous decision to make one of the headliners, and arguably the most noticeable visually, a hybrid restaurant. Or a restaurant to begin with, really. They would have been far better off to make a really nice B&tB walk-thru attraction (or, gasp...dark ride? so maybe we got 2 instead of just 1?). They could have left SWSA and just given it a refurb to bring it up to Disneyland's standards, and put the money for the hill into this area instead.

It's clear Disney knew this - that's the point for this concept to begin with. They knew they couldn't build this area up and so heavily promote it as an attraction (I've seen more TV commercials with BoG footage than any other thing at WDW in quite some time) just to make it a six-months-out reservation sit down only. They simply did not build enough capacity to do what it is they are doing, in what is the only real B&tB themed area that exists (and is one of the very most perennially popular Disney classics).

If you go over to Deb's website and read some of the many reviews, I'd say a good half of them (even folks that liked the place, it rates rather highly in general) mention concern about the militaristic nature of the place - "guards" stopping you from even crossing the bridge to look at the outside of the buildings, for cryin' out loud. If this place were next to even a small-scale B&TB dark ride or walk-thru attraction, and wasn't promoted as being an attraction in and of itself, we wouldn't be having this problem.

Mike S

It's too late now, of course, but you know what I am starting to think would have been the best idea of all? Not to build the frakkin' place to begin with. At least not like this.

As much as I like and know we had a dire need for NFL, just in terms of placemaking, it was a ridiculous decision to make one of the headliners, and arguably the most noticeable visually, a hybrid restaurant. Or a restaurant to begin with, really. They would have been far better off to make a really nice B&tB walk-thru attraction (or, gasp...dark ride? so maybe we got 2 instead of just 1?). They could have left SWSA and just given it a refurb to bring it up to Disneyland's standards, and put the money for the hill into this area instead.

It's clear Disney knew this - that's the point for this concept to begin with. They knew they couldn't build this area up and so heavily promote it as an attraction (I've seen more TV commercials with BoG footage than any other thing at WDW in quite some time) just to make it a six-months-out reservation sit down only. They simply did not build enough capacity to do what it is they are doing, in what is the only real B&tB themed area that exists (and is one of the very most perennially popular Disney classics).

If you go over to Deb's website and read some of the many reviews, I'd say a good half of them (even folks that liked the place, it rates rather highly in general) mention concern about the militaristic nature of the place - "guards" stopping you from even crossing the bridge to look at the outside of the buildings, for cryin' out loud. If this place were next to even a small-scale B&TB dark ride or walk-thru attraction, and wasn't promoted as being an attraction in and of itself, we wouldn't be having this problem.
A ride would have been great. Also a castle much better than the tiny thing we got whose forced perspective doesn't even work right. Very sad when compared to Eric's castle right next door.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

First and foremost, there was a need for another restaurant in the Magic Kingdom. The demand for Be Our Guest is unprecedented, and I don't particularly "get it". I've been in there, I had decent food but it's simply not worth the effort to try and go back under the current circumstances. If the "test" becomes permanent, it might get me back in the door.

To your point about an attraction - yes, they could have done a ride but the same could be said about the rest of Fantasyland's shortcomings in general. It fell short from an attraction lineup standpoint. It either needed another D ticket, or one of the D-tickets to be an E-ticket. They could have put a Beauty and the Beast dark ride where Enchanted Tales with Belle currently sits. I actually believe they could still do this with the current setup, just eliminate the show portion and keep the holding rooms with the mirror/door effect. I won't get into my other fanboy wish for Fantasyland, but that's also an option too.

RSoxNo1

A ride would have been great. Also a castle much better than tiny thing we got whose forced perspective doesn't even work right. Very sad when compared to Eric's castle right next door.
The Beauty and the Beast Castle is something they should have looked at when they were fixing the rock work sitelines. That castle went up pretty quickly and isn't particularly large. I think the forced perspective would have worked much better if the castle was maybe twice the size. Here's a photo showing the actual size...

r-1351209093-BeOurGuest2.jpg

Mike S

The Beauty and the Beast Castle is something they should have looked at when they were fixing the rock work sitelines. That castle went up pretty quickly and isn't particularly large. I think the forced perspective would have worked much better if the castle was maybe twice the size. Here's a photo showing the actual size...

r-1351209093-BeOurGuest2.jpg
Yeah I remember the pictures. Twice the current size would have definitely helped.

AEfx

First and foremost, there was a need for another restaurant in the Magic Kingdom. The demand for Be Our Guest is unprecedented, and I don't particularly "get it". I've been in there, I had decent food but it's simply not worth the effort to try and go back under the current circumstances. If the "test" becomes permanent, it might get me back in the door.

Unprecedented, but not really unpredictable. You take what is arguably the most beloved modern Disney franchise without park presence in the MK, design a "castle" for the characters, make uniquely themed rooms inside with different effects/experiences and the most detailed interiors Disney has done since ToT - and then make the only way to even walk past it, let alone go inside, is to either eat a very expensive very limited choice meal that requires bookings 180 days in advance, or stand in line to purchase a "counter service" meal at lunch. Finally you promote the heck out of it on national television as one of the centerpiece experiences of the "all new Fantasyland" which (also arguably) is considered the centerpiece of MK, the most popular theme park in the world.

Oh, and did I forget to say - "Meet and Greet"?

It ain't rocket science. ;)

I think Disney knew this, as I'm sure originally it was going to be full service only, but they realized how daft it would be to do so. That's why while some folks are saying it should go all TS, I actually think it would be best to do the opposite - go fully counter service, and then expand the heck out of the hours and the menu. Open at 10AM and stay open until park close. The most people get to see it that way, and the elimination of the current limited hours (that I haven't seen any folks mention) could help offset the financial loss of TS for a few hours at night.

They can't unring this bell - and the MK did need another dining option (though, I'd argue, there are plenty of places in the MK to eat they just refuse to open them up, LOL), but this is going to always be a point of contention. I see folks saying that there were complaints about the line - imagine the complaints if it went TS only, you can't even walk across the bridge without a 180 day reservation - all wrapped up in beautiful facade with an interior that most guests will never see.

If that happens, guest services better buckle up because there are going to be a lot of screaming kids who are told "look don't touch" essentially, and not even allowed to look at the outside very closely, who's parents are going to be stark raving mad they booked trips after watching the TV commercial where they could go to the "Be A Guest" at Beast's castle.

Mike S

Unprecedented, but not really unpredictable. You take what is arguably the most beloved modern Disney franchise without park presence in the MK, design a "castle" for the characters, make uniquely themed rooms inside with different effects/experiences and the most detailed interiors Disney has done since ToT - and then make the only way to even walk past it, let alone go inside, is to either eat a very expensive very limited choice meal that requires bookings 180 days in advance, or stand in line to purchase a "counter service" meal at lunch. Finally you promote the heck out of it on national television as one of the centerpiece experiences of the "all new Fantasyland" which (also arguably) is considered the centerpiece of MK, the most popular theme park in the world.

I think Disney knew this, as I'm sure originally it was going to be full service only, but they realized how daft it would be to do so. That's why while some folks are saying it should go all TS, I actually think it would be best to do the opposite - go fully counter service, and then expand the heck out of the hours and the menu. Open at 10AM and stay open until park close. The most people get to see it that way, and the elimination of the current limited hours (that I haven't seen any folks mention) could help offset the financial loss of TS for a few hours at night.

They can't unring this bell - and the MK did need another dining option (though, I'd argue, there are plenty of places in the MK to eat they just refuse to open them up, LOL), but this is going to always be a point of contention. I see folks saying that there were complaints about the line - imagine the complaints if it went TS only, you can't even walk across the bridge without a 180 day reservation - all wrapped up in beautiful facade with an interior that most guests will never see.

If that happens, guest services better buckle up because there are going to be a lot of screaming kids who are told "look don't touch" essentially, and not even allowed to look at the outside very closely, who's parents are going to be stark raving mad they booked trips after watching the TV commercial where they could go to the "Be A Guest" at Beast's castle.
After you put it like that full counter service sounds much better.

RSoxNo1

I think you may be simplifying this too much. It's not super expensive - it's comparable to Tony's, and less expensive than many Epcot restaurants. It's also very large.

They did a great job with the interior of the restaurant, the environment is really cool, but I don't think the food is at the level of some other restaurants on property.

They planned for this to be very popular and it was. The restaurant has a large capacity - I can't think of a table service restaurant that's larger (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). They could try to expand the seating, but the kitchen would also need to be expanded as well. They could also try to create an equally desirable restaurant to try and offset these crowds. Personally, I think the end game is that it switches entirely to table service, but the lunch menu price point would be more in line with the price point for the Plaza Inn. Count me on board with that, provided they put the 3 cheese Monte Cristo on the menu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom