New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

flynnibus

Premium Member
To me though it is a profit loss by turning all those guests away. If u let someone wait in line to eat at a restaurant that cost what $15 dollars at BOG for lunch per person (just a guess). If u turn those guests away they will eat somehwre else yes, but only spend $10 on their meal at another restaurant (BOG prices are the highest quick service price) so essentially they are gonna lose out on profit for turning paying guests away...

They are turning people away... but not losing money compared to before because the slots are still filled (from the other 'line'). What they are losing is 'opportunity cost' because they can't convert demand into sales.

Where they stand to lose money is if the return people don't actually return.. and they have no standby waiting to fill the void.

This is why all attractions need to keep standby lines... the standby keeps you at 100% utilization by filling in no shows.

If you don't have standby, then you must give out more passes assuming some amount of no-shows. And when they all show up, you make everyone suffer by having to crowd people in or increase waits to fit everyone.

cw1982

It's been open for over a year and a half. What it says more than anything is... MK is being under served in dining options that you open a new style and it's so popular people will wait an hour to eat there.

When you have that kind of demand... you should FILL it with more capacity... not spend so much time and effort to figure out how to shape the demand into something you can fit and then cut everyone else off.

The lesson learned is... people want to eat in this kind of place.. so listen to your customers Disney.

Exactly. The fact that Disney is trying to modify the way guests dine here without adding more capacity is just one more example of TDO not wanting to spend the money needed to add appropriate capacity. If they really don't want to add more capacity, they need to just go ahead and make this place ADR-only, since that's essentially what a fastpass is if there is no standby queue. At least that way guests will know whether or not they will be eating there during their trips. For some people, being able to plan what they eat ahead of time is a big deal, so the system used in this test could either really cause a problem or force those guests to simply not eat there, which means either less money spent elsewhere since bog is the most expensive qs, or money not spent in the parks at all if the guest's choose to eat before or after their visit for the day instead.

flynnibus

Premium Member
People did, people complained. The biggest complaint about BOG lunch from day one was the line. The fact that Disney had to provide umbrellas for people kinda shows how insane it was.

So your solution is... NO WAITING FOR YOU! Don't like how your steak tastes? FINE.. I'll just take it away and give you nothing! That solved the problem right? No more bad tasting steak.

Disney already had a solution for those looking to not wait in line.. it was FP.

The idea that 'people complained about lines..' justifies 'removing lines as an option' is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week.

Tigger1988

So your solution is... NO WAITING FOR YOU! Don't like how your steak tastes? FINE.. I'll just take it away and give you nothing! That solved the problem right? No more bad tasting steak.

Disney already had a solution for those looking to not wait in line.. it was FP.

The idea that 'people complained about lines..' justifies 'removing lines as an option' is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week.
Reading comprehension is key. The question was why even test this if no one had a problem with the line. The answer is people DID have a problem with the line and vocalized it. Facts are facts.

The insane reaction to a TEST I'm seeing is the most ridiculous thing I've encountered all week.

jencor

I hear that Disney is not losing money if a guest decides to eat somewhere else, but I disagree. Not sure how many out there are like me, but if I wanted to eat at BOG and got a return time for two hours, yes I may go eat somewhere else, but not at one those other over priced QS locations, cause I chose BOG because it was different. My wife has to return to the hotel for a nap due to health reasons and I know many take afternoon breaks. Why not just say I do not want this hassle and eat somewhere else. For us it may well be off Disney, where I can get a good meal at a lower price. Nice to have options and they helped me choose it.

Mike S

Exactly. The fact that Disney is trying to modify the way guests dine here without adding more capacity is just one more example of TDO not wanting to spend the money needed to add appropriate capacity. If they really don't want to add more capacity, they need to just go ahead and make this place ADR-only, since that's essentially what a fastpass is if there is no standby queue. At least that way guests will know whether or not they will be eating there during their trips. For some people, being able to plan what they eat ahead of time is a big deal, so the system used in this test could either really cause a problem or force those guests to simply not eat there, which means either less money spent elsewhere since bog is the most expensive qs, or money not spent in the parks at all if the guest's choose to eat before or after their visit for the day instead.
The funny thing is that they don't even need to spend money to add capacity. As I've said before the needed capacity is already there in the park, they just stupidly keep it shuttered for most of the year and in one case it's never open. Simply infuriating. Why do they like having EVERYONE in the park converging on TWO (three with BOG but only during lunch) quick service locations?!?!?! It's not a great experience for the guest at all especially at the #1 most visited theme park in the world. If you have the facilities, KEEP THEM OPEN TO SPREAD THE CROWDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rant over.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Reading comprehension is key. The question was why even test this if no one had a problem with the line. The answer is people DID have a problem with the line and vocalized it. Facts are facts.

I point back to the steak complaint...

People aren't mad Disney is testing something (ok, there is a small gripe for people who are surprised by it and impacted on their vacation) - people are mad about the SOLUTION being tested. And your responses basically say "they did this because people wanted it". No... complaining about how your steak is cooked doesn't mean you don't want steak anymore.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I hear that Disney is not losing money if a guest decides to eat somewhere else, but I disagree. Not sure how many out there are like me, but if I wanted to eat at BOG and got a return time for two hours, yes I may go eat somewhere else, but not at one those other over priced QS locations, cause I chose BOG because it was different.

If BOG can only serve 1,000 people.. and is still serving 1,000 people.. they aren't losing money compared to before. They are turning away people they can't serve in the first place. They are only losing money if people change their eating style.. or if they were accepting overrun before and not now (example... staying open later than they should to fit the line).

The fact you may choose to eat off property if you didn't get into BOG is the same now as it was before. Disney didn't fail to fill a table when they turn you away.. the table is already filled.

jencor

If BOG can only serve 1,000 people.. and is still serving 1,000 people.. they aren't losing money compared to before. They are turning away people they can't serve in the first place. They are only losing money if people change their eating style.. or if they were accepting overrun before and not now (example... staying open later than they should to fit the line).

The fact you may choose to eat off property if you didn't get into BOG is the same now as it was before. Disney didn't fail to fill a table when they turn you away.. the table is already filled.

I disagree, BOG did not lose money, but Disney did cause I decided not to eat in Disney. I did not say BOG was losing money, but that Disney is losing money. I took my business elsewhere when I was not going to in the first place. I would of waited a bit to get in, but not willing to go elsewhere.

AEfx

You just made my point. If eating somewhere else is a valid option for those who didn't wish to wait in an hour line, then it is a valid option for those who don't want to wait to eat at their return time.

Okay....but you are ignoring the fact that one is standard accepted practice world wide (standing in line at a fast food joint when you start to get hungry) vs. being told to wait in line to get a ticket, come back to said fast food joint in several hours in order to get in line again, just to buy a sandwich, which is unprecedented and absurd even for Disney standards.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I disagree, BOG did not lose money, but Disney did cause I decided not to eat in Disney. I did not say BOG was losing money, but that Disney is losing money. I took my business elsewhere when I was not going to in the first place. I would of waited a bit to get in, but not willing to go elsewhere.

Only if you could get a return time and turn up your nose at it.

But how many people are going to be in the back of fantasyland at 12pm and say "I can't eat at BOG? preposterous! I'm heading to Crossroads!" By the time you got to your hotel, and then off property like you described, you are probably an 90mins later anyways. People are either going to skip the meal or eat somewhere else in the park. At that point people are too committed in time and location to really see defecting to off-property for a QS lunch as a threat.

People barely leave property now to eat off-property to save a buck.. I doubt being snubbed at BOG would shift that.

jencor

Only if you could get a return time and turn up your nose at it.

But how many people are going to be in the back of fantasyland at 12pm and say "I can't eat at BOG? preposterous! I'm heading to Crossroads!" By the time you got to your hotel, and then off property like you described, you are probably an 90mins later anyways. People are either going to skip the meal or eat somewhere else in the park. At that point people are too committed in time and location to really see defecting to off-property for a QS lunch as a threat.

People barely leave property now to eat off-property to save a buck.. I doubt being snubbed at BOG would shift that.

We are going to disagree here. One, I have to leave the parks due to wife's health and we have a car, so it really is not that much longer to drive out of the park and find something to eat (and a lot of people go back to rest, pool time or whatever) and a lot of times I save money and get a hotel off premises anyway, so I am already there. We go at slower times and we will leave parks at 1 and be back in the park before 4 with bellies full, relaxed and ready to go.

dadddio

Okay....but you are ignoring the fact that one is standard accepted practice world wide (standing in line at a fast food joint when you start to get hungry) vs. being told to wait in line to get a ticket, come back to said fast food joint in several hours in order to get in line again, just to buy a sandwich, which is unprecedented and absurd even for Disney standards.
You as others keep making that argument by tacking on 'fast food' as if BoG is serving the same hamburger that every other place on property is even though that's not the case. If BoG wasn't better than fast food, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

cw1982

You as others keep making that argument by aging on 'fast food' as if BoG is serving the same hamburger that every other place on property is even though that's not the case. If BoG wasn't better than fast food, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

QS is Disney's way of offering "fast food." By design, that's exactly what it is. You order and pay at a counter, you sit down, you eat, you leave.

dadddio

QS is Disney's way of offering "fast food." By design, that's exactly what it is. You order and pay at a counter, you sit down, you eat, you leave.
Here it is from another direction:

At many of WDW's restaurants the way to ensure that you get to eat there is to make reservations. If you don't get a reservation, you can show up and see if they can accommodate you, but there's no guarantee.

This description has fit lunch at BoG for quite some time.

stevehousse

At many of WDW's restaurants the way to ensure that you get to eat there is to make reservations. If you don't get a reservation, you can show up and see if they can accommodate you, but there's no guarantee.

It hasn't though, they only turn people away when the clock hits 2pm when BOG lunch is over. Just like te rides, if u r in line, u will still get in. BOG lunch I would compare to a Chipotle or Panera. It's still fast food but more upscale...fast food is fast food...

cw1982

First of all, if you look at my first post on page 16 I already have said that TDO simply needs to go ahead and make BoG available by ADR only all day if they're going to keep using this kind of system. I'm not retyping my entire answer. Feel free to scroll back up if you want to see my reasoning.

Secondly, no, your description has not fit BoG lunch until they started this test. Before, people had the choice of whether or not they wanted to wait in line for QS if they were unable to get the fastpass. It was a given that diners would have the choice to wait in line or go elsewhere if they did not feel like waiting. That is not what happens with ADR restaurants, and that is not what is happening now.

BrianV

Trying to picture this in general (situations may vary, like yours)...

Setting: 12noon outside BOG

Daughter: I'm hungry, can we have lunch.
Dad: Sure, let's go to Be Our Guest.
CM: I'm sorry, there is no more space at Be Our Guest Today!
Dad: That's it, then, I'm leaving the Magic Kingdom. In fact I'm leaving all of Disney World. Back to International Drive for us.
Daughter (crying): But it's only noon. I wanted to see the parade and go on rides after lunch. Can't we eat somewhere else?
Dad: It is either Be Our Guest or we're leaving all of Disney World to find food now!

cw1982

Dad: That's it, then, I'm leaving the Magic Kingdom. In fact I'm leaving all of Disney World. Back to International Drive for us.
Daughter (crying): But it's only noon. I wanted to see the parade and go on rides after lunch. Can't we eat somewhere else?
Dad: It is either Be Our Guest or we're leaving all of Disney World to find food now!

But what you're saying almost implies that the guests are leaving WDW mad and eating outside of the park just to stick it to the MK. That's not the way I read the post you quoted at all. What I took from it was that they were deciding to not wait two hours for their return time because they prefer to use part of that two hours to leave for a mid-day break anyway, and since they are staying offsite, it's more practical to NOT pay Disney prices for QS food if it's not coming with the BoG experience, particularly if they were about to leave for a few hours.

The thing of it is, though, many people do leave during the day and come back in the later afternoon or early evening, especially when spending the day at MK. So I wouldn't be surprised if the person you're quoting is far from the only person who makes that choice, in fact I hear people say on these very forums all the time that this is their preferred way to experience the parks; if people who take said break can't eat at the place they wanted to while on property, might as well eat something cheap offsite and save a little cash.

That's not to say that people aren't getting upset about not being able to wait in line for an upscale fast food restaurant. As others have pointed out, people expect to be able to choose to wait for fast food. That's typically how it works. But while I doubt anyone is storming out of the MK and deliberately eating elsewhere to get back at Disney, I'm sure there are people who would decide to not eat QS in the MK if their money is not going to be spent on the things they were wanting, particularly if they were on their way out for a break anyway.

Last edited:

CDavid

Again, it is common enough for guests to take an afternoon break from the parks, even off-site guests, and these are the folks who potentially may eat off-site as well (since they're leaving anyway). Everyone doesn't tour the parks the same way, and while the potential financial loss to Disney of people leaving the park is probably negligible, it is not the outlandish scenario you illustrate above. Overcrowded conditions (because Disney has shuttered some MK restaurants) during lunch at each of the parks quick-service locations (not just BOG) may well prompt those heading out soon anyway to just wait until they've left for lunch.

This point, however, just is not a major issue with Be Our Guest. The problem is Disney's solution(s) to the issue of demand exceeding supply at BOG for lunch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom