New Anna/Elsa standby procedure?

Mawg

They should do this for every attraction. Then on busy days if someone comes in at 6 PM, they can say all standby passes have been given out for the day for every attraction. You are welcome to eat, shop and walk around and look at what you're missing.

Since you can go standby more than once for an attraction, does this mean you can get your standby pass and then get in line and get another standby pass. If they try this for soarin don't you think people would do this, just get as many standby tickets as they can for the day until they are all gone by 9 AM. This may work for a meet and greet but not for another attraction unless they can monitor it electronically.

rangerbob

OK, I don't understand these numbers that they are throwing out there. In one line they say only be handing out 80 passes per hour for the entire testing day and another it says only 9 Fast Passes per hour per day. The next part of this is also unclear. Do they hand out the 9am tickets at 9 and when they run out they send everybody away, and then start again at 10?

It sounds like this is going to be expanding to rides. They are really trying to send people into shops and restaurants more aren't they. They will need to add some serious shade locations around the parks if that is true as I can see lots of people just sitting around for long periods of times for their paper ticket to become active.

seascape

They should do this for every attraction. Then on busy days if someone comes in at 6 PM, they can say all standby passes have been given out for the day for every attraction. You are welcome to eat, shop and walk around and look at what you're missing.

Since you can go standby more than once for an attraction, does this mean you can get your standby pass and then get in line and get another standby pass. If they try this for soarin don't you think people would do this, just get as many standby tickets as they can for the day until they are all gone by 9 AM. This may work for a meet and greet but not for another attraction unless they can monitor it electronically.
It is not every attraction that is too busy and not just at WDW. I read yesterday that Universal is closing the line at 7 for EFG on busy days because its reached full capacity for the night. I think it's a good idea to close lines if there is no chance of getting on it. They should also have signs at both parks gates so people know before they pay and enter the parks that they know which attractions are closed.

TRONorail12

One of the other places they are testing this new system is also in the Magic Kingdom... should begin very soon, CM's at the location are already being trained on it.

Kman101

I'm more befuddled that the Jack Sparrow attraction was busy enough to warrant this test.... o_O

LOL. I agree. But at the same time, I think it just means that DHS clearly needs more attractions.

I like the idea. Something has to give with the long lines. More attractions would be nice but I like that they're at least trying something a little different.

tahqa

I didn't/don't believe that number. We waited in the FP line for *maybe*10-15 minutes and there were at least 6-7 groups in front of us.

Doing that math with those numbers means they spend 6 min with you.
I looked back at our video. From Anna walking over it was just over a minute. I stopped right before pictures which took maybe another minute. It was very efficient.

Agreed. Apparently the person that wrote the post has a CM child that works at MK and that's where the numbers are coming from.

tahqa

Always a reliable source! ;-)
My understanding (and you absolutely should not consider me a reliable source ;) ) is that the CM's are NOT told how many FP+ are ever available for a given attraction. Those are set and controlled centrally and are sort of considered trade secrets. Again, that's just my understanding.

GrumpyFan

This already happens in Paris, and works, though sometimes the queue to get your return time is just as long as the time you then have to wait in the M&G queue...

I think they do this in Tokyo as well.

It seems like a good strategy to get guests out of line, and allow them to do something else, other than wait for hours on end to see these two. Although, it seems like a vaguely familiar concept. ;)

I will be curious to see if they can automate the functionality and implement it using MDE and MagicBands. For guests who might not have MB, they could still use the paper tickets for their queue return time.

natatomic

My understanding (and you absolutely should not consider me a reliable source ;) ) is that the CM's are NOT told how many FP+ are ever available for a given attraction. Those are set and controlled centrally and are sort of considered trade secrets. Again, that's just my understanding.

No, it was never a big secret. It wasn't always something announced or on display, but if you wanted to know, all you had to do was ask. Or you could just go look for yourself. The computer with that information wasn't exactly under lock and key. I would say that a majority of the CMs just didn't really care enough to find out. However, I do NOT know how this works with FP+. I'm sure they could still ask, but I don't think there's a place they could go and look for themselves.

I like the idea. Something has to give with the long lines. More attractions would be nice but I like that they're at least trying something a little different.

Please tell me how much you like it when they run out of tickets before you can get one, and then you're not allowed to do the attraction at all. ;)

dadddio

I think they do this in Tokyo as well.

It seems like a good strategy to get guests out of line, and allow them to do something else, other than wait for hours on end to see these two. Although, it seems like a vaguely familiar concept. ;)

I will be curious to see if they can automate the functionality and implement it using MDE and MagicBands. For guests who might not have MB, they could still use the paper tickets for their queue return time.
If they incorporate this into MDE, it will be a win, in my opinion.

My only caveat is that if an attraction does not have an actual SB line, then the FP+ shouldn't count against your initial three.

GrumpyFan

There was talk of eliminating standby all together. This appears to be the trend in some way shape or form. If the end game is 10+ rides/shows/spectaculars per guest, they can use this new standby queuing system to ensure that no attraction has a true standby wait of more than 30 minutes... of course that partially eliminates many of the benefits of Fastpass+.

Perhaps it's time to re-think Fastpass and the strategy for queueing altogether. Part of the idea behind the original Fastpass, as they sold it to the public years ago, was to get guests out of line so they could "experience other things", like gift shops and restaurants, at least that's what Disney was hoping. However, it didn't exactly work out the way they were hoping, as most guests just went to ride other attractions.

Standing in long lines is one of the biggest frustrations for most guests, and a big reason why many choose not to return.

It makes me wonder whatever happened to the "virtual queue" trial they did with RNR a few years back. I know some of the concept made its way to Dumbo, but I thought there was supposed to be a wider roll-out of the idea to other attractions.

Maybe revise the system for major attractions where lines grow more than 30 minutes long. The Fastpass(+) functionality would still exist and allow guests the opportunity to reserve a time before entering the park, or even once in the park, but it would only get them into the (shorter?) queue line with guests who got their queue entry time at walk up. There wouldn't be a Fastpass line anymore though.

Timekeeper

AnnaElsaWaitTime300Min.JPG

Timekeeper

If return passes are physically handed out, versus using a computerized kiosk (original FP system), what prevents a guest from collecting more than one return pass? Would the same CM have to be on pass-hand-out shift the entire time, and have to "remember" each guest that collected a pass as to avoid giving two passes to one guest?

natatomic

Okay, the more and more I think about this, the dumber and more convoluted it seems.
Last time I checked, the ratio of FP+ to standby was 4:1 (80% to 20%). I don't think that has changed, so please correct me if I am wrong. So if they can guarantee a less than 10ish minute wait for FP+ers (i.e., 80% of people in line) and then guarantee a less than 30 minute way for standby-ers (i.e. 20% of people in line), then WHY don't they just eliminate this confusing, segregated two-line business to one line and guarantee a wait of no more than 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure everyone would LOVE to wait no more than 20 minutes for an attraction all day, and I'm pretty sure you could eliminate the DAS cards at that point.

POOF! Equality for all!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom