New Adventureland bridge open (pic)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think you missed his point, he was inserting the Segway lawsuit into the frivolous million dollar everyday walmart lawsuits that have become so commonplace in society today.

No, I'm not missing his point. He's going after low-hanging fruit because it's easy. They flattened a bridge to (supposedly) be ADA-compliant. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything after that is just smoke-filled coffee house cr#p.....

janoimagine

No, I'm not missing his point. He's going after low-hanging fruit because it's easy. They flattened a bridge to (supposedly) be ADA-compliant. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything after that is just smoke-filled coffee house cr#p.....

I guess I just read it a different way. :shrug:

ImaYoyo

QFT. In the end, we'll have a flat land with rides to accommodate all of the lazy people that don't feel like using their puny little sticks to get around.
You know, there are those out their that use a wheelchair because they were out fighting for your freedom. What an ignorant comment. You should take that back if you have any shame. My brother happens to be a soldier in a wheelchair after an *IED*(spellchecker hates me) took off his feet in Afghanistan. Are you calling him lazy? Because it sure seems like it.

RSoxNo1

You know, there are those out their that use a wheelchair because they were out fighting for your freedom. What an ignorant comment. You should take that back if you have any shame. My brother happens to be a soldier in a wheelchair after an AED took off his feet in Afghanistan. Are you calling him lazy? Because it sure seems like it.

I don't know the original poster of this comment, but I would argue that your vitriole should be split between the original poster and those individuals that use wheelchair's or ECV's that don't really need them.

Scuttle

It would not surprise me one bit if in 10 years there are no curbs on Main Street.

I wouldn't be suprised if the treehouse is gone in 5 years. This sucks. We have lost such great things because of this. I don't mind the bridge at all as long as the theming comes back, but losing rides like 20,000 and the skyway and soon to be the treehouse because of this really stings. I am all for making things more accesible to handicapped persons, but come on let's meet both ways here.

This thread is beginning to get really scummy and stingy. :(

As for the bridge, I like how it looks so far. I hope they give it appropriate decoration soon, I miss the Adventureland sign!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I wouldn't be suprised if the treehouse is gone in 5 years. This sucks. We have lost such great things because of this. I don't mind the bridge at all as long as the theming comes back, but losing rides like 20,000 and the skyway and soon to be the treehouse because of this really stings. I am all for making things more accesible to handicapped persons, but come on let's meet both ways here.

Yes, those two rides were done in by the ADA.....:brick:

DonaldDoleWhip

I don't know the original poster of this comment, but I would argue that your vitriole should be split between the original poster and those individuals that use wheelchair's or ECV's that don't really need them.
And how are you supposed to judge who really needs their wheelchair or ECV? I bet there are lots of people who you might think don't need them, but they actually have a severe health condition that you wouldn't know about based on looks. I know people like that, and they received way too many ugly looks from strangers in the parks, which really put a damper on their time in Disney.

Disney is hard enough for people in wheelchairs, since everybody is such an aggressive walker or stroller-pusher. They don't deserve the dismissive remarks from people here.

And how are you supposed to judge who really needs their wheelchair or ECV? I bet there are lots of people who you might think don't need them, but they actually have a severe health condition that you wouldn't know about based on looks. I know people like that, and they received way too many ugly looks from strangers in the parks, which really put a damper on their time in Disney.

Disney is hard enough for people in wheelchairs, since everybody is such an aggressive walker or stroller-pusher. They don't deserve the dismissive remarks from people here.

I agree with this. My mother has a condition in her legs that makes them go numb if she walks too much (she hates Animal Kingdom for this particular reason), and she could very well stumble or fall at any given moment if it gets bad enough. We normally have to purchase an electric scooter for her, but we could not afford one on our trip a few weeks ago. We had to take MANY rests for her, and it took a lot away from the fun she had. This is not including the fact that she recently got a pacemaker for her heart and her arms are beginning to go numb every once in a while as well.

Otherwise, she looks like an average person. :shrug:

Tom

Beta Return
Hey! Did anyone notice that the new Adventureland bridge is open?

It's flat now, which will make it easier for all guests to traverse. Now that's courtesy if I've ever seen it!

I can't wait to see what the new sign looks like. It will probably look a lot like the previous sign, but newer.

Kamikaze

You know, there are those out their that use a wheelchair because they were out fighting for your freedom. What an ignorant comment. You should take that back if you have any shame. My brother happens to be a soldier in a wheelchair after an *IED*(spellchecker hates me) took off his feet in Afghanistan. Are you calling him lazy? Because it sure seems like it.

Just because your brother needs it legitimately does not mean everyone that uses one does.

That isn't a swipe on your brother.

But there are tons of people who use them just because they are too lazy to walk.

juniorthomas

hey! Did anyone notice that the new adventureland bridge is open?

It's flat now, which will make it easier for all guests to traverse. Now that's courtesy if i've ever seen it!

I can't wait to see what the new sign looks like. It will probably look a lot like the previous sign, but newer.

classic.

DonaldDoleWhip

Just because your brother needs it legitimately does not mean everyone that uses one does.

That isn't a swipe on your brother.

But there are tons of people who use them just because they are too lazy to walk.
Of course it's convenient to assume the worst of people. Even if most people in wheelchairs actually need them, there will be a few people who are lazy. Therefore it is okay to look down on everyone who looks like they can walk but is using a wheelchair or ECV. And while we're at it, let's walk in front of them and force them to suddenly break and hurt their back, because it's possible that they're just lazy so we should teach them a lesson. :rolleyes:

If anyone deserves this attention, it's the 7 year-olds in strollers. Not the people in wheelchairs who may actually need them (odds are, you'll never know for sure). At least this change will actually be helpful to the people who do need the help. That should be what matters.

juniorthomas

Of course it's convenient to assume the worst of people. Even if most people in wheelchairs actually need them, there will be a few people who are lazy. Therefore it is okay to look down on everyone who looks like they can walk but is using a wheelchair or ECV. And while we're at it, let's walk in front of them and force them to suddenly break and hurt their back, because it's possible that they're just lazy so we should teach them a lesson. :rolleyes:

If anyone deserves this attention, it's the 7 year-olds in strollers. Not the people in wheelchairs who may actually need them (odds are, you'll never know for sure). At least this change will actually be helpful to the people who do need the help. That should be what matters.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with that. I'm far less likely to assume someone in a wheelchair doesn't actually need to be in one than I am when I see an 8 year old in a stroller. Sure, its a convenient place to nap, but so is the hotel room, right?

Down with stroller pollution.

durangojim

I'll miss the hump on the bridge. I have fond memories of pushing my kids in their strollers to the top and then letting them coast down the other side, usually while they would make a noise to listen to their voices oscillate as they go over the friction strips. Oh well, nothing ever stays the same:shrug:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Meet both ways? I assume you mean something like "meet halfway", but how is the person who can't walk supposed to meet us halfway? Only half the attractions need to be accessible? Or only half the walkways need to be convenient for those who can't walk? We're talking about a bridge here, and flattening it makes the trip much easier for a group of people who, generally, face obstacles doing normal things that the rest of us could never dream of.

It also happens to benefit those in strollers and those who hate stroller (because there is less of a chance of getting hit by an out of control stroller on a flat bridge than on a humpback bridge).

And if the treehouse is gone in 5 years, it won't be the ADA that did it in...it'll be the lack of crowds.

Plenty of vitriol should be aimed at poeple using wheelchairs/ECVs out of laziness, but yoyo's comment was approrpriate nonetheless, because this stems from the bridge flattening. I think we can all agree that flattening the bridge for the lazy people would be unnecessary and a waste of money. And we can all agree that Disney didn't flatten it for those people, but instead for those who legitimately need a wheelchar/ECV/stroller. The complaint that yoyo was responding to is only a valid one if you assume that virtually all of the wheeled-transport users are doing so out of laziness, which is patently ridiculous.

I'll miss the hump on the bridge. I have fond memories of pushing my kids in their strollers to the top and then letting them coast down the other side, usually while they would make a noise to listen to their voices oscillate as they go over the friction strips. Oh well, nothing ever stays the same:shrug:

Indeed, I'll miss the same thing, along with the exasperated look on my wife's face as my son and I laughed up a storm. But the change is logical and for a good cause.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom