20​
38​
253​
18​
19​
20​
2​
350​

The studios appear to sleep 4, the 1BRs sleep 5 with that pull down single bed that they have in some other Disney hotels. 2BRs sleep 9 with that same minibed.

This is, um, way too many studios. Why bother doing DVC if you're not going to have a door and a kitchen?

Mike730

LevelPodStudioStudio LO1BR2BR DedicatedGVTotal
1​
4​
11​
15​
2​
4​
17​
1​
22​
3​
3​
29​
3​
3​
2​
40​
4​
3​
29​
3​
3​
2​
40​
5​
3​
29​
3​
3​
2​
40​
6​
2​
24​
3​
3​
2​
34​
7​
2​
24​
3​
3​
2​
34​
8​
2​
20​
3​
3​
2​
30​
9​
4​
20​
2​
1​
27​
10​
4​
18​
2​
24​
11​
4​
17​
2​
1​
24​
12​
3​
15​
2​
20​
38​
253​
18​
19​
20​
2​
350​

The studios appear to sleep 4, the 1BRs sleep 5 with that pull down single bed that they have in some other Disney hotels. 2BRs sleep 9 with that same minibed.

This is, um, way too many studios. Why bother doing DVC if you're not going to have a door and a kitchen?

I'm not sure what you mean by "a door" but the kitchen range is definitely not the main reason people buy into DVC. The studios at many resorts book up immediately at the 11 month window. You have a set number of points a year and you can stretch those points(more vacations, longer stays, more expensive resorts) by foregoing a larger room. I won't be surprised when all these studios are booked up immediately at the 11 month window too.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you mean by "a door" but the kitchen range is definitely not the main reason people buy into DVC. The studios at many resorts book up immediately at the 11 month window. You have a set number of points a year and you can stretch those points(more vacations, longer stays, more expensive resorts) by foregoing a larger room. I won't be surprised when all these studios are booked up immediately at the 11 month window too.
A door = 2 rooms. Separating me from my children. I know lots of people buy DVC to do studios, I am not a fan of that personally, if I was looking for studios I'd stay at All Star Movies or Port Orleans at WDW and BWPPI or Hyatt House at DLR and save thousands.

I am willing to pay for DVC to have a room without my children in it. But to each their own.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Didn't realize it worked this way. Thank you for the explanation.
It doesn’t always. Aulani went on sale 10 years ago this month. It’ll be on sale for years to come. But typically Disney’s made their money back within a year of putting the resort up, and then has 2-3 years of pure profit as they sell the rest of the resort.

The expectation is that this particular resort will sell out extremely quickly. The previous Disneyland DVC at GCH is the fastest selling in DVC history. They did apparently cancel the WDW DVC planned for 2023, which would’ve sold much slower.

Darkbeer1

Didn't realize it worked this way. Thank you for the explanation.

At one point my wife and I looked into DVC but came to the conclusion that we have no idea what the parks will be like in 15 years.
Let's do some rough estimate math of Timeshares in general.

You buy in for a week in a "room". Let's say that is $20,000. That is $1,040,000.

Take away the costs to promote and get you to sign, and let be generous in gifts and bonuses to sales folks, and say 20%, plus the $40,000.

You are left with $800,000 to build a condo. And how much do they cost in the real world.

Now, you pay yearly fees to cover the property taxes, property maintenance, etc.

Leaves a good healthy margin in profit.

No need to borrow much money in advance.

If Disney builds a traditional Hotel, all costs are paid by Disney in advance.

The room revenue covers labor, property maintenance, taxes and a big mortgage.

Much more risk and a long time to recoup the investment.

The 4th Hotel didn't pencil out without the Tax rebate program by the city. Since Disney lost the rebate, they pulled the project.

No issue with a guest funded DVC tower.

52 members pay $20,000

truecoat

Let's do some rough estimate math of Timeshares in general.

You buy in for a week in a "room". Let's say that is $20,000. That is $1,040,000.

Take away the costs to promote and get you to sign, and let be generous in gifts and bonuses to sales folks, and say 20%, plus the $40,000.

You are left with $800,000 to build a condo. And how much do they cost in the real world.

Now, you pay yearly fees to cover the property taxes, property maintenance, etc.

Leaves a good healthy margin in profit.

No need to borrow much money in advance.

If Disney builds a traditional Hotel, all costs are paid by Disney in advance.

The room revenue covers labor, property maintenance, taxes and a big mortgage.

Much more risk and a long time to recoup the investment.

The 4th Hotel didn't pencil out without the Tax rebate program by the city. Since Disney lost the rebate, they pulled the project.

No issue with a guest funded DVC tower.

52 members pay $20,000
It seems to me someone on the WDW side pointed out how this is profit now vs profit later or short term vs long term. I'll have to do some searching for his post or series of posts.

DanielBB8

Sadly, I just sold my timeshare at Hilton before the pandemic at 20% of what I paid for it. I realized that I used it enough at Carlsbad, Las Vegas, Hawaii, and Orlando. I owned it for 15 years. I did one timeshare exchange for 1 week at Disney's Old Key West Resort, which was very nice. From the math, it would be worth it if hotel rooms kept on increasing in room rates, but it didn't happen that way. Rooms are increasingly discounted at many tourist spots. The maintenance costs, that you must pay every year or other year depending on the plan, appear to exceed the actual costs of purchasing the timeshare. Why are they charging me over $1,000 in maintenance costs for one week ($142 per night), when the same quality room is sold on the open market for $200 per night? I also noticed that many timeshare properties sell rooms on the open market quite cheaply and in a package price for entice new owners. That's what I'm paying for too. They aren't discounting my maintenance costs due to paying customers.

The pandemic ensured that you can't use your timeshare as before. You can't even fly out of the country today. If you're in the market for DVC, try to see if any DVC owners want to bail during this pandemic.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Sadly, I just sold my timeshare at Hilton before the pandemic at 20% of what I paid for it. I realized that I used it enough at Carlsbad, Las Vegas, Hawaii, and Orlando. I owned it for 15 years. I did one timeshare exchange for 1 week at Disney's Old Key West Resort, which was very nice. From the math, it would be worth it if hotel rooms kept on increasing in room rates, but it didn't happen that way. Rooms are increasingly discounted at many tourist spots. The maintenance costs, that you must pay every year or other year depending on the plan, appear to exceed the actual costs of purchasing the timeshare. Why are they charging me over $1,000 in maintenance costs for one week ($142 per night), when the same quality room is sold on the open market for $200 per night? I also noticed that many timeshare properties sell rooms on the open market quite cheaply and in a package price for entice new owners. That's what I'm paying for too. They aren't discounting my maintenance costs due to paying customers.

The pandemic ensured that you can't use your timeshare as before. You can't even fly out of the country today. If you're in the market for DVC, try to see if any DVC owners want to bail during this pandemic.
DVC has always held its value better than other timeshares, but resale prices for several DVC resorts have fallen considerably in the last several months to a year, particularly 2 of the beach resorts (Vero Beach, Aulani), the 2 resorts Disney completed selling most recently (Polynesian, Grand Floridian), and, for whatever reason, Boardwalk. Most people seem to think the bottom is still to come.

jmuboy

DVC has always held its value better than other timeshares, but resale prices for several DVC resorts have fallen considerably in the last several months to a year, particularly 2 of the beach resorts (Vero Beach, Aulani), the 2 resorts Disney completed selling most recently (Polynesian, Grand Floridian), and, for whatever reason, Boardwalk. Most people seem to think the bottom is still to come.

Aulani was a gamble. GREAT (gorgeous) hotel and location with A LOT to do on the property alone. But its an expensive location to BUY into. And Disney has struggled to sell. There are lots of pros/cons of DVC but the reason it has maintained its value in comparison to other companies is its location AT the parks. Which is why the Vero, Aulani and Hilton Head resorts are always in less demand. That said, I think WDW is clearly over saturated (for now) in DVC units. Disney clearly agrees by canceling the new "Reflections" DVC property. Plus they literally opened a brand new DVC property with hundreds of units to sell just 10 week before the pandemic hit the USA.

However, I still think the DL Resort (post Covid) can easily support another 350 units of DVC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom