New 2013 WDW Ticket Prices

lazyboy97o

Really now? That's interesting. So they're just licensing from Disney? I would imagine then, that other than that - Disney makes no money off that park either? Didn't realize that.

In terms of payments, Disney gets licensing fees and a small cut of the gate and merchandising. For design, they're only allowed to hire Walt Disney Imagineering, so Disney likes the big elaborate projects in Japan because that's a way for them to make money.

None of the other international resorts are majority owned by Disney either.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No offense but I have some issues with your last sentence. Does it make you feel better to yell at a front line cast member or front line leader about an issue they have no control of? These changes affect them as well....Yes they get in to the parks for free but they don't see any benefit from the price increase. Personally if I were them I would be less likely to help you if you were rude and yelling at me. Just remember that if you are going to give someone a "bad" day
I would never survive a job in retail. I would be the guy yelling back...and then later that day receiving my pink slip;) It's the nature of the job that if you work in a retail, customer facing job you are going to hear complaints.

I don't want to put words in the mouth of the original poster, but I read it that they were not just complaining about the price increase in general. They were upset with the fact that they were not able to renew their pass before the price went up because the system was down. I think this is a valid complaint. Having dealt with the Disney website I have no doubt that the person is telling the truth. The site is regularly a mess. Can't figure out how a company that size can't figure out something as basic as a website.

luv

My point is, no one, not even the rubes, buys 1-day tickets anymore. The general public doesn't know a lot, but they do know "going to Disney" is a multi-day trip. As for locals, there's APs, and there's usually the 3 or 4 day pass for like $130. And multi-day admissions look better and better the more single-day prices go up.

My point is, the 1980s model, where people drove over from Daytona for the day and bought a one-day ticket to MK, has passed.
I thought you meant there was a better price for a one-day ticket. Couldn't wait to check this thread and see if there was a better deal! Was feeling pretty stupid for not being able to find the better deal!

Some people still buy one-day tickets. Probably not too many, but some. Promise. Until recently, I'd buy them for people! But the tickets are just too expensive for me right now...cannot be shelling out $100/person for a day in the MK. Now I tell people how much they are and ask if they still want to go. :)

BoarderPhreak

In terms of payments, Disney gets licensing fees and a small cut of the gate and merchandising. For design, they're only allowed to hire Walt Disney Imagineering, so Disney likes the big elaborate projects in Japan because that's a way for them to make money.

None of the other international resorts are majority owned by Disney either.
Gotcha. Interesting.

ParentsOf4

I totally agree with your point, but I would also say that a lot of people who do 1 or 2 weeks at WDW spend a greater number of days at MK than other parks. Especially people with young kids -- I know two families who recently went down for a week and both spent 3 days at MK and only 1 at each of the other parks. That also jacks up the attendance at MK relatively to the others but doesn't involve 1 day passes.
Those families demonstrate one of WDW's many problems today. If it wasn't for MK drawing guests to WDW, attendance at WDW's other 3 theme parks would plummet. MK opened in 1971 and corporate Disney has been milking that cow for over 40 years. Even after collecting billions in revenue, they haven't been able to recreate the "magic" of the Disney brothers. Ultimately, corporate Disney lacks the vision and imagination of their founders.

Corporate Disney's plan to improve profits is to simply increase ticket, food, resort, and merchandise prices. For a company founded on creativity, their lack of creativity is astonishing.

Big C 73

As I stated earlier in this post if Disney would lower prices, and keep and improve their high quality then more people would come for high quality at an affordable price. More people will eventually equal more profit, and I don't think the big wigs understand that.
FORMULA= Lower Prices + Disney Magic & Quality = Higher attendance = Bigger profit in the long run = Everyone' is happy

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As I stated earlier in this post if Disney would lower prices, and keep and improve their high quality then more people would come for high quality at an affordable price. More people will eventually equal more profit, and I don't think the big wigs understand that.
FORMULA= Lower Prices + Disney Magic & Quality = Higher attendance = Bigger profit in the long run = Everyone' is happy

The formula they are following is more: flat attendance + cut costs + raise prices = much bigger profits.

As a short term business model they will have much higher profits by raising prices than they would be lowering them and increasing attendance. Long term they are digging a huge whole by not focusing on upkeep and maintenance. Long term the higher price strategy could still work if they reinvest some of the profits back into the parks to keep things fresh and keep people coming back. See Universal model. It ain't like those guys are cuttin prices or anything.

Big C 73

With the amount of people they have coming in daily they could still focus on maintenance from those profits.

I agree with the statement about reinvesting back into the property, they need to be placing new things in the parks instead of patting theirselves on the backs and watching Universal about to steal their crown, and I for one do not want to see that happen.

Although I just recently joined as a member to this site, I've been visiting Disney World since it first opened and remember my father, a pilot, flying us over the Magic Kingdom while it was being built.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned getting a Chase Disney Visa card that pays rewards that can be used for just about anything at Disney World, including hotels/motels, food, and merchandise, including park tickets. It pays 1% back for regular purchases, but 2% for food, fuel, and any purchases with Disney. I pay my card off several times each month and am now working on acquiring enough rewards to pay for all the food purchases for a several day visit to the Epcot Food & Wine Festival this fall. For those of you that use credit cards and don't keep a balance that costs interest, it is a great deal.

RSoxNo1

We'll know Tuesday. I don't think it will happen for 2012. Give it a few years...who knows. My prediction is for the 2012 report DCA bumps out IOA as the #6 domestic park (if not in 2012 it will happen in 2013 with first full year of Carsland and possibly a drop at IOA from people delaying for Potter 2.0 to open). MK up 3% to 4% with the other 3 WDW parks between flat and 1% increase. IOA up 5% to 7% with USF flat to 1% increase. I have no insider knowledge, just my guesses really.
Why would you think MK would increase 3-4%? New Fantasyland only soft opened in October.

RSoxNo1

I don't see the need for the Premier Passport at this point. It went from $849 to $979. Previously, it was worth it if you already had a non-FL resident Disney World AP and were making one trip of 3 days or more to Disneyland. For me, this means that I will be spending less money on tickets at the two resorts because I simply won't be going as much. Bravo.

Big C 73

Disney is turning many people away because people simply do not want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something that is not worth it,as proven by the last post. Disney is high quality, but they need to learn they are not worth THAT MUCH. I am not saying that Disney is not great, because they are one of the highest quality and magical companies I know. But, they need to get off their high horses if you know what I mean.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why would you think MK would increase 3-4%? New Fantasyland only soft opened in October.

Bits and pieces of FLE opened in June and July too, but you may be right, the 3-4% may be a bit too high. If the MK numbers would have been up 1 to 2% or so without FLE anyway they would only need a bump of about 2% from FLE which is about 300K guests. If the bulk of it was open for roughly 90 days that's an additional 3,000 guests a day during that time. No clue if that really makes sense or not, but they will most likely get a bump from FLE. It may not be sustained growth with people returning each year to do it, but people were excited to see something new and showed up to experience it.

When the numbers come out on Tuesday I will be the first to post a message admitting My guess was way off if the MK numbers are flat or down on the year.

disney4life2008

My hope would be that the consistent increase in ticket pricing would eliminate the hoards of people coming to WDW. However, it seems to get worse year by year. Park attendance is still high and lines are long. With that said, Disney has every reason to raise prices. People will pay a premium because it is WDW. In terms of one day tickets while it seems absolutely absurb on here - there are people who travel to Orlando and only want to do the MK. More than you may think.

About the seperate pricing for MK. It is ridiculous. As many have noted the New Fantasyland is a joke. It is still nothing more than princesses and pink. Mermaid is Nemo (though an enjoyable ride). Dumbo (I am not a kid) so i dont care. Beauty and the Beast - expensive resturant.

Nonetheless, I have an AP. But with the new prices I think this is it for me. I can not afford disney until I hit the big time. I love disney but its just becoming way to expensive. The food prices are a joke.. $10 for a burger and 10 fries, lol.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My hope would be that the consistent increase in ticket pricing would eliminate the hoards of people coming to WDW. However, it seems to get worse year by year. Park attendance is still high and lines are long. With that said, Disney has every reason to raise prices. People will pay a premium because it is WDW. In terms of one day tickets while it seems absolutely absurb on here - there are people who travel to Orlando and only want to do the MK. More than you may think.

About the seperate pricing for MK. It is ridiculous. As many have noted the New Fantasyland is a joke. It is still nothing more than princesses and pink. Mermaid is Nemo (though an enjoyable ride). Dumbo (I am not a kid) so i dont care. Beauty and the Beast - expensive resturant.

Nonetheless, I have an AP. But with the new prices I think this is it for me. I can not afford disney until I hit the big time. I love disney but its just becoming way to expensive. The food prices are a joke.. $10 for a burger and 10 fries, lol.
You are going to have to change your name on here;)

doctornick

Disney is turning many people away because people simply do not want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something that is not worth it,as proven by the last post.

People can say that, but I doubt attendance figures will bear it out. The reality is that the large price increases for tickets has not seemed to impact attendance much, if at all.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Although I just recently joined as a member to this site, I've been visiting Disney World since it first opened and remember my father, a pilot, flying us over the Magic Kingdom while it was being built.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned getting a Chase Disney Visa card that pays rewards that can be used for just about anything at Disney World, including hotels/motels, food, and merchandise, including park tickets. It pays 1% back for regular purchases, but 2% for food, fuel, and any purchases with Disney. I pay my card off several times each month and am now working on acquiring enough rewards to pay for all the food purchases for a several day visit to the Epcot Food & Wine Festival this fall. For those of you that use credit cards and don't keep a balance that costs interest, it is a great deal.

A better deal is to get a credit card that pays a much higher reward percentage. You can get 5% for fuel and groceries with a number of cards that pays you back in cash that you can use anywhere. A much better deal than the Disney Visa card.

Goofyernmost

A better deal is to get a credit card that pays a much higher reward percentage. You can get 5% for fuel and groceries with a number of cards that pays you back in cash that you can use anywhere. A much better deal than the Disney Visa card.
Even though I have a Disney Visa, I hardly ever use it. I get a better return on my regular CC. I do use it to pay for a Disney trip for anything related and traceable to Disney, but, otherwise, it just collects dust.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom