New 2013 WDW Ticket Prices

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If Disney would stop inflating their prices out of the reach of working families, they could in fact end up making more money as more people would be able to afford a WDW trip.:

I'm pretty sure that their goal is not to increase attendance at WDW (MK in particular) but to increase the average profit per guest (see MM+ and Nextgen project). If the prices reverted back to 1983 level adjusted for inflation (or $32 as quoted above) maybe the MK would get 25 million visitors a year but the lines would be ridiculous and the infrastructure would be stretched beyond its breaking point. The increase in revenues from added attendance would be more than offset by increased costs. In the end they have models looking at all different price points and they base increases on where they think they can maximize profits. It kinda sucks that this means a lot of average families get priced out, but Disney is far from alone in doing this.

Next Big Thing

You know, with the way Universal seems to become more aggressive regarding their pricing I wonder whether they might not do that in the future. But then, it might also create a bit of a backlash with the owners of other timeshares in the area.
They did offer PI annual passholders access to the citywalk clubs after PI closed, so they have done something like this in the past.

EvilQueen-T

Wasn't real happy with the timing. I've been trying for a couple weeks to renew my daughters annual pass (it was up on june 1st) but it kept saying sorry for our pixie dust check back later if you've switched to the new card (which they of course asked us to do back in march but when it was to early to renew her pass). then it said you have to do the renewal at a park or dtd...not cool for those of us who don't live right in the orlando area. i'm thinking someone is going to have a bad day when i get there in a couple weeks.

Maerj

I'm pretty sure that their goal is not to increase attendance at WDW (MK in particular) but to increase the average profit per guest (see MM+ and Nextgen project). If the prices reverted back to 1983 level adjusted for inflation (or $32 as quoted above) maybe the MK would get 25 million visitors a year but the lines would be ridiculous and the infrastructure would be stretched beyond its breaking point. The increase in revenues from added attendance would be more than offset by increased costs. In the end they have models looking at all different price points and they base increases on where they think they can maximize profits. It kinda sucks that this means a lot of average families get priced out, but Disney is far from alone in doing this.

Yeah, I realize this. I was just saying that if they didn't continually increase prices as much as they do, it would be a more viable option for more people. But it's their business and they are going to run it the way they want to.

I also never said that they should revert back to 1983 prices as you can't even get into inferior parks for that price. Just some moderation on the inflation, that's what I've been trying to say during this ongoing conversation. And I think that's about all I have to say about that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not matching universal at Epcot, DHS and DAK tells me they've already concluded that they will be passed in attendance.

We'll know Tuesday. I don't think it will happen for 2012. Give it a few years...who knows. My prediction is for the 2012 report DCA bumps out IOA as the #6 domestic park (if not in 2012 it will happen in 2013 with first full year of Carsland and possibly a drop at IOA from people delaying for Potter 2.0 to open). MK up 3% to 4% with the other 3 WDW parks between flat and 1% increase. IOA up 5% to 7% with USF flat to 1% increase. I have no insider knowledge, just my guesses really.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, I realize this. I was just saying that if they didn't continually increase prices as much as they do, it would be a more viable option for more people. But it's their business and they are going to run it the way they want to.

I also never said that they should revert back to 1983 prices as you can't even get into inferior parks for that price. Just some moderation on the inflation, that's what I've been trying to say during this ongoing conversation. And I think that's about all I have to say about that.

Sorry, I was referring to this post when talking about the $32. I wasn't trying to say that you said it.
Regarding the $18 price for a one-day passport in 1983...that's about $32 in 2013 money (inflation). Granted, WDW has much more to offer than it did in the 80s, but that price is nowhere near the astronomical rate of $90/$95 for a one-day pass. So folks might be making more money these days, but the rate has not risen in proper ratio with how much people make.

BoarderPhreak

Well, one thing to keep in mind - Disney is spending money on the parks... Just not "our" parks. Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris. None of these existed in 1983. But granted, that's not "our" problem, and making that money (investment) back is the function of *those* parks, not WDW. Just saying.

Cletus

The unlimited Express Pass cannot be beat. WDW has nothing like it. The Uni Express Pass makes it possible to actually vacation while at Uni vs. having to do WDW commando style and arriving home more tired than when you left.

Uni Preferred AP holders also often get steep room discounts. With these discounts, a room at a Uni Deluxe Resort often is less than a room at a WDW Moderate Resort.

I enjoy WDW resorts but, for what they are, they are so expensive. They weren't always like that. Just like ticket and food prices, WDW resort prices really have climbed.

We have AP's for Uni. Here is an example of our recent booking using our AP discount:

3 days at the deluxe Royal Pacific Resort with Unlimited Express for $112 +tax per night....OR
3 days at POP Value hotel for $120 + tax per night.

What a joke!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, one thing to keep in mind - Disney is spending money on the parks... Just not "our" parks. Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris. None of these existed in 1983. But granted, that's not "our" problem, and making that money (investment) back is the function of *those* parks, not WDW. Just saying.

Important distinction.. Disney is finding people to pay their bills :) Notice how few new attractions have prominent big name sponsors? The game of getting people to pay Disney's bills is not the same as it used to be.

lazyboy97o

Only the US parks have 100% of their funding come from Disney. One of your examples, Tokyo Disney Resort, gets 0% from Disney.

captainkidd

We have AP's for Uni. Here is an example of our recent booking using our AP discount:

3 days at the deluxe Royal Pacific Resort with Unlimited Express for $112 +tax per night....OR
3 days at POP Value hotel for $120 + tax per night.

What a joke!

This is why we make multiple trips to Universal each year. It's simply a better value. Now, so is Six Flags, but Universal is right on par with Disney.

Animaniac93-98

My point is, no one, not even the rubes, buys 1-day tickets anymore. The general public doesn't know a lot, but they do know "going to Disney" is a multi-day trip. As for locals, there's APs, and there's usually the 3 or 4 day pass for like $130. And multi-day admissions look better and better the more single-day prices go up.

My point is, the 1980s model, where people drove over from Daytona for the day and bought a one-day ticket to MK, has passed.

Then how else do you explain the gap in attendance between MK and the other parks? People still buy one-day, one-park tickets to "Disney World", go to MK, and then move on to something else in Florida. I know someone who did just this earlier this year. Some people only want to do one day at Disney, and pay accordingly.

I still believe assuming "no one" does, is fanboi bubble thinking.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then how else do you explain the gap in attendance between MK and the other parks? People still buy one-day, one-park tickets to "Disney World", go to MK, and then move on to something else in Florida. I know someone who did just this earlier this year.

If you buy a 5 day pass and use 2 days at MK and 1 at each other park doesn't that count as 2 days attendance for MK? So the gap is not just single tickets, but people spending more days of their multi-day pass at MK.

I definitely think there are people who buy a single day ticket and go to just MK. I was in Orlando for a weekend last spring on my way back from a beach vacation and I bought a 1 day ticket to MK for my family. Probably same goes for convention visitors who may also lean towards EPCOT due to the countries and restaurants. I would be curious to see how many people bought 1 day tickets to DHS or AK. While the number won't be zero, I would guess it would be less than half than MK.

Animaniac93-98

If you buy a 5 day pass and use 2 days at MK and 1 at each other park doesn't that count as 2 days attendance for MK? So the gap is not just single tickets, but people spending more days of their multi-day pass at MK.

I definitely think there are people who buy a single day ticket and go to just MK. I was in Orlando for a weekend last spring on my way back from a beach vacation and I bought a 1 day ticket to MK for my family. Probably same goes for convention visitors who may also lean towards EPCOT due to the countries and restaurants. I would be curious to see how many people bought 1 day tickets to DHS or AK. While the number won't be zero, I would guess it would be less than half than MK.

Agreed in full. I'd like to see the breakdown of both (doubt we ever will, though), but I don't think it's "nobody".

mendyvt10

Wasn't real happy with the timing. I've been trying for a couple weeks to renew my daughters annual pass (it was up on june 1st) but it kept saying sorry for our pixie dust check back later if you've switched to the new card (which they of course asked us to do back in march but when it was to early to renew her pass). then it said you have to do the renewal at a park or dtd...not cool for those of us who don't live right in the orlando area. i'm thinking someone is going to have a bad day when i get there in a couple weeks.

No offense but I have some issues with your last sentence. Does it make you feel better to yell at a front line cast member or front line leader about an issue they have no control of? These changes affect them as well....Yes they get in to the parks for free but they don't see any benefit from the price increase. Personally if I were them I would be less likely to help you if you were rude and yelling at me. Just remember that if you are going to give someone a "bad" day

Big C 73

If Disney went by inflation tickets would be $20.00 a person for one day. That is too cheap, but $90-$95 is overkill. In my opinion it should be anywhere from $52.00-$69.00. They need to think about poorer families that may only get one chance in a lifetime to enjoy the Vacation Kingdom, but they can't because admission is way too high.
If they want to keep middle class coming I don't think they should raise the prices anymore for a longtime regardless of what Universal does, stand your ground. If you offer better deals for higher quality then more people will come resulting in a large income of money for the company.

doctornick

Then how else do you explain the gap in attendance between MK and the other parks? People still buy one-day, one-park tickets to "Disney World", go to MK, and then move on to something else in Florida. I know someone who did just this earlier this year. Some people only want to do one day at Disney, and pay accordingly.

I totally agree with your point, but I would also say that a lot of people who do 1 or 2 weeks at WDW spend a greater number of days at MK than other parks. Especially people with young kids -- I know two families who recently went down for a week and both spent 3 days at MK and only 1 at each of the other parks. That also jacks up the attendance at MK relatively to the others but doesn't involve 1 day passes.

BoarderPhreak

Only the US parks have 100% of their funding come from Disney. One of your examples, Tokyo Disney Resort, gets 0% from Disney.
Really now? That's interesting. So they're just licensing from Disney? I would imagine then, that other than that - Disney makes no money off that park either? Didn't realize that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom