New 2013 WDW Ticket Prices

RSoxNo1

What I want to know is why Disney do not promote Anaheim to us (UK), but our "Florida adverts" seem to be completely filmed in California?

Our latest one shows Great Moments with Mr Lincoln in the background of a Main Street shot, outside Tea Cups, Sleeping Beauty's Castle, and California's Main Street Bakery.

Our advert uses part of this one...

Previous adverts have used Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters as well.

Obviously they would prefer that we went to WDW over Anaheim, but why not give us what I would guess are American adverts for Florida, instead of what I would guess are American adverts for California? They don't care, and just don't think that we notice - even though we all sit and point what is California and what is Florida every year - why not advertise Epcot/DHS/DAK/TL/BB?
It would be interesting to see if they could get in trouble for "false advertising" - after all, our tea cups have a roof on them and I can't watch Great Moments with Mr Lincoln in Orlando.

We have done Paris in 2000 and are looking at Anaheim in 2018.

I will say that Disney World adds have gotten better lately. They're starting to showcase major rides now.

Bolna

If I'm heading Universal I would offer discounts to Disney World DVC members.

You know, with the way Universal seems to become more aggressive regarding their pricing I wonder whether they might not do that in the future. But then, it might also create a bit of a backlash with the owners of other timeshares in the area.

Bolna

Thinking about how Universal used to follow the Disney price increases. If I remember correctly, last year Universal raised their prices first, then Disney announced an even higher increase and shortly afterwards Universal followed.

This year Universal again was first and now Disney has increased the MK to higher than Uni, while the other three parks are less than Universal. I wonder how Universal is going to react. Are they going to follow the MK lead - and thereby showing confidence that their parks are as great a value as the MK, leaving only the other three WDW parks behind? Or are they happy with their pricing in between the WDW parks?

Maerj

The above is the price for WDW in 1983. Cheap isn't it? Well, consider this. At the time the average person was making $350.00 per week or much, much less (minimum wage was $3.35 per hour). Out of that we had to pay for housing, in my case two cars, utilities, food for a family of four and necessary clothing, etc. for two young children, health insurance, life insurance, car insurance and vacations. It was more of a chore to come up with the money for those above shown prices then it is for me to pay for it now. All things are relative. It may seem like things are extremely expensive and if you compare it with what it costs for other venues, Disney is practically giving it away. 12 or more straight hours of rides, entertainment, spectacular sights and sounds, parades, fireworks and all for, at most, $100.00 per day. (almost no one pays that actually)

That said...the one place that they do indeed gouge the public is for hotel rooms. There is not any possible way to justify those rates. None! The parks are just reasons to get you to stay in a resort, those are cheap, it's everything else that is over the top. That includes meals.

Problem is... a lot of us are still only making $350 a week and now trying to afford WDW at today's prices.

Mr.MouseFan

I'm not going to bark about the prices because, frankly, there is no point and I will still be going every year anyway. I find it interesting that Disney would price MK above the other parks. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but it certainly gives off a negative impression on the "value" of the other parks. On the surface, to me at least, it just doesn't look good.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Problem is... a lot of us are still only making $350 a week and now trying to afford WDW at today's prices.

Not trying to be insensitive here, but if you are making $350 a week you really probably shouldn't be considering an annual trip to WDW. For a family of 4 that would be below the federal poverty level. For an individual it's a little above, but still...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not trying to be insensitive here, but if you are making $350 a week you really probably shouldn't be considering an annual trip to WDW. For a family of 4 that would be below the federal poverty level. For an individual it's a little above, but still...

+++1000

Maerj

Well, it's actually considered pretty decent for this area and there are really no other employment options. That $350 is after taxes, insurance, etc. and is just ONE person's paycheck. I've actually heard people I work with say "Wow, I just heard what the poverty level is and we're under it..." I say, believe me, I know.

As a couple, with two paychecks, we can get by alright. Luckily, the Mrs. makes a bit more than I do. But the yearly trips to WDW stopped after we had a child and with the yearly increases, with little to no increases in pay, it may be a WDW every 5 years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, it's actually considered pretty decent for this area and there are really no other employment options. That $350 is after taxes, insurance, etc. and is just ONE person's paycheck. I've actually heard people I work with say "Wow, I just heard what the poverty level is and we're under it..." I say, believe me, I know. As a couple, with two paychecks, we can get by alright. But the yearly trips to WDW stopped after we had a child and with the yearly increases, with little to no increases in pay, it may be a WDW every 5 years.

$350 a week after tax with 2 incomes would make it a lot more reasonable to consider, but I can understand why you would have cut back to about every 5 years. The more these prices go up the more people are going to be cut out.

Maerj

$350 a week after tax with 2 incomes would make it a lot more reasonable to consider, but I can understand why you would have cut back to about every 5 years. The more these prices go up the more people are going to be cut out.

The $350 is my income only. I'm not 100% sure what my wife brings home a week but I know it's a little bit more. My point was look at the WDW price increases while people's incomes have remained stagnant in comparison.

sloanfreak

The Magic has died for me, I will not be planning any Disney trips in the near future. I am a lifelong Disney fanatic who in my 42 years on this planet has taken 50+ Disney vacations.

Luckily I live 30 minutes from the greatest Amusement Park in the World, Cedar Point and for $180 I can get a Platinum Pass that includes parking and it also allows entry to ALL 17 of the Cedar Fair Amusement and Water Parks.

Disney - It was great will it lasted. When we do make it to Florida it will be a beach vacation, Universal/Island of Adventure, Sea World/Aquatica or a cruise. The only Disney thing we will do is hit Downtown Disney.

Goofyernmost

That is a problem, but, it is a natural problem. No one starts at the top unless they inherited something. All of us started someplace where a luxury like Disney was out of reach. There were many things when I started out that I could not afford to do. I might have wished it was cheaper as to include me, but I didn't think it was unfair or that those things were overpriced. They were just priced above my ability to pay for them. However, eventually they were within my reach and I was able to do them. Sometimes one just has to wait until their time comes, it isn't a sprint, it's a long term life. Hopefully!:)

rodserling27

Regarding the $18 price for a one-day passport in 1983...that's about $32 in 2013 money (inflation). Granted, WDW has much more to offer than it did in the 80s, but that price is nowhere near the astronomical rate of $90/$95 for a one-day pass. So folks might be making more money these days, but the rate has not risen in proper ratio with how much people make.

Maerj

That is a problem, but, it is a natural problem. No one starts at the top unless they inherited something. All of us started someplace where a luxury like Disney was out of reach. There were many things when I started out that I could not afford to do. I might have wished it was cheaper as to include me, but I didn't think it was unfair or that those things were overpriced. They were just priced above my ability to pay for them. However, eventually they were within my reach and I was able to do them. Sometimes one just has to wait until their time comes, it isn't a sprint, it's a long term life. Hopefully!:)

Not saying that anything is unfair and I have been to WDW many times before. I am saying that the inflation of ticket prices is outweighing the wage increases for average people. If one can still easily afford it, great. I have no problem with that. But for a working family trying to take their big, magical trip it can be very daunting. So much so, there are many who just won't try to go at all as they cannot afford it. If Disney would stop inflating their prices out of the reach of working families, they could in fact end up making more money as more people would be able to afford a WDW trip.

And to quote Mr. Serling:

Regarding the $18 price for a one-day passport in 1983...that's about $32 in 2013 money (inflation). Granted, WDW has much more to offer than it did in the 80s, but that price is nowhere near the astronomical rate of $90/$95 for a one-day pass. So folks might be making more money these days, but the rate has not risen in proper ratio with how much people make.

willtravel

I'm not going to bark about the prices because, frankly, there is no point and I will still be going every year anyway. I find it interesting that Disney would price MK above the other parks. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but it certainly gives off a negative impression on the "value" of the other parks. On the surface, to me at least, it just doesn't look good.
This MK ticket pricing reminds me of the special offers for Disney hotels now. No more flat 30% off all deluxe, 25% all moderates, etc..... now select hotels have select pricing, select views, etc.... The first time I saw that it was what the h%$$! And so the game begins..:mad: I am waiting for them to charge more for tickets during high times.

yellowb

No offense, but if you can randomly swing into the Disney store and just buy that at the drop of your hat, I don't think Disney is out priced for you in the slightest! If you had this money set aside then that makes sense. You should be lucky you can afford to buy a pass in the first place!

We had obviously already budgeted for the other ticket, so I decided to save myself $35. We are not out priced by the AP yet, but the rate of increase is more than our rate of salary increase, so mathematically it is only a matter of time before a decision needs to be made about how often we will be able to visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom