New ‘Haunted Mansion’ Movie in the Works

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date

Mac Tonight

What are the odds of Indy 5 being any good?
Harrison Ford is 78 years old... so unless there's a re-cast and re-boot attempt, I'd say not great odds.

No one wants to see Indiana Jones and the Forbidden Convalescent Home. He's fought off Nazi's and aliens... but here comes AARP!

SuddenStorm

Indy 5 was announced with Speilberg and Lucas and now neither are involved, not even sure what the point is anymore.

I'm probably in the minority here but the only Indy film I care to watch is Raiders. As far as I'm concerned, the IP consists of Raiders and Indiana Jones Adventure.

Last Crusade and Temple are solid films but don't hold a candle to the original.

Figments Friend

I'm probably in the minority here but the only Indy film I care to watch is Raiders. As far as I'm concerned, the IP consists of Raiders and Indiana Jones Adventure.

Last Crusade and Temple are solid films but don't hold a candle to the original.

Agree.

Just saw 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' earlier this week at my local AMC cinema, in a small theater with a lovely big screen and a fabulous sound system.
Fantastic to see this on the big screen again...last time was in 1981!
Four other people in the theater with me....so it was like a private showing.
$5 admission.
So glad I went.

Love this movie.
I've seen it many times over the years, but nothing compares to seeing it on the big screen.
I saw and heard things I never noticed before...and that music in a theater with only five other bodies in a theater...?
Oh bliss!

:)

-

D.Silentu

Well, I'm not exactly pleased to be updating this thread but for better or worse the Haunted Mansion movie seems to be moving forward. Justin Simien will apparently direct; hard to know what to make of that as he only has a few movies under his belt, though one was critically praised. Otherwise, no new details concerning story.

CaptinEO

I'm sure it will be just as forgettable and miss the source material just as much as these films:

Tower of Terror
The Country Bears
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Jungle Cruise (probably)
2003 Haunted Mansion
Tomorrowland
Mission to Mars

Californian Elitist

I'm sure it will be just as forgettable and miss the source material just as much as these films:

Tower of Terror
The Country Bears
Pirates of the Caribbean
2003 Haunted Mansion
Tomorrowland
Mission to Mars
Which of the five Pirates films are you referring to?

smooch

Tower of Terror
The Country Bears
Pirates of the Caribbean
2003 Haunted Mansion
Tomorrowland
Mission to Mars
Pirates of the Caribbean was honestly pretty good though, I wish the first one was the only one made as it suffered as a franchise from getting drawn out and played out. I also somewhat enjoyed Tomorrowland but not as a movie referencing the land, if it was just the same movie but named some random sci-fi future city rather than Tomorrowland I would have probably liked it more. I do have the pin I got from seeing it opening night still pinned on my Herschel side-bag.

PiratesMansion

Well, I'm not exactly pleased to be updating this thread but for better or worse the Haunted Mansion movie seems to be moving forward. Justin Simien will apparently direct; hard to know what to make of that as he only has a few movies under his belt, though one was critically praised. Otherwise, no new details concerning story.

D.Silentu

Pirates of the Caribbean was honestly pretty good though, I wish the first one was the only one made as it suffered as a franchise from getting drawn out and played out. I also somewhat enjoyed Tomorrowland but not as a movie referencing the land, if it was just the same movie but named some random sci-fi future city rather than Tomorrowland I would have probably liked it more.
I can't speak for the sequels, but the first pirates really is a terrific movie. It also surprised me because it went darker than the average Disney film had up to that point. I'm commenting because of the Tomorrowland reference though. I feel like it's such an underrated story, if bogged down in a few places. What really bothers me is that it suffers such correctable flaws, which a talented editor could have set right. As it is I respect it and believe it touches that elusive quality that is Disney.

However, the most interesting thing about Tomorrowland is that it is not the land that we can visit at a Disney park. The movie has its own independent vision, merely inspired by the philosophy of the Disneyland original. I cannot stress how much I hope that this is the approach they are taking with the Haunted Mansion. The movie will no doubt find inspiration in moments from the ride, as it should. Yet it should also strive for its own identity that can be belong exclusively to the film without backwashing onto the namesake attractions.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Which of the five Pirates films are you referring to?

Pirates of the Caribbean was honestly pretty good though, I wish the first one was the only one made as it suffered as a franchise from getting drawn out and played out. I also somewhat enjoyed Tomorrowland but not as a movie referencing the land, if it was just the same movie but named some random sci-fi future city rather than Tomorrowland I would have probably liked it more. I do have the pin I got from seeing it opening night still pinned on my Herschel side-bag.
I agree that the first pirates was a fun enjoyable film. I rewatched it recently and feel it hasn't really held up unfortunately. It's by no means a cinematic masterpiece.

Never saw Tommorowland but have only heard from others reactions. I think that also with pirates it would be better without references to Disneyland, as they clearly wanted to do their own thing.

KIGhostGuy

Tower of Terror
The Country Bears
Pirates of the Caribbean
2003 Haunted Mansion
Tomorrowland
Mission to Mars
I love the Tower of Terror movie and I feel it captures the ride pretty well.

smooch

I agree that the first pirates was a fun enjoyable film. I rewatched it recently and feel it hasn't really held up unfortunately. It's by no means a cinematic masterpiece.

Never saw Tommorowland but have only heard from others reactions. I think that also with pirates it would be better without references to Disneyland, as they clearly wanted to do their own thing.
I rewatched Pirates at the beginning of the pandemic when a few people on here did weekly movie nights for Disney+ and I was actually surprised how well I felt it held up. It's wasn't incredible by any means but it was 100% a fun movie with good moments and impressive CGI with the skeletons in the moonlight stuff.

smooch

I can't speak for the sequels, but the first pirates really is a terrific movie. It also surprised me because it went darker than the average Disney film had up to that point. I'm commenting because of the Tomorrowland reference though. I feel like it's such an underrated story, if bogged down in a few places. What really bothers me is that it suffers such correctable flaws, which a talented editor could have set right. As it is I respect it and believe it touches that elusive quality that is Disney.

However, the most interesting thing about Tomorrowland is that it is not the land that we can visit at a Disney park. The movie has its own independent vision, merely inspired by the philosophy of the Disneyland original. I cannot stress how much I hope that this is the approach they are taking with the Haunted Mansion. The movie will no doubt find inspiration in moments from the ride, as it should. Yet it should also strive for its own identity that can be belong exclusively to the film without backwashing onto the namesake attractions.
I agree that the fact that Tomorrowland was an actual city just inspired by some of the aesthetics of Tomorrowland in Disneyland (mostly Space Mountain honestly) made it interesting but there really wouldn't be a way to make it a Tomorrowland movie about the land itself at least in it's current mishmash of IP form. I did like the story for the most part, it was an entertaining movie but it wasn't the best thing I had seen either, but like I said I think the fact that it was named Tomorrowland and sorta gave the impression it would really tie into the land gave people unrealistic expectations of what the movie would be. I do truly think it would have been received better / not disappointed as many people if it was just set in a randomly named city and they could've kept the same aesthetic / plot / everything.

I agree I hope Haunted Mansion goes somewhere in that direction, I'm not sure what exactly I expect the plot to be or the tone of the movie in general but I won't set my expectations very high honestly, I would rather be pleasantly surprised than be disappointed.

waltography

I so deeply wanted Tomorrowland to be good if only because I liked the aesthetic and if it did well it might spur a Tomorrowland re-do, but it spoiled a decent idea and made it quite bland. The ARG made to hype up the movie was far better than the movie itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom