New ‘Haunted Mansion’ Movie in the Works

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date

mickEblu

Yeah, these franchises having a 2 women are so oppressive to male egos. The movie is inspired by the ride, not an adaptation of the ride.

Again where did I make this about one movie in particular? Don’t pick and choose whatever piece of my post is convenient for your “response” and ignore the entire message.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Well, how much money did that film make? Even if it wasn't received well critically, that film being successful at the box office would likely be enough of a reason for Disney to get that film's writer.
The movie made around $230 million. Considering that it was to planned to be a franchise starter, I'd assume they wanted something closer to the first Iron Man at over $500 million.

DrAlice

I made a list a few weeks ago of the movies Disney has released over the last 5+ years and the female empowerment thing is getting repetitive and that annoys me. They re over correcting for the last 2000 years like everything else in society.
Doesn't bother me, but you're entitled to be irritated by whatever you want. We all have something. :)

The more important issue here... will a new HM movie lead to ridiculous movie tie-ins to the ride that removes the charm of the original?

PiratesMansion

Doesn't bother me, but you're entitled to be irritated by whatever you want. We all have something. :)

The more important issue here... will a new HM movie lead to ridiculous movie tie-ins to the ride that removes the charm of the original?
1598754202002.png

Curious Constance

Not sure why you would get annoyed, unless it isn't done well. If the character is well executed in the story, then it shouldn't matter. In this case, there really isn't anything about Trader Sam in the ride that requires him to be male. The gag works just as well if the animatronic is female.
For me, if it really was just the luck of the draw and they simply chose the best person for the role and she happened to be female then fine. But I don’t believe this is the case today for this film or any other because for that to be true, you’d have to sometimes see the reverse happening too. Sometimes a traditionally female character would be played by a man because he happened to be the best person for that character. But that never happens. Today the popular thought process seems to be that women can’t be empowered or living their best life unless they’re kicking butt and doing everything a man can do exactly as a man could do it. Baffling to me. Society needs the strengths of both males and females. 🤷‍♀️

Professortango1

Again where did I make this about one movie in particular? Don’t pick and choose whatever piece of my post is convenient for your “response” and ignore the entire message.

I said franchises, implying more than one. The new Star Wars had 2 new female characters and fragile man boys lost their mind. They made a Captain Marvel movie out of the dozens of male Marvel films and people cried about it. Letting female characters be a part of the story isn't a bad thing.

Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't terrible because women were the leads, it was terrible because the writing and direction was bad. It would have been just as bad with an all male cast.

Trader Sam being a woman isn't good or bad. Its just a casting decision. Nothing to have a meltdown over.

George Lucas on a Bench

I said franchises, implying more than one. The new Star Wars had 2 new female characters and fragile man boys lost their mind. They made a Captain Marvel movie out of the dozens of male Marvel films and people cried about it. Letting female characters be a part of the story isn't a bad thing.

Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't terrible because women were the leads, it was terrible because the writing and direction was bad. It would have been just as bad with an all male cast.

Trader Sam being a woman isn't good or bad. Its just a casting decision. Nothing to have a meltdown over.

Hold it right there. You're not getting away with this.

Ghostbroads was a gigantic disaster for many reasons including the terrible writing, but the leads being women obviously contributed to this. You don't make a sequel to a beloved film series and replace your main characters. That's what they did. And that's why they failed. The original movie was about men and appealed to men. No surprise there that a movie about wacky ghost hunting exterminator scientists who chainsmoke and drink beer would appeal primarily to men. Replace your cast with women, bye bye audience. See: Ghostbroads.

mickEblu

Lol. Meltdown? Guess that means I won the argument. Goodnight

SplashGhost

I want a dark Haunted Mansion movie not another comedy like the Eddie Murphy one. Ghostbusters 2016 was so devoid of any darker elements that it made the originals seem like ultra dark horror movies in comparison. This writer does not at all seem like a good fit for the project.

My biggest worry is how they will use this movie as an excuse to mess with the ride.

Zorro

This HM fan doesn't believe that there will ever be a decent movie tribute to our favorite 999 ghosts. To be fair, there are elements that I do like in the Eddie Murphy film, but overall it's a dreadful affair. Disney showed back then that it was more interested in producing pablum than conveying the attraction's quirky gothicism. Also, I've never been that optimistic about Guillermo del Toro's proposed film. Every time I saw him interviewed on the subject he would always stress how he wanted to make a dark and scary film. The problem there is that, as big a fan as he is of the HM, I don't think he really understands the character of the attraction all that well. The attraction has a delicate balance of genuine spookiness and broad humor that at times borders upon the slapstick. To focus upon the dark to the exclusion of the humor will produced a flawed product that is not representative of the original source. The Eddie Murphy film emphasized the silly aspect to the detriment of the spookiness, and we got a bad film. If GDT ever made his film, we would have likely gotten a humorless, dark film. In other words, GDT would have committed the same sins as the 2003 filmmakers but in the opposite direction.

As for Katie Dippold, frankly I don't know that much about her other than her estrogen-laced Ghostbusters bombed. If I could, I would make these recommendations to her:
1. Keep politics out of the film. We have had a lot of non-sense coming from both the left and the right recently, and we need to have some non-political zones. Just look into the mirror a few times a day and say to yourself "I'm not Stanley Kramer. I don't need to make message films all the time."
2. Be comfortable with the idea that you don't have to make a so-called family film. That doesn't mean that the film should not appeal to a general, broad audience, but you don't need to try to appeal to everyone. Little children have been freaking out about going on the attraction since 1969. Why should the film be any different? BTW, a little known film-maker took this approach with some stop motion film in the early 1990s. I wonder how that film turned out.
3. For some inspiration, take a look at some of Vincent Price's horror-comedies of the 1960s like The Comedy of Terrors, The Raven, and the Dr. Phibes films. These films successfully combined legitimate chills with macabre comedy. Just the perfect blend for a HM film.

PiratesMansion

The first 3 minutes of existing film are probably the best we're ever going to get from a HM movie. They are perfect (other than the CGI which has aged poorly). Too bad about the rest of it, despite some excellent set design.

They should have just stopped after those three minutes and called it a day.

Last edited:

Supreme Leader

She wrote some great material for Parks and Rec. so it really depends on the tone of the film that the director wants that'll be make or break the writing for it and it also depends on the cast too. Whatever director they choose hopefully understands the ride's nature and themes enough to make some sort of film out of it.

SuddenStorm

Better idea- Disney should make a traditional hand drawn Br'er Tales film or series that focuses on the traditional African folklore and distances the characters away from Joel Chandler Harris, and gives them an origin that's removed from Song of the South.

And then cancel Frog Mountain, instead opting to create a high quality Tiana dark ride from the ground up where the New Orleans Square Train Station currently sits. Incorporate a new highly themed station into the structure, a fully fledged Tiana's restaurant into the ride structure.

Haunted Mansion doesn't need a new movie.

D.Silentu

The whole thing seems to be stepping out with the wrong foot. I would have thought that the way the Eddie Murphey film is remembered would have some bearing on the creative direction of the remake. Really, is anyone here interested in a Haunted Mansion comedy? I would love for Disney to have taken a chance and made something similar in tone to Watcher In The Woods. I remember when I saw concept artwork for the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, prior to release. I recall sadly thinking that Disney would never do skeleton pirates as eerie and gruesome as those depicted in the art. You can imagine how thrilled I was when those skeletal designs actually appeared in the movie! That's the kind of surprise that this Haunted Mansion adaptation should offer, but it looks like they have other baffling plans.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Disneyland is going to be a very, very different place in 10 years time. Pirates and Mansion both getting new films with a new cast which, if successful, will necessitate changes to the ride. Same with Jungle Cruise. Frog Mountain and the accompanying Frogland.

I anticipate more changes to classic attractions in the next decade than at any other point since the '80s.

And this is why i'm beginning to distance myself from Disney parks 😞👍nothing is safe

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom